GM needs to start thinking outside the Box when it comes to marketing

You mean like outsource the marketing department to Apple.

----------

Dude 1: Hello, I'm A Malibu..

Dude 2: And I'm a Camry.

Dude 1: Camry, what are you eating over there?

Dude 2: Mayo on white.... why?

Dude 1: I dunno, just looks a bit.... bland. Why don't you put some cheese or lettuce or tom...

Dude 2 interupting: Woah woah woah!.... Don't go getting all wild on me....mayo on white will be just fine....I've eaten it for years <smugly>

Dude 1: I just thought you might like something with a bit more flavor, maybe some variety.

Dude 2: Ah, that's tomorrow's lunch. Mayo on wheat!

Zoom out, show logo, closeup of Dude 2 taking a big bite of Mayo on white and saying "Mmmmm hmmmmm"

----------

Dude 1: I dunno, just looks a bit.... bland. Why don't you put some cheese or lettuce or tom...

Dude 2 interupting: Woah woah woah!.... Don't go getting all wild on me....mayo on white will be just fine....I've eaten it for years <smugly>

Dude 1: I just thought you might like something with a bit more flavor, maybe some variety.

Zoom out, show logo, closeup of Dude 2 taking a big bite of Mayo on white and saying "Mmmmm hmmmmm"

I kind of like that actually. :scratchchin:

Guest aatbloke

Before it hones in on marketing, I believe GM needs to rationalise and clearly define its structure in North America. I'm of the opinion that it should substantially reduce the number of its North American domestic brands to say three or four.

In Europe however, GM seems to have more logic to its structure: its domestic Vauxhall/Opel and Saab subsidiaries cover the mainstream and junior executive segments respectively, while its GM-DAT sourced Chevrolet branding offers a budget alternative, rather like VAG's Skoda subsidiary. It then offers Cadillac as its mainstream executive offering, although if this brand is to be successful in the European arena, GM needs to mark its rivals from BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Jaguar much more succinctly with a much wider range of models as well as engines - particularly diesels. Lastly, the Corvette brand tackles Porsche with an affordable high-end performance product, but to be credible it needs to properly cater to RHD markets also, just as Porsche does.

Edited by aatbloke

----------

If GM ran that commercial, with the exact same actors that Apple uses (it would have to be the same two guys to have the right kind of impact), I think it would be awesome. It would probably resonate well with the type of demographic that GM needs back in their showrooms (30 something professionals). You'd have to put the two cars in the background or something at the end though. A lot of consumers still don't know what the new Malibu looks like.

Before it hones in on marketing, I believe GM needs to rationalise and clearly define its structure in North America. I'm of the opinion that it should substantially reduce the number of its North American domestic brands to say three or four.
My highlight

Paying whatever closure costs that stem from franchise laws seems unfeasible given the company's financial situation. One alternative is to identify which brands will go away and just starve them of new product. How, in your opinion can/should that brand number reduction be achieved?

Edited by ZL-1