Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

THE CURSE

curse got me again. about 6 months since the last time.

was driving. sudden massive hailstorm. big effing hail chunks. golf ball size and greater. so dense you could not see. it was like driving into gunfire or hundreds of folks banging on your car with hammers. frightening actually.

my wife was the one driving. she actually managed to get it parked under part of an overpass to avoid a lot of hits. still the front and roof were getting raped.

we drove again for a bit and then had to park again. one lady parked next to us and got out of her Japanese $h!hbox (CRV). her windshield was toast and she was moaning about all her dents. my windhsield has no cracks. Japanese quality. ha.

surveying the damage, considering the intensity of the storm the car held up well. my aluminum hood has a fair amount of small dimples but no real huge ones. the roof got quite a few but again none severe. at least on first inspection.

this sucks though. the car is a lease. if i owned the car i am not sure i would fix it right away.

there is a ford and chevy dealer right up the hill from where i parked. it would be fair to say their entire inventory got pummeled.

i'm mad but not. i did not have a very dreadful accident like blu had (hope you are doing ok blu). the car held up well because of its heavy construction.

sucks though. my deductible is high if i choose to fix it. dammit.

This was the 500, I take it. Sorry to hear it, sir. Oh, I would be having a fit if golfball-sized hail attacked my Sierra. You say your deductible is high? This would fall under your comprehensive coverage. In cases like this, we would call in a Paintless Dent Repair guy to take care of the damage, depending on the extent of it. Sometimes it is cheaper to replace hoods and decklids (not always though, with blending of paint), but never roof panels. If you have PDR work done, beware one thing, sometimes they have to drill holes in the body (door jambs, etc.) to gain access for their rods, etc. (Some dents they can use glue, attach a tool, and pull the dent out.) The resultant plugs might be cause of concern when turning in your lease.

I've never seen hail that big. I wish you'd taken pics of that CR-V. I could've forwarded them to my mother. She just picked up her brand new CR-V on Friday. :banghead: I'm probably the only son on the planet who works in the car business whose mother does whatever the hell she pleases. And she wonders why I haven't talked to her in 9 years.

I've never seen hail that big. I wish you'd taken pics of that CR-V. I could've forwarded them to my mother. She just picked up her brand new CR-V on Friday. :banghead: I'm probably the only son on the planet who works in the car business whose mother does whatever the hell she pleases. And she wonders why I haven't talked to her in 9 years.

And I've seen quite a few CR-V around here.....they are popping up everywhere....

This was the 500, I take it. Sorry to hear it, sir. Oh, I would be having a fit if golfball-sized hail attacked my Sierra. You say your deductible is high? This would fall under your comprehensive coverage. In cases like this, we would call in a Paintless Dent Repair guy to take care of the damage, depending on the extent of it. Sometimes it is cheaper to replace hoods and decklids (not always though, with blending of paint), but never roof panels. If you have PDR work done, beware one thing, sometimes they have to drill holes in the body (door jambs, etc.) to gain access for their rods, etc. (Some dents they can use glue, attach a tool, and pull the dent out.) The resultant plugs might be cause of concern when turning in your lease.

thanks a lot for the advice, blu. knowing what youre going through too, makes me feel lucky. It's hard to love cars sometimes.

my friend suggested waiting to fix it until the last possible moment, also. he even said try to turn in the car that way and use it as a tool for getting a new one. if the dealer wanted the new sale bad enough, they may be willing to 'lessen the pain' in terms of paying for the damage.

in fact, the dealer right up the hill that got killed in that storm one of them is ford. maybe i can trade them my hail damaged vehicle for a new flex in transit and they can just put in a claim for the 500 on their dime.

checking out the damage again a bit today, most of the bigger dents on the hood / drivers side. the roof dents are much smaller but in both cases there are more dents than i thought yesterday. ugh.

Edited by regfootball

yeah, those thin japanese windshields, yah know.

what made me feel TERRIBLE was one vehicle parked right in front of us taking a major beating was a BRAND NEW dodge journey sxt. no lie. it had the temporary dealer sticker in the window. I would even bet they picked it up and were driving it home that moment.

yeah, those thin japanese windshields, yah know.

what made me feel TERRIBLE was one vehicle parked right in front of us taking a major beating was a BRAND NEW dodge journey sxt. no lie. it had the temporary dealer sticker in the window. I would even bet they picked it up and were driving it home that moment.

That sucks really bad for the owners who just bought it.