You Gotta Be Kidding Me...

As some of you may know I posted a thread recently about the Riviera needing a transmission. The the day I got the car back the water pump went and ripped my belt to pieces. The grand total was roughly $3800. Now Monday night while driving on the interstate going about 65MPH my car shuts off. I coast to the shoulder and wait 2 and a half hours for a tow truck. Have the car towed 14 miles with my friend's AAA, and still pay $90 for the tow, and now for the good news. I just got a call from the shop telling me I need a engine. The car makes a very loud knocking noise and keeps shutting off. So now he's gonna get some quotes on an engine. I'm sitting here in absolute shock that all of this has happened within a 2 week period. So much for "bullet proof" 3800 V6's. BTW it only has 110K on it. :angry2:

As some of you may know I posted a thread recently about the Riviera needing a transmission. The the day I got the car back the water pump went and ripped my belt to pieces. The grand total was roughly $3800. Now Monday night while driving on the interstate going about 65MPH my car shuts off. I coast to the shoulder and wait 2 and a half hours for a tow truck. Have the car towed 14 miles with my friend's AAA, and still pay $90 for the tow, and now for the good news. I just got a call from the shop telling me I need a engine. The car makes a very loud knocking noise and keeps shutting off. So now he's gonna get some quotes on an engine. I'm sitting here in absolute shock that all of this has happened within a 2 week period. So much for "bullet proof" 3800 V6's. BTW it only has 110K on it. :angry2:

Do you really want to spend more than what the car is worth?

Honestly, the 3800 is pretty good. When did you buy the Riv? What was the history on the vehicle? I'd also get a second opinion on everything...

Do you really want to spend more than what the car is worth?

Honestly, the 3800 is pretty good. When did you buy the Riv? What was the history on the vehicle? I'd also get a second opinion on everything...

Well the thing is I've just put 4 grand into it a week and a half ago on a tranny rebuild, water pump, oil change and inspection. If I try to sell the car for parts I won't get anywhere near what I've put into it. I bought it 3 years ago with 64,924 miles on it. Carfax showed it had to previous owners prior to me and that it had been involved in at least one accident ( there are two accidents listed but both as listed as happening on the same date) Having done auto body work in the past I could tell where it had been hit which was the drivers door and left quarter panel. So no engine damage as far as I can tell from any sort of impact. To answer your question on whether I want to sink more money into, the answer is obviously no, however I'm kind of in a no win situation as I do not have the means to purchase another car. If I were to buy anything else it would have to be new or slightly used meaning 2-3 years old. I will not settle for another car with over 50K on it. I originally paid about 6K for he car 3 years ago. I'm weighing all my options as far as the repairs go, if a good deal on a 3800 present itself soon, I will look into determining exactly what is wrong rather than saying the engine is a total loss.

Does anyone know what would be required to swap in a later series 2 3800 motor into a series one car? Aside from having to change the computer and so forth, what am I looking at to make it happen, both in parts and price. The reason I'm asking is because I'd rather have a series 2 over another series 1 due to higher torque and horsepower ratings on later 3800's, plus more aftermarket support. Anyone in the know please help, any and all suggestions are welcome.

The search continues for a Series I 3800, however some research has shown that the pre '95 supercharged Series I motors differ from the '95's and the '96 and up motors are Series II. Making my engine according to the shop as well as what I've seen online, one year only. Thus the search for a '95 Series I supercharged engine is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. At this stage I'm leaning towards rebuilding my engine rather then search for another used motor which could very well be a pile of $h! too.

And they say the 2.7 is a pile of $h!...wow.

One year only...man that blows. I'm glad I have options for mine, it was hard enough to find a complete one.

Good luck with your car man.

But Chrysler more than made up with it with the 3.5

As a former Concorde owner, all I can say is that your going to be very, very happy when you finish your swap.

Hell, your making me wish I'd kept the Concorde and fixed it up.

Chris

At least it's not the 79...my dad had a 79 88. I have lots of fun memories of high school dates in that car.

It's amazing the number of girls you can molest in an Oldsmobile.

Chris

But Chrysler more than made up with it with the 3.5

As a former Concorde owner, all I can say is that your going to be very, very happy when you finish your swap.

Hell, your making me wish I'd kept the Concorde and fixed it up.

Chris

Yeah, there's a bit of irony in my statement, cuz you know...I can still drive my 2.7. Supposedly Monday is the big day...I'm quite excited.

Chris, you know you could always pick one up for cheap. :wink:

At least it's not the 79...my dad had a 79 88. I have lots of fun memories of high school dates in that car.

It's amazing the number of girls you can molest in an Oldsmobile.

Chris

Unfortunately the Olds is another heap of problems and isn't road worthy currently, thus leaving me as an owner of 2 cars and yet I'm without a car for God knows how long.

It's things like this with the Riv which all snow balled into GM's lackluster reputation, one which even some of the best cars on the road today that they produce can't seem to shovel away that pile of $h! known as GM's past 30 years.

Edited by Delta Force79

Well the thing is I've just put 4 grand into it a week and a half ago on a tranny rebuild, water pump, oil change and inspection. If I try to sell the car for parts I won't get anywhere near what I've put into it. I bought it 3 years ago with 64,924 miles on it. Carfax showed it had to previous owners prior to me and that it had been involved in at least one accident ( there are two accidents listed but both as listed as happening on the same date) Having done auto body work in the past I could tell where it had been hit which was the drivers door and left quarter panel. So no engine damage as far as I can tell from any sort of impact. To answer your question on whether I want to sink more money into, the answer is obviously no, however I'm kind of in a no win situation as I do not have the means to purchase another car. If I were to buy anything else it would have to be new or slightly used meaning 2-3 years old. I will not settle for another car with over 50K on it. I originally paid about 6K for he car 3 years ago. I'm weighing all my options as far as the repairs go, if a good deal on a 3800 present itself soon, I will look into determining exactly what is wrong rather than saying the engine is a total loss.

Does anyone know what would be required to swap in a later series 2 3800 motor into a series one car? Aside from having to change the computer and so forth, what am I looking at to make it happen, both in parts and price. The reason I'm asking is because I'd rather have a series 2 over another series 1 due to higher torque and horsepower ratings on later 3800's, plus more aftermarket support. Anyone in the know please help, any and all suggestions are welcome.

All I know is this... That the Series I went into for example a '95 Bonneville and in '96 it was a Series II. So I have no exact idea how much would got into swapping but I have feeling it wouldn't be too bad. Having said that if you are talking about a Supercharged L67 motor your getting you will be fine with any year. As for the 3800 Series II L36 you should got with an 2004-2005 motor as they have the updated intake which is better, but an aftermarket intake will do the same. On the L26 (Series III) all have a new metal intake.

Edited by gm4life

Personally, I would rebuild it and go custom then you can achieve what you want rather than just upgrading to the series II motor.

• 3 weeks later...

Well figured it was time for a little update. No 3800's were found during our search so I ended up deciding to rebuild my original motor. Apparently the engine spun a bearing in one of the cylinders. So the heads and everything are being sent out to be refurbished as well as just a full on rebuild. This is costing me roughly another 4K. Not sure if I'm being ripped off or not, but the guy at the shop quoted me 13 hours of labor plus parts. Plus sending the heads out etc. So is 4K in the general ballpark of a typical rebuild? This Monday will mark 3 weeks since the car has been in the shop and the work is only just getting underway, so I'll be without a car for quite a bit more time. I really miss driving :(