Doing a marketing project...need some help

Croc

I am doing a marketing paper analysing the Mercury division of Ford, and I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could help me find some sources for this. the paper is due in a week, and the sooner I can find some info the better. The following are the assignment parameters...and I would appreciate any help/insight regarding these as well as information as to where I can find some good sources. Thanks!  Requirement: critique the marketing strategy for a brand or product of your choice, within the automotive product category.  The paper will have three sections. o Cover page – Provide your name, project name, and lab instructor name. At the bottom of the page, type the phrase “This paper is my (or “our” if there are two of you) own work” and sign it. o Section 1 - describe the marketing environment. This section will be 3 – 4 pages in length. Use primary and/or secondary sources to gather your information. The 3 C’s (company, competitors and context - includes macro-environmental factors) will be included here. Emphasize how one or two main competitors compete. o Section 2 - describe the marketing mix. This section will be 3 – 4 pages in length. Use primary and/or secondary sources to gather your information. Explain how this marketing mix helps the brand compete. o Section 3 - critique how the brand (or product) is being managed from a marketing perspective. Tell us what you like and what you don’t like. Offer recommendations if applicable. Share with us your reasoning for your judgments. This section will be about 5 pages. I pretty much copied everything and pasted it here...but yea if anyone has any advice/ideas on analyzing the Mercury brand I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

OK let's try and stay on topic here...so far I am having a hard time finding official sources for Mercury's target market as well as sources for Mercury's design language and how FMC intends for that design to appeal to the target market. I know a lot of this stuff seems basic and obvious, but that's why it's hard...I need sources and proof beyond "I read it on a message board..." Thanks for the help already, and keep it coming!

my recommendation

build mercury's promo campaign around this

stuff

no wonder mercury sales are up!

[post="45952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

jill wagner is the mercury girl and the ad campaign featuring her is generating interest from men and women.

'good for the brand' as they say. that's why i posted her 'other' work.

croc- please refer to the mercury/chick brand thread for more insight. Edited by regfootball

For the environment, use the PESTL system as a sort of checklist...Political, Economic, Sociocultural, Technology, and Legal. Remember the 4P's! Also, look into Merc's segmentation strategy... Performing a SWOTT Analysis is crucial in formatting your paper. Due this before hand on excel or whatever you're most comfortable with. It's a great way to get all of your thoughts organized. Some people don't use that last T (trends) but I like to. Remember to tie in all sections of your paper. Keep in mind, how does this affect Mercury's marketing strategy? As for finding additional sources, see if your University's library has Mintel in its database. Mintel is a research firm that performs analytical reports on most major companies, by brand. There are also many articles over the years describing Mercury's target markets and their "design language." While I don't remember specific articles, the target is trendsetters & women...check out articles when Elena Ford was on board. Good luck, you'll find that these papers are easy as hell once you get used to them. Make sure to go into office hours as much as possible to get this checked out...

Thanks red! Yea...this doesn't seem like a hard assignment, just a time-consuming one. What with Thanksgiving break, there are no office hours before the due date, but again it shouldn't be necessary if everything is considered. Plus, I elected to work with a partner on this so it isn't like I am doing ALL of the work, probably just most of it! LOL