McNabb nabbed

McNabb Lands at GM - Heading New “Premium” Channel
Posted Wednesday, April 16th, 2008 at 3:24 pm
Link to Original Article on The Car Connection

Mark McNabb, who resigned from one of Nissan’s top marketing jobs in North America, has resurfaced at General Motors. The 47-year-old McNabb will joins GM as the head of the company’s new “Premium” sales channel, whch includes the Cadillac, Hummer and Saab brands.. Jim Taylor, Cadillac divisional manager, Martin Walsh, Hummer divisional manager, and Steve Shannon, Saab divisional manager will report to McNabb, GM officials said.

“Mark McNabb is a world-class executive with extensive experience. His background with Mercedes and Infiniti, in addition to Nissan, make him uniquely suited for this new position as the vice president of the premium brands,” said LaNeve, GM vice president of sales, service and marketing. “He is a great addition to our North American team,” LaNeve. McNabb’s appointment is part of GM’s effort to reorganize its sales and marketing effort into distinct four retail channels - Chevrolet, Premium, Buick-Pontiac-GMC and Saturn, GM officials said.

Ed Peper, 46, was appointed North America Vice President, Chevrolet Channel, while Susan Docherty, 45, was appointed North America Vice President, Buick Pontiac-GMC Channel, while Jill Lajdziak, 51, will continue to lead Saturn as General Manager, and assume sales responsibility for that channel.

“These changes have been designed to improve all of our brands, and achieve strongly profitable channels at both a wholesale and retail level,” said Troy Clarke, GM North America president. “We are further streamlining the organization to reduce complexity, align resources to improve the consumer experience and improve bottom line business results. We expect that the channels will work closely with GM’s global product development teams to ensure the products meet consumer needs. This is the next step in our continuing strategy to increase the effectiveness of GM North America’s operating model,” he said.

“Customers’ opinions of our products and brands have improved. We raised quality to world-class levels and announced our 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, the most comprehensive transferable warranty in the business,” LaNeve said.

Is it bad that I clicked the topic and expected to find football news? :confused0071:

On topic, though, this should be interesting. I clicked the link that JBartley posted to see if he had worked with Infiniti, and he did. Premium should be a decent fit for him then.

well i see multipule things...

this guy seems to have, what i see the massive problem with GM. Dealer confidence and such.

what i dont like about this guy, is he seems to be rather indicisive in the moment, changing jobs 4 times in the last 3 years... does not look good in my opinion. seems to be after the bigger better deal, although mercedes seems to be a bad idea, I dont think i'd want that pressure, and the germans are worse about respect, and duty then the japanese in my opinion. so it makes sense that he would have a bad experiance, and run back to his familiar enviornment. perhaps hes being pushed to hard, but how hard will he be pushed with detroit? how much pressure will mark lanave or wagooner put on his shoulders, and will he run away?

hopefully this is good for GM, and good for america.

:scratchchin: I say lets give him the first 100 Days test. If he can not get his hands around the premium brands and set an agenda for growing sales, updating the old Cadillac dealerships to be competitive sites, then a mistake was made. If he can, then we found the right man to lead and grow these divisions. :scratchchin:

:scratchchin: I say lets give him the first 100 Days test. If he can not get his hands around the premium brands and set an agenda for growing sales, updating the old Cadillac dealerships to be competitive sites, then a mistake was made. If he can, then we found the right man to lead and grow these divisions. :scratchchin:

Hmmm....

I'm getting this feeling GM and other american automakers are starting to get some sense in their upper ranks, making performance (market wise) a high priority and goal meating... To me, mullan, lutz, press, mcnabb, etc. all seem to be strenght that american automakers havent had for 20-30 years... this is good... but we will see how GM does with this match maker. And probably the more each of these 'out of the ranks' executives that over perform the one they replaced, might make GM more likely to hire from the outside, unless someone is really a shinning star within. makes promotions more difficult and breads excessive effort. all in all, everything is good in my opinion