Has it been THAT long?

NOTES

1 ... This is a "woa, can ya believe so many years have past since...?" topic/thread.

2 ... I'm not even sure exactly WHY I'm sharing this, but maybe we'll find out....

Every now and then, an anniversary will hit, and, when you realize just how many years have gone by and what all has happened since that event, you pause for a moment ... and wonder just where has the time gone.

Such is the case for me, December 27, 2007; because, 20 years ago, December 27, 1987, my original/then best friend, Josh, died of a severe asthma attack. It was a shock to me ... a shy guy who had FEW friends and was so NOT popular. Of course, as it most-often does, time has eased the pain ... and that experience has made me a better person. It didn't "back then", but since I've come out of my shell, met many people during my road trips, become friends with many of you, and turned some things around, that experience has been there ... always ... shaping me, without me even realizing it fully.

Likewise, 2007 marks several other "milestones", including (but not limited to, of course)...

30 years ago:

November 1977, my 1st open heart surgery

#1 hits include...Glen Campbell's "Southern Nights", Kenny Rogers' "Lucille", The Kendalls' "Heaven's Just A Sin Away", and Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again"

25 years ago:

spring 1982, my parents bought '81 Monte Carlo SC, which became mine in 1999

#1 hits include...Juice Newton's "The Sweetest Thing", Oak Ridge Boys' "Bobbie Sue", Willie Nelson's "Always On My Mind", David Frizzell's "I'm Gonna Hire A Wino To Decorate Our Home", Sylvia's "Nobody", Jerry Reed's "She Got The Goldmine (I Got The Shaft)", and Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You"

20 years ago:

March 1987, my 2nd open heart surgery

October 1987, stock market crash; the girl in Texas fell down the well; RFer Andre Dawson, with a league-leading 49 HRs for the last-place Chicago Cubs, was named NL MVP.

November 1987, Chicago's mayor Harold Washington died in office, the day before Thanksgiving

December 11, 1987, production ended for the Ch#$r%*et Monte Carlo, my favorite car

#1 hits include...Michael Johnson's "Give Me Wings", Restless Heart's "Why Does It Have To Be (Wrong Or Right)", Hank Williams Jr's "Born To Boogie", and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Fishing In The Dark"

15 years ago:

June 1992, I graduated HS

October 1992, I purchased my first car, a 1979 MC Landau, which I still have

#1 hits include...Collin Raye's "Love, Me", Reba McEntire's "Is There Life Out There?", Billy Ray Cyrus' "Achy Breaky Heart", Mark Chestnut's "I'll Think Of Something", Wynonna's "No One Else On Earth", and Alabama's "I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why)"

10 years ago:

September 1997, I purchased my first brand-new car, since long gone

December 1997, we had to put our family dog, a silky-haired terrior named Fibber, to sleep 3 days before Christmas

#1 hits include...Kevin Sharp's "Nobody Knows" and Tim McGraw/Faith Hill's "It's Your Love"

5 years ago:

March 2002, I purchased my 1972 MC, completing my collection of one of each MC generation

October 2002, Gram (Mom's mom), with whom I was close, died.

December 2002, a stress test revealed that I needed a 3rd open heart surgery ... pronto

#1 hits include...JoDee Messina's "Bring On The Rain", Brooks and Dunn's "Long Goodbye", Kenny Chesney's "The Good Stuff", Darryl Worley's "I Miss My Friend", and Keith Urban's "Somebody Like You"

So ... how about YOU? Did 2007 feature any milestone anniversaries?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Another year comes to a close" ... Sylvia ... 'Reflections'

2007 has been a tough year for me as well. At the beginning of the year I learned that my long time partner had been cheating on me with a married man. Sleeping with other guys was not in our relationship agreement. Unfortunately, he contacte HIV from this married guy and I ended the relationship immediately. I moved my family from Cochrane to Montana where we are living now. I have had to begin a new life and being a single dad is not easy, but thankfully great people around you and a good sense of who you are (and your spirituality) can get you through almost anything. I also lost my father this year after a sudden heart attack that left him with little brain function. Turning off the machines was very hard on all of us. Despite the tough times, 2007 has been good with many good things happening such as my son graduating from college with a 4.0 GPA and my daughter continuing to grow into someone I not only love because she is my daughter but someone who I respect and trust to do the right thing.

There were no special anniversaries for me this year. I just look at 2007 as a year of transition.

I hope that 2008 is a better year for not only myself but also for everyone here.

Cheers.

Heh ... well, this certainly wasn't supposed to be a "downer" topic ... sorry 2007 was so bad for so many people :(.

It wasn't that bad for me....

While cars help set up the "timeline of life" as much as music does [which is why I love doing the radio shows ... to return in January ... more later], I somehow forgot to note some TV shows in that mix. I had thought about it while typing the original post, but forgot to include them. So, a bit late:

1977 TV shows included ... ABC's "Laverne & Shirley"; ABC's "Happy Days"; ABC's "Charlie's Angels"; CBS' "All In The Family"; NBC's "Little House On The Prairie"; and CBS' "Alice".

