More Cutlass Woes

Of course... The Beast wouldn't be the Beast if it weren't a pain in the ass.

This past week, it suddenly became much, much, much louder. Somewhere near the catalytic converter, it's either rusted through or rusted off completely. I haven't had a chance to put it up on ramps to see for sure. Peaking under, I can't really see too much. Everything is still there, it seems, however. On a noise level, it's not as loud as it would be if you just cut off the exhaust, a la demolition derby car, but its loud enough that everthing that can rattle inside, does.

As well, something that's been going on a bit longer, there's this rattling coming from the rolling gear, suspension on the left side. That's all I know of it. I've looked it over and I can't find anything loose or that would be making the noise. It's faint, however. It's fairly unnoticeable unless you're cruising along a bumpy road at slow speeds with the windows open. This was, however, before the exhaust decided to rust out.

Finally, I'm going to need to replace the other two tires. The right front isn't holding air anymore. Isn't going completely flat, however. I've just gotten into the habit of inflating it on a twice-weekly basis. Not that big of a deal, but I hoping they would hold up until after I got rid of it.

So, that's the latest. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to justify selling it unless someone wants to overpay for it.

The engine needs to breathe. We told you months ago it prolly has a clogged catalytic converter. The engine found a weak spot in the exhaust ahead of the converter and blew it out. It will prolly run better now.

unbolt exhaust completly

Order exhaust kit with headers through jegs

Let that motor sound like it should! :P

okay, i know you dont wanna sink that kinda money into it, but what ocn said is prob right... either cut out the cat and have a shop weld in a piece of pipe, or weld in a new cat... if you get rid of the cat, you wont have much of a problem getting a shady inspection..

The engine needs to breathe. We told you months ago it prolly has a clogged catalytic converter. The engine found a weak spot in the exhaust ahead of the converter and blew it out. It will prolly run better now.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way.

57.jpg

Check the sway bar links in the front for your clinking noise - they do have a tendency to rust and become loose. $7.00 for the pair at any Autozone.

I once went in to a front end shop with a Roadmaster wagon with a noise in the front like the one you describe...they wanted $600 to rebuild the whole front end, as it was 'shot'. I took the car home and took a look for myself...and found the sway bar links almost rusted through allowing the washers under and above to run loose on th esway bar. Replaced them in 15 minutes and no more noise - and my 'shot' front end NEVER wore a tire wrong or wandered on the road. Go figure.

Check the sway bar links in the front for your clinking noise - they do have a tendency to rust and become loose. $7.00 for the pair at any Autozone.

I once went in to a front end shop with a Roadmaster wagon with a noise in the front like the one you describe...they wanted $600 to rebuild the whole front end, as it was 'shot'. I took the car home and took a look for myself...and found the sway bar links almost rusted through allowing the washers under and above to run loose on th esway bar. Replaced them in 15 minutes and no more noise - and my 'shot' front end NEVER wore a tire wrong or wandered on the road. Go figure.

True....

Thats a common part to go on these old cars, especially if they are subjected to winter weather most or all of their lives. It costs about $20.00 to put them on.

Also do you notice that the car wants to roll a lot more in the corners than normal? Thats another sign that one of the sway bar links is busted. It sounds a lot more horrible than it really is.

Checking in...

I wish. It's not running any better. It's louder and diesels even worse now. It rusted out, not blew out. The entire exhaust is starting to fall off. Would you like to see? I give it a few weeks before it actually does. That is, if it's not taken care of sooner. I'm thinking straight pipes like my dad fabricated for his 77 Scottsdale as a quick and cheap fix.

As for the rattling, it might actually be the exhaust, as well. As mentioned, it's starting to completely fall off. Upon dieseling, it shakes noisily now. I haven't noticed a difference in body roll besides what could be contributed to the right front tire being low at times.

Exhaust is a maintenence item. I have replaced it on all of the old cars I owned except the 1985 Caprice. Thought of the straight pipes thing on the Bonneville but no mechanic will do that.

Yeah, those are all common quirks to owning a cheap beater.

Balance your tires... (once you have four decent ones)

I participate in "$5/tire-on-steel-rim day" at the local

junkyard quite often so I payed $20 for all for of my

almost matching winter tires on the Roadmaster. That's

even cheaper than balancing a set of four around here.

You have to embrace owning a beater dude, exhaust

leaks requiring tac-welds are a commonplace thing for

a car you buy for a couple hundred bucks.

At the end of the day the little G-body 2dr gets you

from point A to B, right?

Edited by Sixty8panther

True that is Sixty8. I am glad though that they have went to stainless steel for exhaust on new cars. One less maintnence item to need attention. I think if I was one to do my own work when the Bonneville needed new exhaust last summer I would have tried it with a straight pipe. But I am kind of lazy in that respect. I dont do a huge amount of work on my cars. Need to get the A/C working on them really soon.

Yeah, those are all common quirks to owning a cheap beater.

Balance your tires... (once you have four decent ones)

I participate in "$5/tire-on-steel-rim day" at the local

junkyard quite often so I payed $20 for all for of my

almost matching winter tires on the Roadmaster. That's

even cheaper than balancing a set of four around here.

You have to embrace owning a beater dude, exhaust

leaks requiring tac-welds are a commonplace thing for

a car you buy for a couple hundred bucks.

At the end of the day the little G-body 2dr gets you

from point A to B, right?

True. I can no longer afford to drive it, however.

Anyways, It ended up rusting completely off and was dragging on the ground. I just removed it entirely aft of the catalytic converter which I may remove as well. It's pretty loud, I must say. With the races occurring every Friday night, it's nothing too out of the ordinary. Thus, it's good enough for the time being. I don't really have the time or money to replace it and it's certainly not a priority of mine. It's not hurting anything as long as I don't get a citation for it. I've already been let off with a warning once now.

Something tells me I won't have to worry about it much longer. I'll let you guys know more whenever it comes to fruition. Life has just been pretty hectic lately. I haven't had alot of time to stop by. I'm surprised I'm not going through withdrawal as much as I always visited the forums. You all are probably celebrating, anyways. :P

Thats usually how they go. The Bonneville did that last year. Ended up using bungee straps to hold it up and nurse it to the repair place.

Three words:

wire

coat

hangers

They're worth their weight in gold. Every true beater

should have a few in the trunk along with a set of

needle nose pliers, vice-grips and such.

Electrical tape. Useful for a temperary fix of radiator hoses. A basic socket set is also a good idea. Extra fluids for each one the car takes. Make sure the spare tire is good and properly inflated. Screwdrivers including torx head ones are a useful thing too. Extra wipers too. Did I miss anything?