Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Motor Authority: Buick prepping new small sedans

wildcat

I kind of have mixed emotions about the info in the linked article. The midsize LaCrosse replacement and the compact Delta II sedan sound promising, but the rest of the article has me concerned. I have to say that I'm more than a little disappointed that there will be no Riviera and that the Lucerne will basically carry on unchanged until it rots on the vine. I wasn't expecting a RWD Lucerne replacement like most people, but I did hope that they would have a FWD redesign or replacement ready for the 2011 model year. I also hoped to see something about a sub-Enclave size crossover, but there was no mention of that either. I'm not quite sure what to think about GM at this moment. It's surprising that Buick seems like such an afterthought to them, expecially considering how important the brand seems to be to the corporation in China.

Anything happening with Buick is happening first in Asia. That means very little info will be released to the regular sources in the US until very late in the development cycle, by which time GM will probably have already announced if and when there will be an American version (6–12 months before intro).

New Asian models:

The LaCrosse

The Delta2 Buick sedan.

The Insignia-based Regal.

The Alpha sedan (may replace Delta or smaller Epsilon model).

The PA is not selling well, buyers preferring smaller sedans or the Buick Firstland minivan; and the Alpha sedan will prove far more popular.

For the US the situation is unclear because any of the future Buick sedans below the LaCrosse could be sold as Pontiacs instead.

COMMENTS:

A Delta Buick could be nice, so long as GM doesn't screw it up or badge engineer.

The Invicta was so gorgeous... Why is the production version so crappy?

I really hate to hear that the Riviera was cancelled (If I had a dollar for every gorgeous Buick concept that GM trashed, I'd be 10-12 dollars richer) I would've loved to see the Invicta debut and the Riviera follow a year later. Of course, those might've been the replacements for the G6 line ultimately. Or would the Riviera be on Alpha? Is it too big? Anyway...

I really hope they don't let the Enclave wither on the vine like so many other great GM products have done.

I guess GM is just pulling out of the full size car market in general? Or will Cadillac carry the torch there? The G8 sticking around is looking more positive everyday. Or can Eps II be stretched?

This actually really scares me... I don't want to be forced to drive a compact car (Actually... A compact car with a V8 would be fun :D) because the government and enviro-geeks think I should. Guess I can always buy classics (Until they outlaw those too)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Anything happening with Buick is happening first in Asia. That means very little info will be released to the regular sources in the US until very late in the development cycle, by which time GM will probably have already announced if and when there will be an American version (6–12 months before intro).

New Asian models:

The LaCrosse

The Delta2 Buick sedan.

The Insignia-based Regal.

The Alpha sedan (may replace Delta or smaller Epsilon model).

The PA is not selling well, buyers preferring smaller sedans or the Buick Firstland minivan; and the Alpha sedan will prove far more popular.

For the US the situation is unclear because any of the future Buick sedans below the LaCrosse could be sold as Pontiacs instead.

Which might be one reason Pontiac isn't getting much attention now. Either 1) stuff is in the pipeline that will debut for them that we don't know about. or 2) GM is contemplating selling the cars under Buick, thus solidifying the division and probably making higher transaction prices to boot.

Maybe this is why the "war" has been raging inside of GM. They can make the small cars Buicks, since they already are anyway. So Zeta was supposed to save Pontiac and was it's only real crutch. But now, with the greenies and people whining about gas, Zeta seems to be the Titanic. What little demand that is left for Zeta can easily be handled by Chevrolet and Cadillac. (Further consolidating)

That left Alpha, and I guess the anti-Pontiac won that war after Zeta started biting the dust. Chevy wants a coupe from Alpha, so why not consolidate further and sell the one car, that would make Pontiac viable, as a Buick for a better profit?

A sad day indeed... Maybe Pontiac will be starved now. Too bad GM apparently is too impatient to realize yet another one of their great divisions potential.

So was the Riveria concept the Alpha model? If so, that is a smart move. There is no room for an Alpha Buick if the Cadillac is going to have a 4cyl standard.

But there is room for a cheaper, more sport/less luxury Pontiac! :D

I've always thought that Chevrolet and Buick should be paralleled and likewise Cadillac and Pontiac should be the same way. Chev/Buick for the mainstream traditional buyer, Pont/Caddy for the enthusiast.

Cadillac goes after BMW, Buick goes after Lexus. See the difference.

Pontiac goes after Nissan & Dodge, Chevrolet goes after Ford & Toyota.

Saturn and Saab can target Honda/Acura, Volvo and VW.