GM's NEW HYBRID Provides Additional Options for...

Variance

Link: http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...n=2&docid=17540

GM's NEW HYBRID Provides Additional Options for Consumers

*Simple, elegant hybrid architecture
*Affordable system that provides good fuel economy savings
*Mated To 2.4-Liter VVT Ecotec engine, 4T45E automatic transmission
*Will debut on Saturn VUE Green Line

MILFORD, MICH - General Motors is gearing up to launch a new affordable hybrid system that will deliver a good fuel economy savings and a real payback for consumers. Saturn will be the first to debut the belt alternator starter hybrid system in mid-2006, when it introduces the 2007 Vue Green Line.

”With GM’s belt alternator starter hybrid in the Saturn Vue Green line, we expect consumers to get a real payback on their initial investment over the life of the vehicle,” said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Powertrain. “Final fuel economy numbers and pricing for the Vue hybrid will be announced next spring after calibrations are finalized.”

The GM belt alternator starter hybrid is one of three innovative hybrid systems that GM plans to introduce on up to 12 models, providing consumers a broad portfolio of hybrid systems that will vary in fuel savings and cost.

GM launched the world’s first hybrid pickup trucks in 2004, the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Retail availability of these full-size trucks with GM’s parallel-hybrid system expands nationwide beginning with the 2006 model year after initially being sold in six states.

GM also announced it is developing an all-new two-mode full hybrid system that is uniquely compact and scalable. This new two-mode full hybrid will first be marketed in GM’s new Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon full-size SUVs in 2007. The system is based on GM’s successful diesel-electric hybrid propulsion system for transit buses, 364 of which are in service in 25 cities in the U.S. and Canada .

GM’s belt alternator starter hybrid combines sophisticated controls with a precision electric motor/generator mated to the engine.

“The best design is uncomplicated and easy to implement,” said Larry Nitz, executive director of GM’s hybrid program. “This simple, elegant hybrid architecture makes it possible to implement globally on a broad spectrum of vehicle applications at an attractive price.”

Among the many advantages of the GM belt alternator starter hybrid is its flexibility. It can be applied to multiple engines with minimal change to the engine or transmission.

In the Saturn Vue Green Line, the system will be mated with GM’s state-of-the-art 2.4-liter variable valve timing (VVT) Ecotec engine and Hydra-Matic 4T45-E electronically controlled overdrive transaxle.

GM engineers developed the belt alternator starter hybrid to deliver improved fuel economy by performing the following functions:

*Shuts off the engine when the vehicle is brought to a stop to minimize engine idling
*Restarts the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
*Enables early fuel cutoff to the engine during vehicle deceleration
*Captures vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration to help charge the advanced nickel metal hydride hybrid battery (regenerative braking)
*Performs intelligent battery charging by opportunistically charging when it’s most efficient

The belt alternator starter hybrid also will provide an electric power assist during acceleration when needed. During a wide-open throttle or aggressive passing maneuver, the system improves vehicle launch and acceleration feel by assisting the engine to achieve maximum power.

The system is designed to automatically maintain accessory functionality and passenger comfort when the engine is stopped so that hybrid operation is transparent to the driver and passengers.

The belt alternator starter hybrid consists of six major components:

*A precision electric motor/generator unit
*Engine coolant-cooled power electronics that control the motor/generator unit and provide 12-volt vehicle accessory power
*An advanced, nickel metal hydride hybrid battery pack capable of delivering and receiving more than 10kW of peak power
*An engine control module that includes sophisticated Hybrid Supervisory *Software to manage both engine and hybrid system operation
*A new engine accessory drive with dual tensioner assembly and aramid cord belt that enables reliable transfer of both motoring and generating torque
*The hybrid-enabled 4T45-E electronically controlled overdrive transaxle that includes an auxiliary oil pump and unique hybrid controls to ensure seamless hybrid operation.

GM’s belt alternator starter hybrid operates in motoring or generating mode.

In the motoring mode, the belt alternator starter hybrid is used to quickly restart the engine upon brake pedal release and to provide momentary acceleration assist as needed. To perform these functions, the advanced nickel metal hydride hybrid battery converts its stored chemical energy into direct current (DC) electrical energy. The hybrid’s power electronics then convert the DC electrical energy to three-phase alternating current (AC) to run the motor/generator unit as a motor. Vehicle accessory power (12V) is also generated in this mode.

In the generating mode, the belt alternator starter hybrid is used to provide both 12V vehicle accessory power and power to recharge the hybrid battery. To perform these functions, the engine is used to power the motor/generator unit, which then provides a three-phase electrical output. In this mode, the energy required to drive the engine may come from either gasoline when accelerating or the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle when decelerating with the fuel cut off. The three-phase AC electrical output of the motor/generator is then converted to DC electrical outputs by the power electronics that are, in turn, used to efficiently charge both the hybrid and vehicle accessory batteries.

