Oh Snap! Gen. Petreaus says "I do think you should talk to our enemies"

From the first debate:

Obama: Senator McCain mentioned Henry Kissinger, who's one of his advisers, who, along with five recent secretaries of state, just said that we should meet with Iran – guess what – without precondition. This is one of your own advisers.

McCain rejected Obama's claim:

McCain: By the way, my friend, Dr. Kissinger, who's been my friend for 35 years, would be interested to hear this conversation and Senator Obama's depiction of his -- of his positions on the issue. I've known him for 35 years.~~

-----------

~~Kissinger Sept. 20: Well, I am in favor of negotiating with Iran. And one utility of negotiation is to put before Iran our vision of a Middle East, of a stable Middle East, and our notion on nuclear proliferation at a high enough level so that they have to study it. And, therefore, I actually have preferred doing it at the secretary of state level so that we -- we know we're dealing with authentic...

CNN's Frank Sesno: Put at a very high level right out of the box?

Kissinger: Initially, yes. But I do not believe that we can make conditions for the opening of negotiations.

source)

McCain has stated in the first two debates that "Obama will meet with Iran without preconditions", emphasizing the "without preconditions" part as a very negative thing.

Obama said what he means by that is that we still need "objectives" for the negotiations, but we shouldn't require them to meet certain conditions before we talk to them.

Here is Petraeus, who McCain says would be the first person he turns to for advice, saying that we need to talk to our enemies and adversaries (as long as they are reconcilable) with objectives for those talks. Essentially the same as what Obama said.

McCain has stated in the first two debates that "Obama will meet with Iran without preconditions", emphasizing the "without preconditions" part as a very negative thing.

Obama said what he means by that is that we still need "objectives" for the negotiations, but we shouldn't require them to meet certain conditions before we talk to them.

Here is Petraeus, who McCain says would be the first person he turns to for advice, saying that we need to talk to our enemies and adversaries (as long as they are reconcilable) with objectives for those talks. Essentially the same as what Obama said.

Right cause negotiating with tribal and Taliban factions, such as we did in Iraq, is exactly the same as negotiating with sovereign countries right?

Granted it is not much of a distinction, but it is still technically different.