NYTimes drives the Solstice

tmp

[quote]the most successful sports car ever, the Mazda MX-5 Miata -[/quote]

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

[quote]So I packed a load of healthy skepticism into my Solstice test car. I went looking for flaws and quickly found some.[/quote]

Typical...

[quote]I groused about the lack of storage for cellphone,[/quote]

Ever hear of a pants pocket??? Oh wait, old people wear those tight pants.

[quote]P.D.A.[/quote]

Goes in your business briefcase

[quote]and tape recorder.[/quote]

For WHAT?

[quote]I mentioned flaws. While there is a glovebox, pockets on the seat cushions and a cubby on the cabin's rear wall, there's no place to toss sunglasses or gadgets. I kept wondering why a couple of shallow trays hadn't been molded into the blank plastic covering the driveline tunnel.

Of the three cup holders, two are hilarious. They pop out of the back wall of the cabin, keeping your coffee handy at your elbow. When the top is down, hot liquid blows on your arm.

The off light for the passenger air bag is glaringly prominent. The seatback adjuster is wedged in so tightly you can't use it when seated. Annoying power locks won't let you out until the key is removed.

The trunk is missing in action. The fuel tank intrudes, chopping up the space, which vanishes when the roof is lowered. If you're planning a sunny weekend getaway with a close friend, figure on sharing a thong - or check into a clothing-optional resort. (Pontiac is working on a luggage rack for the deck lid.)[/quote]

Hate to say I told you so, but SAME STORY/DIFFERENT DAY folks....

GM will never make a car good enough to appease the bias, and he even admits it himself at the beginning of the article.

Decent article, but pretty negative. IMO.

FOG, I have to say... it's incredible--your writing is so recognizable--I read your psot but didn't see who had written it at first, and I said, "Only one man gets this irate over an article bashing GM's cars' flaws... FOG." :) I'm proud to have you on our side man--the media does a great job at making anything seem like crud in just a few words.

Yeah, while not biased, they're just lame gripes. Most at least. No room for a tape recorder? My car doesn't have a mounting bracket for a dictophone, but I'm not complaining.

As for the power locks, they're programmable idiot. How long have you been driving? Well, quite awhile I guess ever since the days of tape recorders.

Merely pointing out flaws isn't "bias." However, I'm not familiar with NY Times car reviews, so I don't know if this is consistent.

[post="31745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree.. I was probably being a little overly critical (As always)

But, my point is this; the Solstice is supposed to be a no frills roadster, not nessecerily a daily driver and not really something that is supposed to be as practical as a sedan or SUV.

In that mission (A no frills roadtser) the Solstice EXCELS!!! And he even admits it himself. So why cast a negative shadow over the article with frivolous, unimportant things (Which I think he did, the article was very cynical overall) if the car satisfies it's purpose.

The Solstice is a roadster, not a swiss army knife or an SUV and I'm sure it's buyers have the common sense to know this and to know that they're going to have to give up some practicality in exchange for sex appeal and style.

IMO saying things like; "Don't expect to bring a friend unless you expect to share a thong" is over exaggerating the negatives of the car and sways opinions or skeptics or sometimes even people who are favorable to the car.

I think it's a form of bias.

Paolino: Thanks! :blush: In hindsight, sometimes I think my comments are constructive, sometimes I think they're just annoying. Either way, it's how I feel.

I imagine, since he's a 'journnalist', he might talk aloud while he drives, to record his 'impressions'. Thusly, a "tape recorder".

And yes FOG; the article was the typical 'I can't believe I have to test an... an... American car. "I packed a load of healthy skepticism..." what the hell is that? Someone who actually believes the media is not biased, please link us to a review of a hyundai where a similar sentiment was used.

And why no mention of the steady erosion in sales from it's historic high for the mazda, instead of glossing over that flash bulb and calling it what no one else refers to it as; "the most successful sports car ever"? I think the Corvette handily class-leads in 'success' far & above over the retro mazdamazda. Typical pig slop 'journalism' from the pieces quoted here.

And yes FOG; the article was the typical 'I can't believe I have to test an... an... American car. "I packed a load of healthy skepticism..." what the hell is that? Someone who actually believes the media is not biased, please link us to a review of a hyundai where a similar sentiment was used.

I know... It's a sad day when the media even openly ADMITS (Numerous times, to boot) to being biased, yet people STILL do not believe it.