Sign in to follow this  
johnnyangelb

Mercedes pile-up at safety demonstration

11 posts in this topic

original link: http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article.as...ration&item=669

AUTHOR: Haje Jan Kamps
PUBLISHED: 16/11/2005

The new Mercedes S class has a sophisticated radar-based braking system - when it works. A TV demonstration ended up in a 3-car pile-up when the S-class' safety radar failed.

A German television channel got a bigger scoop than they bargained for when Mercedes showed up with three of their flagship vehicles - only to crash them into each other when a safety demonstration failed.

Full article at:
http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article.as...ration&item=669

This would make me Very hesitant with this system... what about bridges... tunnels... anything that has a lot of metal around you. I'd have a hard time trusting it. I guess it is good as a emergency safety system... just don't rely on it. Edited by johnnyangelb

Our salesman at Mercedes Benz told me (after he went back to a GM dealer) that when he came to work Monday Morning at the Benz place he saw the line of S classes at the service department and he would just cringe. . . . .

balthazar    1,713
Packard experimented with radar braking circa 1953. Didn't work then, either (actually, worked fine to avoid hitting a stationary object in the test facility, but got 'confused' out in the real world with too many 'input signals'), but at least their's didn't crash into 2 other of their own vehicles. mercedes; bah.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this