GM’s hybrid strategy is part of GM’s larger overall advanced propulsion technology strategy, which is focused on introducing new technologies to improve the internal combustion engine and transmissions to further reduce vehicle emissions and increase fuel economy.

“We want to provide consumers a choice that will be in harmony with their budget, vehicle expectations and fuel economy needs,” said Stephens. “The belt alternator starter hybrid will offer consumers the combination of an affordable price and a good fuel economy improvement over the base vehicle.”

Well this is good news, I thought the BAS Hybrid was just going to be the belt alternator starter, and wouldn't have an electric model to go along with it. A powerpoint I have on GM fuel economy and future technology, it has the Aura getting the same system in early '07 and the Malibu (next gen) both getting it. Both are with the 2.4L as well.

is this like the silverado and sierra hybrids systems? I dont think the image of Caddy as a hybrid would be a good thing. I mean that when i think hybrid i think small compact car that looks like a piece of plastic that is stamped. its not only me a couple of my buddys think that to. I have to realize hybrid good gas guzzling car not as good. GM has been at hybrids for 30 years now and there first MAJOR hybrids are just now coming out.

It'll be hillarious if the VUE Green Line, with its simple alternator system, will get better real world fuel economy than the Escape, with its complex full-hybrid system. Edmunds averages just 22.3 MPG from the Ford, and 22 MPG from the Accord Hybrid. Is the GM alternator system similar to Honda's IMA?

It'll be hillarious if the VUE Green Line, with its simple alternator system, will get better real world fuel economy than the Escape, with its complex full-hybrid system. Edmunds averages just 22.3 MPG from the Ford, and 22 MPG from the Accord Hybrid. Is the GM alternator system similar to Honda's IMA?

[post="6923"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How unbelievably horrible for the Accord... we have an '05 Accord Coupe V-6 and get 36 HWY and 26 CITY without hybrid technology. Horrible. Edited by SingleStylish

[post="6923"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

22 mpg for the Escape is not too bad, considering it is an SUV. Around 29 mpg would be more like it, though. 22 mpg for the Accord is awful. GM can probably do better than that with a non-hybrid Impala V8.

A 400hp Corvette Z06 gets 26mpg highway. Hybrids are a mixed bag: same (or slightly worse) mpg in the city and higher (but not as high as advertised) gas mileage on the freeway. GM's BAS system looks tremendously simple -- and it also looks "vehicle portable". Kudo's to GM. Toyota has to engineer their Synergy drive system into each vehicle they fit it into. GM's BAS system looks much more flexible. I think GM's two-mode hybrid system that will debut on the GMT9xx's is really going to be GM's best (most efficient) hybrid system.

is this like the silverado and sierra hybrids systems?

I dont think the image of Caddy as a hybrid would be a good thing.

I mean that when i think hybrid i think small compact car that looks like a piece of plastic that is stamped. its not only me a couple of my buddys think that to.

I have to realize hybrid good gas guzzling car not as good.

GM has been at hybrids for 30 years now and there first MAJOR hybrids are just now coming out.

[post="6676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why are Lexus Hybrids good, yet Cadillac hybrids would be bad?

People are really clamoring for the RX400h.

Is it JUST ME or does a BELT STARTER sound REALLY SCARY??----((BELT STARTER??))

It's no-less scary than using a belt to control your valve-train. If your belt snaps on your alternator-starter, the car doesn't start or charge. If your timing belt snaps, your engine could be ruined.*

* = If your engine has an "interferance" valve design, the valves open within the cylinder. If a valve is stuck in the open position when the piston reaches tdc (top dead center), your valve, your head, and depending on where the parts fly/end-up, your engine block could all *easily* be destroyed.

It's no-less scary than using a belt to control your valve-train.  If your belt snaps on your alternator-starter, the car doesn't start  or charge.  If your timing belt snaps, your engine could be ruined.*

* = If your engine has an "interferance" valve design, the valves open within the cylinder.  If a valve is stuck in the open position when the piston reaches tdc (top dead center), your valve, your head, and depending on where the parts fly/end-up, your engine block could all *easily* be destroyed.

[post="10711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes I was aware of that. I never mutch liked TIMEING BELTS eather prefering TIMEING CHAINS myself. <_< It seems to me that back in the day they dident use a starting belt instead useing the flyweel for LOGICAL REASONS. Turning a AC compressor/Alternator/power stearing pump ect. is one thing. But ((STARTING THE ENGINE))!?!? I dont know!! <_<It better be ONE HELL OF A BELT!! :huh:

Any reason for using the 4speed over the new 6speeds?

[post="10715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

6-speed wasn't ready. Most manufacturers use a CVT with their hybrids but Saturn has already been tainted by the evils of a Hungarian "VTi" transmission and probably didn't want to risk that again along with this new technology. Saturn is GMs risk-taker because they have less to lose and carry less baggage than other divisions. Sometimes I hate being in the "guinea pig" division but when the risks pay off, they can pay off BIG!