If this keeps up

zhawk

Went to the doctor today, again. Man, this is getting annoying.

Some background.

Last year, Tammy literally drug me into the doctor's office because I was in real bad shape. Turns out it was a good thing, I had pneumonia, was getting over the flu, and was developing a bad case of sinusitis. Anyway, as I was getting over that, the doctor noticed I was rubbing my hands. Oops.

I wound up finally telling a medical professional that I was having shooting pains from my neck down both arms and through my hands and fingers. No way to predict when they would happen. It hurts like hell.

Tests, of course followed. No carpel tunnel (thank God), minor arthritus (not a real explanation), oops, bulging discs in my neck were (are) pinching the nerve bundles coming from my spinal cord. Well, that explains a lot. So that doctor put me on phyiscal therapy, muscle relaxers, and pain meds (vicadin).

Its been a year now, my old doctor moved back to Minnesota and I have a new one. Been through PT, massage, stretches, etc. Have different meds (which mostly help) but its all still there. Then I showed up at the doctor's office with a migraine (which she suspected I was having, from my description). Got a shot and some pretty useful migraine meds, which cost me $25 for 9 pills (ouch).

Forward to today. Went back in and guess what, another migraine. The shot works well, I just hate needles and dropping my pants to her (pretty cute) nurse is hard to get used to. More pills (I am going to start rattling when I walk), and now that she knows for sure that my sleep is completely messed up, she wants me to try some melatonin.

For the record, I hate pills and any other form of drugs. I really wish I could get completely away from them. Unfortunately, the heat and ice packs, stretches, etc just aren't cutting it.

Sorry if this seems like whining, I just wanted to get it off my chest. Tammy is of course concerned and I really want to be able to be a good, active dad and husband. Too bad just typing this is enough to set off my hands. I'd love to find a way for this to all just go away. I sometimes worry if I can continue with what I do for a living.

Don't feel too bad. At the pharmacy, there are people who are on 15 different medications, and some that pay over $500 for their prescriptions. For some, if they didn't have insurance, they would never be able to afford their meds. One drug costs us about $3k. Many, many others are scattered in the hundreds.

No, zhawk, doesn't sound like whining to me.... Course, been there, done that, myself, though because of heart issues, not the pains you are having.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Life has been patiently waiting for me" ... Rascal Flatts ... 'I'm Moving On'

No, zhawk, doesn't sound like whining to me.... Course, been there, done that, myself, though because of heart issues, not the pains you are having.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Life has been patiently waiting for me" ... Rascal Flatts ... 'I'm Moving On'

Agreed....sometimes you just have to....even more so when you are in pain...

I'm kinda in the same boat as you....I have a bad back, and sometimes it hurts like heck....

I'm afraid I might drop my little one (when he gets here) because it can come at any time....

it sucks...don't suffer alone.... :(

I hate Physical Therapy I have to go twice a week and it really is getting annoying.

I have about 8 pills i have to take a day cause of previous injuries and what happened in november

Chiropractors are a godsend! I don't know the pain I'd be in sometimes if not for Dr. Smith. My back is in a constant state of messed up.

I have inflamed joints too, my Physician thinks it may develop into arthritis, my Knees, Ankles, and Hips, as well as sometimes my wrists and even fingers get a little inflamed. And I'm Only 17 :AH-HA_wink:

I'm very much a skeptic on more "homeopathic" remedies for medical issues, but since the pain is due to a bulging disc, and the chiropractor I found says he has successfully treated those while acknowledging herniated discs generally require surgery, I figure this guy isn't a quack. The ones that I disregard are those who claim manipulating the spine can cure everything. Really? Appendicitis can be cured by switching vertebre around? ORLY?

I'm very much a skeptic on more "homeopathic" remedies for medical issues, but since the pain is due to a bulging disc, and the chiropractor I found says he has successfully treated those while acknowledging herniated discs generally require surgery, I figure this guy isn't a quack. The ones that I disregard are those who claim manipulating the spine can cure everything. Really? Appendicitis can be cured by switching vertebre around? ORLY?

Yeah, those are the ones that scare me....

Chiropractor still remains an option. But, I'll tell you what, I took one of those melatonin Friday night and had what had to be one of the forst good nights sleeps in a LONG time. Saturday was close to the same. Unfortunately, last night I was back at work and tired as all hell all night long.

I already had to take Wed and Thurs nights off due to my son getting braces (family having appointments during the day when you work nights really sucks). I also have Tues night off as since I work a 5/4/9 schedule. So, I just may take tonight off as well and use all of this time to learn how much the melatonin afftects me and make adjustments. Then next week I can get back on a good work/sleep schedule.

The doc seemed really worried that I only sleep 2-3 hours at a time and have been doing this for almost 8 years. Its hard to sleep during the day.

While I was in the massage therapy, the guy 'abusing' me talked about the chiropracter that he works with. After about 2 months of sessions he did tell me not to expect too much from a chiropracter, simply because of how messed up everything seems to be. I think what everyone is worried about is how the nerve bundles are affected. With them being so pinched right now, any slip up could cause more damage.

The nerve meds seems to be cutting the trick for the most part. Both the doc and I figure if we can get the neck stretched out and stay that way, the tension headaches should ease and mostly take the migraines away.

I am really glad I went with this doctor. She knows her stuff and is really trying to help long term. The doctor I had after my car accident just gave up on me and told me I would be in pain for the rest of my life.

Sorry buddy. Luckily, Melatonin is a pretty safe drug. It's one of the few hormones you can actually ingest naturally and achieve the desired effect. I hope things improve!