Tamil Protests

Background: Tamils are a distinct ethnic group within Sri Lanka (island nation south of India). There's been a civil war raging since 1983 between the Sri Lankan government and the Tamil Tiger rebel movement. The Sri Lankan government is just now clearing out the last of the Tamil areas, and is nearing military victory.

There is a huge Tamil population in Toronto, as many of them have left due to the conflict. Over the past couple of months there have been massive protests downtown with the goal of getting the Canadian government to help the Tamils. Depending on who you ask, they are freedom fighters opposing genocide of their people, or a terrorist organization. I really don't know what to think or how to react to this throng of angry people in my city.

Any perspective, anyone?

Well Frankly Its not Canada's problem. And Canada has been very neutral in conflicts except when the US drags you guys through the mud with us.

Ya, it's not Canada's (or the US's problem). Sri Lanka has to work it out for themselves.

I don't know that much about the problem, was talking about this briefly with my Bhuddist Sri Lankan friend the other day..he's been in the US for about 20 years, and his view is that the Tamils are terrorists.

Edited by moltar

Fight your own wars instead of making other countries do it for you. This is the problem with the US: We keep going to fight other people's wars and wasting money which should be used to help our own damn country.

Agreed....the era of the US being World Police should end...we've wasted way too much time, money and lives in nonsense like Afganistan and Iraq...let those Islamof*cks fight amongst themselves...f*ck that sh*t.

I really don't know what to think or how to react to this throng of angry people in my city.

Any perspective, anyone?

Every so often, people in a city get really angry and vocal about it. See Watts Riots, recent tensions in Cleveland, OH, and other instances. Usually the best thing to do is what you do when confronted with an angry person IRL: let him/her calm down and do not engage until he/she has done so.

I mean, they're not rioting, right? As long as they are not negatively impacting you an any way, just let them be. And feeling uncomfortable doesn't really count as a negative impact.

Fight your own wars instead of making other countries do it for you. This is the problem with the US: We keep going to fight other people's wars and wasting money which should be used to help our own damn country.

:metal: I totally agree with you DF.