Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CSpec

Wheel vibration and pull to the left

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 with which I change rims in the winter and summer. I've been noticing a more and more intrusive vibration coming from the front wheels, I believe the left one. It makes a noise when going above a certain speed, and on certain road surfaces I can feel a wobble in the steering wheel. Also, the car wants to pull slightly to the left on the highway, and when I go around a left hand turn on the highway both the noise and the steering wheel vibration go away. It's not a problem with the rim or the tire as I have changed these. What could be causing this?

I am no expert but it sounds like a wheel bearing or a brake rotor to me...plus it is probably out of alignment.

Chris

If it's the wheel bearing you should hear a humming/squeaking/grinding sound as the car is moving.

If its the rotor the brake pedal should vibrate when applied

This sounds like it could be the tie rods.

I am no expert but it sounds like a wheel bearing or a brake rotor to me...plus it is probably out of alignment.

Chris

Agreed. Or a tie rod.

How bad is it pulling? Is it worse at higher speeds?

Agreed. Or a tie rod.

How bad is it pulling? Is it worse at higher speeds?

It's not a brake rotor because I just had my brakes done and it didn't change anything. It pulls very slightly - if you let go of the wheel on the highway you drift slowly to the left. The noise and pull definitely get more noticeable with speed.

Does the wobble in the steering wheel match the beat of the sound being made? This was the case in the CRV and it turned out to be the CV joint.

I believe the pulling to the left is just an alignment issue.

Thanks for the tips, fellas. I think I'll just get a 4-wheel alignment and troubleshoot from there. Maybe they'll be able to see something when it's jacked up.

They should be able to pull back the boots on the CV joint and check for damage.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0