2009 Mazda6

So since spring is upon us and today was a nice and sunny (albeit windy) day, I decided to do a little test-driving.

I went to the Mazda dealership since I wanted to test drive the new Mazda6 since it's on the list as a replacement for the Maxima (the wife's car).

So I got there, told the salesman which trim I wanted to drive, and we went from there.

The car was the Mazda6 i Touring, which came with the 2.5L 4-cyl mill, 5-speed automatic transmission, cloth seats, and 17-inch wheels (among other things I can't remember). I chose the 4-cyl because that was the engine my wife indicated she'd rather have, so I had to see if it was going to be fun enough for me to drive on trips.

My last experience test-driving a 4-cylinder car had been a used '03 Volkswagen Passat, but that doesn't count since it's turbocharged. So my last experience driving a naturally-aspirated 4-banger had been either the '07 Altima 2.5S or the Pontiac G6. I can honestly say that the response and refinement of the Mazda was better than any of them: more powerful than the older Passat, more refined than the G6, and more responsive than the Altima. I think a lot of it had to do with, besides that it's a much newer engine, the mating of the mill to the transmission. They work well together. Acceleration was stronger than I expected as well (reminiscent of the Altima), especially on the Interstate.

Steering is the heaviest I've ever felt on a Japanese midsize sedan, but that's a good thing. I don't like overly light steering on anything, and the Mazda6, though lighter than my Bonneville, feels rather nice on turns and is absolutely solid on-center.

Of the currently available midsize sedans I've driven, the Mazda6 is at the top of my list. I still have to test the Fusion; only then will I know what my wife's next car will be. She had said, between the 6, the Maxima, and the TL, "whichever is the cheapest." Since a fully-optioned Mazda6 i Grand Touring is around $30k sticker, I think we've got the top candidate here... until the Fusion comes out, that is...

Nice quick writeup. The Mazda6 is definitely up there in the segment, especially in the fun to drive category. You'll probably be disappointed with the steering of the Fusion, except the V6 Sport model, which uses hydraulic steering and not electric like the others do.

Cant go wrong with the 6, but give the Fusion a shot. My 4cyl was really perky, even if the transmission (manual) was an absolute bitch.

If you're looking at $30k and under, definitely check out the Fusion Sport, the Autoblog tester was $29k and change, and it looks yummy.

Edited by Satty

Cant go wrong with the 6, but give the Fusion a shot. My 4cyl was really perky, even if the transmission (manual) was an absolute bitch.

If you're looking at $30k and under, definitely check out the Fusion Sport, the Autoblog tester was $29k and change, and it looks yummy.

I'll probably try both. :)

some levels of the fusion hybrid will be below 30k. maybe it makes sense to even look at that.

the fusion gets new trannies and engines. so the refinement level should go up, even on the manual. i know i drove an 09 escape manual, which shares the engine, however i think maybe the escapes tranny is different than what was going into the fusion. i know the hydraulic clutch on the escape i liked but the shifter was notchy. the 6 speed auto on the 09 escape i tested with very good. if thats the same unit going into the fusion, its a good team.

the mazda6 has style points on the others. only problem with the 6, for certain options, you really have to go up the trim level ladder, and the price can rise really quick.

the mazda6 has style points on the others. only problem with the 6, for certain options, you really have to go up the trim level ladder, and the price can rise really quick.

True indeed. Option-for-option, the Fusion beats the 6 in every way... but there's something about the 6 that's just... sexy.

if she wants a TL, maybe you should check out a TSX. TL is 6 cyl only i think?

I considered that; she prefers the TL (mostly the previous one). Currently the TSX is 4-cyl only, but they're bringing out a V6 for it soon (within a year).

But that aside, I went and sat in a TSX some time ago. The back seat is WAY too small, so I then ruled it out. She would have done the same.

i wouldn't buy something as low grade as a mazda6 when for the same money cars like the CTS and MKS may be had for almost as much with the equipment levels comparable. to me, accords, camrys and mazda6's when you load them up, get too pricey. mazda 6 is good for the class its in, but its not as solid a car as a CTS or MKS.

I'm trying to talk my wife into possibly considering a CTS, but she's not too sold... yet. I'm still trying to convince her that Cadillac != Fleetwood-like boat in this case.

And she would NOT drive an MKS. (That would be more my speed. :D)

wouldn't buy something as low grade as a mazda6 when for the same money cars like the CTS and MKS may be had for almost as much with the equipment levels comparable.

CTS bases higher than both the fully-loaded Fusion and the 6, to say nothing of when comparably equipped. There's a chance that when we get ready to buy, the dealers won't be just giving cars away either like they are now.

I'm trying to talk my wife into possibly considering a CTS, but she's not too sold... yet. I'm still trying to convince her that Cadillac != Fleetwood-like boat in this case.

And she would NOT drive an MKS. (That would be more my speed. :D)

CTS bases higher than both the fully-loaded Fusion and the 6, to say nothing of when comparably equipped. There's a chance that when we get ready to buy, the dealers won't be just giving cars away either like they are now.

scan the lots and ads right now, the CTS and MKS are extremely discounted. a mazda6 will almost never see much of a discount. its a great chance to get a much better car (CTS or MKS) at a UJS sedan price.

scan the lots and ads right now, the CTS and MKS are extremely discounted. a mazda6 will almost never see much of a discount. its a great chance to get a much better car (CTS or MKS) at a UJS sedan price.

We're not buying right now, so the deals don't matter. :P