1982 TV shows included ... CBS' "Dallas"; CBS' "Magnum PI"; ABC's "The Love Boat"; and CBS' "The Jeffersons".

1987 TV shows included ... NBC's "The Cosby Show"; NBC's "Cheers"; NBC's "The Golden Girls"; ABC's "Growing Pains"; ABC's "Who's The Boss?"; CBS' "Murder, She Wrote"; NBC's "ALF"; ABC's "The Wonder Years"; ABC's "Moonlighting"; and NBC's "LA Law".

1992 TV shows included ... ABC's "Home Improvement"; CBS' "Murphy Brown"; CBS' "Murder, She Wrote"; NBC's "Cheers"; and CBS' "Northern Exposure".

1997 TV shows included ... CBS' "Cybill"; NBC's "Friends"; ABC's "Spin City"; CBS' "Touched By An Angel"; CBS' "Early Edition"; and ABC's "Home Improvement".

2002 TV shows included ... WB's "Smallville"; NBC's "Will & Grace"; FOX's "Boston Public"; ABC's "8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter"; CBS' "CSI"; and ABC's "NYPD Blue".

"I shiver when I see the falling snow" ... Merle Haggard ... 'If We Make It Through December'

No big anniversaries that I can think of for me this year...

Actually, I'm probably the happiest I've been in a long time. School is progressing nicely, I have excellent friends, loving family and a girlfriend that cares for me. I have 2 places I call home (finally) instead of home and "where I stay for school" The summer was packed full of heavy metal events and peaceful car shows (The two things that make me tick) I started learning guitar (again, finally) and am about to pick my violin back up after a 13 year hiatus. GM is on a roll, MetallicA is about to release a "follow up to And Justice For All" which is my favorite 'TallicA album... Yadda, yadda...

Looking back:

My best year was probably 1998... Got my license and my first Camaro (Which has quite a story behind it if anyone has 20 minutes of boredom to spare) Dale Earnhardt (One of my biggest heroes) won the great race. I was young, free of responsibility, well known and popular. (Those romantic high school days, with the perfect 'small town' atmosphere) And gas was .98/gallon.

My worst year by far was 2001... Dale Earnhardt died, and with him a little piece of me did. (Yep, you might think it's dumb or cliche, but the beauty is; I don't care) MetallicA broke up and James Hetfield (Another one of my heroes) went into rehab. Oldsmobile was phased out. The Camaro was phased out. My family was betrayed and my dad lost his job. As a result I 1) went into deep depression and had to quit/flunk out of college to pay the bills 2) I got so bad with reckless behavior, confrontation and general bad thoughts/actions that I had to enter therapy as well as anger management.

But, as a wise man once said; "The human battery runs off of both positive and negative energy. We're just really good at the negative stuff."

(Extra points to anyone that knows who)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

But, as a wise man once said; "The human battery runs off of both positive and negative energy. We're just really good at the negative stuff."

(Extra points to anyone that knows who)

I won't get those extra points ... but, that is an awesome quote. Course, some of us have an extra boost of battery power ;). he he.

"I'm going to make it to heaven" ... Irene Cara ... 'Fame'

Metallica ROCKS! I've been listening to them nonstop lately. I didn't realize they broke up though? :(

Technically, they did for a couple of years when Jason (the bassist) left and James (lead singer) went into rehab. Then when they re-united they finally finished "St. Anger" (2003) which is, to many, their worst effort to date. The new CD is supposed to sound like the missing link between "... And Justice For All" and "Metallica" (The Black Album) which means it won't be as one dimensional as the last 2 or 3 records.

I won't get those extra points ... but, that is an awesome quote. Course, some of us have an extra boost of battery power ;). he he.

Those are the words of James Hetfield, the lead singer of MetallicA :metal::D

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Guest YellowJacket894

My 2007 started out tasting like $h!, then started tasting like a nine-course meal from a fine European restaurant by August.

So help me God if 2008 starts tasting like 2007 did when it first started ...

Edited by YellowJacket894

Oh Cort, you missed the biggest 30th anniversary event of them all: May 25, 1977 - Star Wars opens in theaters!!! Well, at east to us Star Wars geeks that was the most important anniversary of 2007 :P

Pro: I celebrated my 10th anniversary of graduating from college (Rider Univdersity) this past month (December) :thumbsup:

Con: December, 2007 also marks the fact I had to sell my "baby", my 2007 Saturn SKY, due to financial debts :banghead:

YJ ... interesting description of your year ;).

Oh Cort, you missed the biggest 30th anniversary event of them all: May 25, 1977 - Star Wars opens in theaters!!! Well, at east to us Star Wars geeks that was the most important anniversary of 2007 :P

LOL!

Someone else pointed that out to me, too. I'm not a big SW fan, but I was surprised that I hadn't remembered that ;).

"The truth is discovered" ... Squeeze ... 'Tempted'