Buick May Add small car below LaCrosse, G8 in Jeopardy

By JAMIE LAREAU, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

General Motors may build a Buick luxury car that is sized and priced below the LaCrosse.

Executives are rethinking GM's U.S. product plans in light of new federal regulations requiring an average fuel economy of 35 mpg by 2020, company insiders say. The small Buick could be one outcome.

The vehicle would be based on the Buick Excelle sedan that debuts in China by early next year.

"I definitely think there might be a market for a luxury-crafted smaller car for Buick," says a senior GM source.

GM would have to resolve where in North America to build the car. Also, executives are considering how to position it against other GM brands with compact sedans.

The Toyota Corolla-sized Excelle is based on GM's new global rear-drive architecture, called Alpha, being developed in Germany.

Sources say GM's product plans are affected in other ways by the new fuel economy rules:

-- Pontiac now plans to sell 30,000 units of the 2009 G8 sedan, which debuts this spring. But fuel economy standards mean the car might not be a permanent part of Pontiac's lineup.

-- GMC will get a small SUV at the same time Chevrolet will get a redesigned Equinox in 2010.

-- Hummer probably will get a vehicle smaller than the current H3 — likely to be called H4. The small HX concept that debuted at the Detroit auto show in January previewed the vehicle.

-- Saab plans to unveil a small 9-X concept car next week at the Geneva auto show. Automotive News Europe sources have called the production version of the car the 9-1. GM likely will produce that vehicle after 2010.

Edited by Dodgefan

I've read about the baby buick on a few different sites now. I think that it's a good and bad idea. Good for Buick but bad for Caddy. Certainly the Caddy that will slate under the CTS will be on this new platform but how many variants do we need of this platform?

I think that GM should stick to this formula:

Caddy - RWD and AWD to compete with BMW and MB

Buick and Saab - FWD and AWD to compete with Lexus, Audi and Volvo

Pontiac - RWD

Chevy and Saturn - a mix of FWD and AWD cars and trucks

GMC and Hummer - RWD and 4x4

I guess that the above makes too much sense to GM. Let's keep it simple!

The Alpha model for the US should go to Caddy and Pontiac. The baby Caddy, it's obvious who that would compete against (BMW 1). The G6 should be replaced (I've read rumors that it will) by a new car on this platform. Put in the up-coming 1.4T as the base with a larger 4 banger direct injection turbo as an uplevel option (from the solstice GXP). Make this the GTO and slide a direct injection 6 or even a direct inject turbo 6 (or bi turbo). I know that this won't appeal to those who want the new car to be just like the OG GTO... Well think about it... What was the first GTO? A small entry level car with a high powered engine. Well why can't that be a 4 or 6 pushing 300-350hp and getting around 30mpg?

Discuss...

I've read about the baby buick on a few different sites now. I think that it's a good and bad idea. Good for Buick but bad for Caddy. Certainly the Caddy that will slate under the CTS will be on this new platform but how many variants do we need of this platform?

I think that GM should stick to this formula:

Caddy - RWD and AWD to compete with BMW and MB

Buick and Saab - FWD and AWD to compete with Lexus, Audi and Volvo

Pontiac - RWD

Chevy and Saturn - a mix of FWD and AWD cars and trucks

GMC and Hummer - RWD and 4x4

I guess that the above makes too much sense to GM. Let's keep it simple!

The Alpha model for the US should go to Caddy and Pontiac. The baby Caddy, it's obvious who that would compete against (BMW 1). The G6 should be replaced (I've read rumors that it will) by a new car on this platform. Put in the up-coming 1.4T as the base with a larger 4 banger direct injection turbo as an uplevel option (from the solstice GXP). Make this the GTO and slide a direct injection 6 or even a direct inject turbo 6 (or bi turbo). I know that this won't appeal to those who want the new car to be just like the OG GTO... Well think about it... What was the first GTO? A small entry level car with a high powered engine. Well why can't that be a 4 or 6 pushing 300-350hp and getting around 30mpg?

Discuss...

Because not all of us want to drive a 6 cylinder car...

I'm all for it as long as the G8 stays as a halo... Even if it is a low production halo (20,000-30,000 units)

BTW, I guess this is what GM meant when they kept saying that americans wouldn't be able to buy a car larger than a Malibu if CAFE passes. If that is true, then Zeta is dead. Sad thing is, it's not that GM CAN'T sell a car the size and magnitude of G8. it's that they won't because they're too busy peddling 2500 different trucks and SUVs. I'm not being an anti-truck nazi, but GM needs a balanced portfolio, like yesterday.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

• 1 month later...

Discuss...

Aside from the fact that the first through fourth GTOs were all actually intermediates, I agree.