Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZL-1

GM may replace some metal parts with new Quantech polymer

10 posts in this topic

Maybe this would fit better in "Industry News" since it potentially is a industry-wide innovation, but since the headline refers to GM I decided to post it here. Link

interesting. *dreams about a new Saturn model with polymer panels*

*then wakes up*

Just FYI, the R-series Civic engine uses a plastic valve cover and intake manifold.

GM and Ford have used plastic engine components before with not so great results.... I'm hoping this new material does better.

Just FYI, the R-series Civic engine uses a plastic valve cover and intake manifold.

Yup... so did my 1989 Pontiac Bonneville (valve covers). The LSX motors have been polymer intakes since day one. I think the '92 3.8L V-6's intakes were poly as well when they switched to tuned port from SFI.

I think they are talking about using polymer's in area that require more heat and stress levels.

Edited by BuddyP

I wonder if you could leave the body panels unpainted so you could "see through" the car.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more plastics in non-structural body parts, like hoods, decklids, and front fenders. Besides the Saturns, didn't some years of the LeSabres and other larger GMs use plastic front fenders?

I'm surprised we haven't seen more plastics in non-structural body parts, like hoods, decklids, and front fenders. Besides the Saturns, didn't some years of the LeSabres and other larger GMs use plastic front fenders?

Yup, a lot of larger 90's GM cars used composite panels. The 4th gen camaro's had all composite except rear qtrs and roof. Now, the cost of steel is getting to the point to where polymer's and plastics are getting more price competitive.

The bit that caught my attention was:

this new material combines dimensional stability comparable to steel and strength on par with titanium

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0