Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

makeshift center console

5 posts in this topic

One option I am pondering for when my 500 lease is up this fall is to find a dirt cheap used ford freestar to drive for 2 years or so.

generally, i like my vehicles to have a full center console with armrest. I do not like the narrow fold down armrests off the seats that vans typically have.

the interior of many ford products has the same kind of look and plastics. i was debating if a guy could do a hack job on say, a center console from a junked 500 or say migrate the rear console of a freestyle or expedition or something into working between the front seats of the freestar?

obviously developing a solid mounting system and trying to determine the proper height and how you'd need to hack it up to piece it into the new vehicle would be a challenge.

obviously the shifter would remain on the column. i am curiously mainly if anyone thinks a hack job with parts from other similar vehicles could be done....gracefully.

Edited by regfootball

of course it can be done, but I'd rather hack up the Freestar over the console :P

Assuming you have zero care about its negative effects on resale value (who wants to buy a badly modified vehicle?) And your not worried that your potentially shoddy handiwork could potentially harm you in a wreck (bolts come loose etc) then i would say go for it!

but if you do go for it, PLEASE think out your design and make sure you take all the risks into consideration while doing it. I wouldn't want to see you get hurt just so you can rest your arm on something.

i mean if you dont care about looks and just want funcitionality, i say buy a premade universal one from pepboys....

i want a console as soon as i put my buckets in... im either getting a chevelle console or gonna make one:D

oh yeah, it would be planned out and have to look good. if i buy say, an 05 FStar for like 10 grand, I sure as hell am not gonna care about lost value. that's as cheap as it gets already.

i wonder if like a rear seat console from a freestyle or expedition would be the way to go.

Of course, the fStar has the dumb handbrake on the floor too.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0