HarleyEarl

Topic Titles

25 posts in this topic

I find most forum Topic Titles are so long. It's like the whole story is in the title. Hard to read at a glance.

Could we go with an unwritten rule keeping it to 5 words or less in the main title and subtitle?

Think of what newspapers and magazines do with their titles.

Just an idea.

What do you think?

Here's an example:

Topic Title in long form:

It Appears that Senator Hillary Clinton has chosen for her running mate for Vice President, Her Husband, former President, Bill Clinton

A possible edited version:

Hillary Clinton

Picks Bill As Running Mate

Edited by HarleyEarl

Leaving vowels out also can be used to shorten topic titles.

I'm guilty of long topic titles.

That's because I want to get as many reads as possible. :D

It does get a bit annoying though.

Maybe shorter titles will save precious disk space and lead to fewer of those dumbass 'CPU quota exceeded' errors...

I personally find the bigger annoyance when people's thread titles don't describe what's in the thread at all.

I don't think there should be a "rule" per se, but I would agree some people go overboard with thread titles. That said, many are copy/pasted article headlines reposted/quoted here, and I don't know how comfortable I'd be with re-titling other authors' articles to shorten title length on here.

If you're speaking of stories from the press, I think it should match the original title - that way it helps eliminate double-posting. Also, I strongly believe that no one should re-title stories with their own opinion/slant to the headline. And I also strongly object to a few select recent examples that were misleading - look in the Buick section.

Well, I had a 14-page dissertation all typed up and ready to go on this subject, but decided to $h!can it at the last moment.

I think the titles should be in German! :smilewide:

Espanol.

I think you mean Español. :smilewide:

Haha...funky keyboard move to get the tilde, eh?

Haha...funky keyboard move to get the tilde, eh?

Not really, I have a program that allows me to type in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, etc. It transform my keyboard into those keyboards. I do switch to the German keyboard the most though, because of where I am.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I think we should go for Chinese to have the most universal appeal. That is unless our site is blocked over there.

Look, it's not a criminal offense to have a really long title that is hard to read.

It was just an idea to make the Topic Title page easier and faster to read.

And I don't advocate a hard and fast rule.

I'm more concerned that topics that belong elsewhere in this forum go elsewhere in this forum.

Well, I had a 14-page dissertation all typed up and ready to go on this subject, but decided to $h!can it at the last moment.

Wow! With that kind of planning and ROI, GM will be beating down your door to offer you a job in no time!

:D

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead