Is the new Supra alive?

prinzSD

With Toyota annpuncing it will lose money in 2009, Honda canceling the NSX, I was wondering if Toyota is still moving forward with the Supra and what ever super car was destined for Lexus? Just wondering because the C6 Corvette will soldier on until about 2012, maybe 2014 and I was wondering what competition from Japan, Inc (excluding the Nissan GTR which is here) it will have to compete against? Maybe Siegen or ToyoGuy have some tidbits for us.

Don't forget the S2000 replacement also being canceled, along with all RWD Acura plans.

The automotive landscape is getting ugly for us car enthusiasts. We are being pushed into ugly small front wheel hybrids or something. I am disgusted that they are eliminating choices for me in the cause of global warming and shrinking oil supplies. If I want a V8 and gas is at $10 a gallon, it is still my choice if I want to spend that kind of money. At least allow some cars to continue to have at least an option for the V8, that way the majority of buyers can opt for a V6 to save money and the enviroment and I can have my V8.

EDIT: besides I take the train to work so my carbon footprint is smaller then most of the enviro weenies that complain about my car.

Edited by prinzSD

The automotive landscape is getting ugly for us car enthusiasts. We are being pushed into ugly small front wheel hybrids or something. I am disgusted that they are eliminating choices for me in the cause of global warming and shrinking oil supplies. If I want a V8 and gas is at $10 a gallon, it is still my choice if I want to spend that kind of money. At least allow some cars to continue to have at least an option for the V8, that way the majority of buyers can opt for a V6 to save money and the enviroment and I can have my V8.

EDIT: besides I take the train to work so my carbon footprint is smaller then most of the enviro weenies that complain about my car.

I just realized you're complaining about V8 cars in response to my post about 4- and 6-cylinder RWD cars. :lol:

Don't forget the S2000 replacement also being canceled, along with all RWD Acura plans.

A RWD platform and S2000 replacement were never announced or alluded to in any way by Honda. They started out as rumors propagated by automotive magazines and "insiders", and are nothing more. In fact, the only piece of real evidence that has ever surfaced to support the RWD platform are spyshots of a TSX mule that appeared to have been chopped up to have RWD proportions. No shots of the mechanicals or anything to indicate RWD, just nicer proportions than current Acura sedans (in most people's opinions).

Now there is speculation running around about a letter from the VP of Acura that refutes the article and confirms 'tier 1' plans are still on track. That is also speculation/rumor though.

For V8 RWD, we've still got: 300, Charger, Challenger, Camaro, Mustang, G8 (not for long though), 370Z, Genesis, (Tiburon replacement?), some luxury cars.

Tiburon replacement = Genesis Coupe. It shares the Genesis name only, and really has nothing in common with the Gensis sedan. Same marketing BS Toyota pulls with the Camry and "Camry Solara".

• 4 weeks later...
With Toyota annpuncing it will lose money in 2009, Honda canceling the NSX, I was wondering if Toyota is still moving forward with the Supra and what ever super car was destined for Lexus? Just wondering because the C6 Corvette will soldier on until about 2012, maybe 2014 and I was wondering what competition from Japan, Inc (excluding the Nissan GTR which is here) it will have to compete against? Maybe Siegen or ToyoGuy have some tidbits for us.

You mean the LF-A?

that was the last I ever heard about it, my guess if it ever goes into production it won't this year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/...;mktid=cj260233

http://www.leftlanenews.com/tough-times-ha...html#more-13107

or are you referring to the joint Subaru/Toyota sports car?

Who-cares.com.org

Toyota will never get my money, not on a new car EVER.

But never say ever to that '71 Celica fastback-hardtop. :P

You mean the LF-A?

that was the last I ever heard about it, my guess if it ever goes into production it won't this year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/...;mktid=cj260233

http://www.leftlanenews.com/tough-times-ha...html#more-13107

or are you referring to the joint Subaru/Toyota sports car?

Yes the LF-A. I heard it was on life support and Lexus will not make it.

Yes the LF-A. I heard it was on life support and Lexus will not make it.

I'm sure the car is mostly compete, just there was only a very limited market for it in a good economy and absolutely zero market for it in a bad one. Plus, Toyota marketing was expecting a good F1 performance which never happened.

True, but how much longer will we have these cars if the wacko enviro weenies get their way.

The eco weenies had nothing to do with the previous Camaro getting scrapped. And there is absolutely no room for a Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.

Edited by toyoguy