Classic Beetles

Satty

In the 60's and 70's my parents collected Beetles like they were going out of style. My dad and a friend of his could yank an engine, tear it down, reassemble and throw it back in the car in no time. Eventually having kids caught up and my dad hasn't owned one in years.

Cut to 2007. I spent insane amounts of time looking for a "kayak car" that I would be cheap, reliable and I could use for a handful of mile per year at least, ideally it would be reliable enough to let me unload my Fusion. After having a few things fall through (still pissed about the '87 Caprice wagon" I put my search off until spring 2008.

Cut to yesterday. During a casual conversation, I learn of a guy selling two VW Beetles. One complete running 1977, not in the greatest shape, but its solid. The other is a '63 thats in boxes, ready to restore. $2000 for the set. My dad would then pay me $1000 for the '63. I am so totally tempted, but the guy isn't in a big hurry to sell, so I'm going to mull it over a bit.

Not a bad deal at all. If you want the '77 to drive right away, I'd check the floorboards, etc. for rust before taking the plunge. If you want it as a project, go for it - parts are plentiful for these, and you could always turn it into a dune buggy.

I'd drive the 77. It sounds like the floorboards are solid, but the trunk has some rust, I need to take a close look, the area under the spare is problematic. '77s seem to be pretty unloved amongst collectors, so I wont feel bad if I put a bunch of miles on it and maybe leave a dent or two in the roof.

Beetles are cool restoration projects and they have an insane following. (Which is why the 60's models are usually expensive)

I think you have a pretty good deal there as long as the '77 isn't falling apart.

My mom was into Beetles pretty big back in the day and has talked about buying one to restore. I have a friend that cut one up (parts car) and built a rail buggy out of it. It seemed like such a fun project because it was very inexpensive (I think he has like $3000-$5000 in it) and the possibilities for customization were endless.