Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XP715

A Modern Parable

7 posts in this topic

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?arti...281474977067637

Got that in an e-mail this morning. How would we go about disproving a few of the broad, sweeping statements made; particularly the ones where American car manufacturers can't handle costs, blah blah blah. You can tell people facts all day long but they just jump up and down and point to back issues of Consumer Reports, so I need hard facts in black & white (newspaper articles, etc.) to forward this back to all the people it's gone to.

Also, I wonder why the author never mentioned that all the Americans cheer on the Japanese team during the canoe race no matter how hard the Americans try, even though the Japanese company doesn't put anything back into the country they take so much from?

Edited by XP715

Well, in 20 years when Toyota and Honda have the same legacy costs as Detroit, they will have to sell the oars to pay the bills, too.

Just think how profitable Ford and GM would be if only they and Chrysler were 'allowed' to sell cars and trucks here.

i think one of the comments on the page sums it up good too.

One major factor was left out of this parable. The fact that the Unions bleeded the corporation to death. Once they realized that their artifically high wages were hurting the corporation they approached managment and both organizations hurt the corporation. In the end Toyota wins because they have less labor costs.

also i think the reason why the asian companies build factories to sell here is because then you dont have import costs

Japan Inc will only build enough factories here to APPEAR domestic. They learned from the beatings they took in the early '80s. As I've said, MITI is very clever and orchestrates everything Japan Inc. does overseas. The one thing that Japan Inc does a lot better than Detroit is crank up the PR machine.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0