Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

REPORT: Hummer's fate to be decided by Tuesday

General Motors has been trying to unload its Hummer division for nearly a year now. Despite assertions late last year indicating that it hoped to have the troubled brand off its books for good before 2009 rolled around, we are now nearing the end of the first quarter of '09 and Hummer is still wholly owned by GM.

According to a new report by the Associated Press, tomorrow is the day that we'll finally find out what the future holds for Hummer and its 160 or so dealers across the United States. We've heard all along that there are multiple parties interested in the brand, and that's apparently still the case.

A GM spokesperson has said that companies from "all different parts of the world" are in the mix to purchase Hummer and the automaker is "cautiously optimistic" that a sale will be made. If a decision to sell Hummer isn't made by tomorrow, it sounds like the brand will likely be abandoned to die a quiet death.

Autoblog

Good riddance. IMHO, HUMMER represented American vehicle design at it's absolute worst--oversized, brutally ugly, cheap and nasty inside, big on the outside yet small inside, thirsty and inefficient. It's a bad image for GM that needs to go. No innovation, no breakthrough products--just big, dumb, ugly turds.

Edited by moltar

I like the idea of making the Hx a Chervy or GMC variant, and even if the Hx had to go with the buyer of the Hummer brand, GM could still eventually offer it's own brand-influenced design on that platform. Also, I think the H3T has some value too. I think GM should look at it for either Chevy and/or GMC, rebodied and slightly toned-down a bit of course, as it's new mid-size/compact truck offering.

• 1 month later...

Any one hear of any updates? Rasertech.com still says they will have fleets of the H3 hybrid in place this summer for use as they polish their software and get it ready to go into public production in 2010 for being able to sell their 100MPG H3 to the public. So I wonder if they are buying it or just who?????

Would be nice to get this updated to know what really is going to happen to hummer. I did see a ton of 2009 H2, H3 and H3T on the lot at the dealership this weekend. Some awesome pricing if only one could get finanace.