Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Bimmer

Where did the name Northstar come from?

15 posts in this topic

So today, my friend an I were changing the oil in 4 cars and in conversation a couple of questions came up that we didn't know the answer to.

1) Where did GM came up with Northstar?

2) Have there ever been any other GM engines that had a name that was more recognizable than say the displacement?

The 'LS' names have widespread recognition, but those are a code rather than a marketing name.

Other than that, you would have to go back in history to find well-known names... and some there are nicknames rather than official, such as 'Nailhead'. The general 'Rocket V-8' comes readily to mind. Not sure how much 'Blue Flame Six' was pushed. Nothing else springing to mind at 6AM but there have to be others...

Vortec

LT-1

I don't know if it was ever officially marketed as such, but there was also the Shortstar.

I think the "star" thing was a theme they were going for back in the early 90s. They has Northstar, OnStar, and the mostly forgotten, GuideStar.

Though not an engine, the name HydroMatic is till in use.

for Chrysler how can we foget hemi

It's was not just the engine, but it was the whole Northstar System which included the powertrain/chassis/braking/steering system that was developed by Cadillac.

It's was not just the engine, but it was the whole Northstar System which included the powertrain/chassis/braking/steering system that was developed by Cadillac.

But where did it come from? Did somebody just randomly make it up?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0