L.A. Auto Show Moves to November....

In 2006, there will be TWO L.A. Int'l Auto Shows.....the one in January, '06 that typically competes with Detroit.....and the L.A. show in November, '06 (which will preview '07) which is representative of the decision by L.A. show executives not to interfere with Detroit in January. The new November timing will be permanent for the L.A. show. My question is....knowing that Detroit, L.A., Chicago, and N.Y are the four largest auto shows in the country, how will L.A.'s move to November affect the rollout of new concepts and production cars for the coming year? Will most of the major manufacturers still wait until January and the NAIAS to showcase everything, or will we start seeing a shift in media attention to the newly-timed November L.A. Int'l Auto Show for rollouts and premieres? My reasoning for this is the fact that NOW, there will be a MAJOR N.A. auto show (the only major show) that will be timed to coincide with the "usual" fall introduction period. (Although new car introductions now seem to happen all year long.) Looking at L.A. being the 2nd largest media market in the country (behind N.Y.).....and the largest automotive sales market in the country (even ahead of N.Y.).....and with the large number of auto manufacturers that have headquarters or design studios here....AND with the much nicer weather for all the press, media, and manufactuers to come to.... Will they start pulling intros from Detroit and moving them ahead to L.A. in November instead of Detroit in January? L.A. has the convention center and certainly the hotel room space.....plus all the culture, restaurants, theatre, and other southern California attractions for visiting show attendees to partake in while they are here. L.A.s BIGGEST hurdle, however, will be figuring out how to "roll out the red carpet" appropriately for the manufacturers and media. Something, ironically (this is Hollywood after all) they have not been known to do so well at the L.A. Int'l Auto Show. What are your thoughts...?

I don't think it will be an issue. LA will get the same vehicles that they would otherwise get. I do think it will help Detroit because it will free up vehicles that were previously released at LA and because of the overlap and lack of availibility were not at Detroit. How many times have the two of us been at Detroit and were looking for vehicles that were released the previous week at LA and the vehicles were not at the Detroit show? That was the case with the HHR this year. Or do you remember years ago the Old Profile concept was at LA when we were there but not at Detroit the following week. Edited by evok

I'm thinking along the same lines, Northstar. LA will most likely get a few more debuts but the automakers will still save most of the good stuff for Detroit. I live out in LA so I'm excited the show will be sooner in the year. Having it right around New Years, which is when it's usually held, never seemed right to me.

I think LA might get a few more debuts, but probably not that many. If it was in Nov. this year it'd be a great oppurtunity to debut the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade for GM. Who knows, they might still get the Escalade debut.

[post="3068"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My point exactly.....would have been perfect for GM to introduce the new SUVs. I always thought it sucked having the Detroit (and L.A.) show all the way in January. By that time, most of your new models were already announced earlier the year prior.

The buff mags still hold to around the September timeframe for the roll-out of their much-anticipated "New Car" issues.

It will all depend on how badly the L.A. show organizers want the "prestige" of being "the" North American auto show.

Remember, Detroit was a tiny show (relatively speaking) until the show organizers decided to pursue the international attention by dramatically revamping the show and doing alot to roll out the red carpet for media and manufactuters.

From a manufacturer's standpoint, media attention is a HUGE consideration when looking at where to roll out new products. L.A. already is the 2nd largest media market in the country. It's a desirable location to visit. It was major international recognition.

L.A. has everything it needs to do this.....it will all depend on how badly L.A. and the show organizers will want to pursue this.

Alas, maybe it's not even a big deal to L.A. at all.....the current show always gets huge attendance anyway.....and will probably get more attendance due to the revised timing alone.

The L.A. show is pretty decent to begin with, but I'd LOVE to see an L.A. show with much greater U.S. and International significance!

My point exactly.....would have been perfect for GM to introduce the new SUVs.  I always thought it sucked having the Detroit (and L.A.) show all the way in January.  By that time, most of your new models were already announced earlier the year prior.

The buff mags still hold to around the September timeframe for the roll-out of their much-anticipated "New Car" issues.

It will all depend on how badly the L.A. show organizers want the "prestige" of being "the" North American auto show. 

Remember, Detroit was a tiny show (relatively speaking) until the show organizers decided to pursue the international attention by dramatically revamping the show and doing alot to roll out the red carpet for media and manufactuters.

From a manufacturer's standpoint, media attention is a HUGE consideration when looking at where to roll out new products.  L.A. already is the 2nd largest media market in the country.  It's a desirable location to visit.  It was major international recognition.

L.A. has everything it needs to do this.....it will all depend on how badly L.A. and the show organizers will want to pursue this.

Alas, maybe it's not even a big deal to L.A. at all.....the current show always gets huge attendance anyway.....and will probably get more attendance due to the revised timing alone.

The L.A. show is pretty decent to begin with, but I'd LOVE to see an L.A. show with much greater U.S. and International significance!

[post="3683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The NAIAS will always be "THE SHOW". Moving "THE SHOW" to LA would be like moving the Academy Awards to the Cobo in Detroit.

The Automakers will continue to release vehicles at the shows they think are important for the product.

I just think the LA retime cadences the shows better.

The LA retiming was not the first choice for them. They resisted doing it for years. They finally moved it when it became crystal clear that they were always going to be second to NAIAS (actually, because of their refusal to move the show away from competing with Detroit, they were a distant third behind Chicago: always getting last the last years NAIAS's concepts and a couple of debuts). I think they are hoping this will change, but Detroit is always going to be the 800 lb gorilla, even if everyone bitches that Cobo Hall is too old and Detroit is too cold.

L.A. has the convention center and certainly the hotel room space

Actually, there's a new project breaking ground in September downtown that will address one of the biggest problems the Convention Center seems to think it faces- the lack of a convenient hotel- the closest one is the Hotel Figueroa, which while cool and funky, isn't the place that's going to immediatly come to mind for the business traveller, and the Bonaventure is over a mile away. Edited by tmp

The NAIAS will always be "THE SHOW".  Moving "THE SHOW" to LA would be like moving the Academy Awards to the Cobo in Detroit.

The Automakers will continue to release vehicles at the shows they think are important for the product.

I just think the LA retime cadences the shows better.

[post="3686"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

.....but Detroit doesn't have a long history of being "The Show."

It was a small regional "dealer sale" show until when, 1990? 1995? I don't know the exact year...just that I don't think Detroit has any sort of lock on the title....

But like I said....I could be wrong....but it IS interesting food-for-thought. Regardless, I go to each show and will continue to go to each show....so it's not like I'm worried about missing anything....

I don't know what some of y'all are talking about....the Auto Show here is that classic "first big event of the year"....my first Saturday in January tradition. And I think starting a week before Detroit afforded it a lot of good attention (though the goodies seemed to always be saved for Detroit). I'm not too sure about moving it to November (which I remember as being the month of that crappy Long Beach show back in the days)...but it may work out for the best. Besides, a November move makes us look like the American Music Awards to Detroit's Grammys.

I think one of the smartest thing GM can do is to put emphasis on the LA show. They need the market right now, and by ignoring the show means your ignoring the market. LA sets the trends right now. toyota sells strong in California so the country follows. When GM was strong in California, they where strong throughout the country.

If I were in charge of concepts and debuts for GM I would debut Saturn, SAAB, and Hummer ones in LA but keep Chevy and Pontiac in Detroit and Caddy at NY and Buick at Chicago. That way each big brand debuts in its own show, Chevy and Pontiac being the exception. Also LA is more import territory and Detroit and the midwest are more Big 3 friendly.