Audi fails emission standards

balthazar

Ha-Harrrr!!!

Posted Image

So what happens I travel south for 15 min and buy one in PA and take it back up? I'm forced to sell it or will there be a way to allow it to meet emission standards? *EDIT* Anything change from the 05 model or is this NY's new emmision regulations stopping it? Edited by Decka

So what happens I travel south for 15 min and buy one in PA and take it back up? I'm forced to sell it or will there be a way to allow it to meet emission standards?

*EDIT*
Anything change from the 05 model or is this NY's new emmision regulations stopping it?

[post="48778"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not certain but I believe you'll get into some trouble when you have to get the car inspected.

If a car does not have CA emissions, you can purchase and register it in another state, drive it for at least 7500 miles, and then register it in CA. When it gets smogged, it will be tested under federal emission standards not CA's. This also applies to people who are interested in buying diesel passenger cars in CA.

More...

Can consumers register MY 2004 diesel passenger vehicles in Massachusetts?
Beginning in MY 2004, diesel passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks weighing up to 8,500 pounds GVWR, with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer, cannot be registered in Massachusetts under MassDEP?s LEV program. In order for a vehicle to be registered in Massachusetts it must be California-certified. Since MY 2004 diesel passenger vehicles will not be California-certified, consumers cannot register these vehicles in Massachusetts.

Requirements for Sale and Registration of Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles in Massachusetts
Prior to being sold or registered in Massachusetts, MY 2004 and newer light-duty (up to 8,500 GVWR) diesel powered vehicles must be certified as meeting California motor vehicle emission standards. This also applies to all light-duty diesel powered vehicles with 7500 miles or less on the odometer.

I. New Vehicles that have not been previously titled:

The Certificate of Origin must be imprinted with a statement of compliance by the manufacturer indicating that the vehicle is California-certified.

Statements that Comply:

* This vehicle has a California emission system
        * This vehicle meets/satisfies Massachusetts emission standards
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in Massachusetts
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in 50 states

Statements that Do Not Comply:

* This vehicle meets/satisfies Federal emission standards
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in 49 states
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in New York or Vermont
        * A dealership certification stamp
        * No statement

II. Previously titled vehicles with less than 7500 miles on the odometer:

The Vehicle Emission Control Information Label (Information Label), which is affixed by the manufacturer under the hood of the vehicle, must indicate that the vehicle is California-certified.

Statements that Comply:

* This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and state of California regulations
        * This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations and is certified for sale in California
        * This vehicle meets/satisfies Massachusetts and Maine emission standards
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in 50 states

Statements that Do Not Comply:

* This vehicle conforms Federal emission standards
        * This vehicle conforms to the National Low Emission Vehicle standards
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in 49 states
        * This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in New York and or Vermont.
        * No Label

From that, you can deduce that previously titled vehicles with over 7500 miles are exempt. Edited by empowah

How can someone register a car outside of their state of residence?? Here in NJ that is strictly frowned apon- the primary motivator for attempting such being horrific insurance rates here. You have a very limited time to update your registration after moving to NJ, something like 2 weeks. I would be surprised if many other states were not the same way. Also wondering if any other audis use these engines and if they are affected as well or why not. A3 use either of these?

How can someone register a car outside of their state of residence?? Here in NJ that is strictly frowned apon- the primary motivator for attempting such being horrific insurance rates here. You have a very limited time to update your registration after moving to NJ, something like 2 weeks. I would be surprised if many other states were not the same way.

Also wondering if any other audis use these engines and if they are affected as well or why not. A3 use either of these?

[post="48808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That person would have to own a home out-of-state or buy the car "used" with 7500 miles on it. The buyer could also attempt to rack up 7500 miles in 20 days, or however long the temporary tags last. Not exactly practical, but if they really wanted a '06 TT, it's possible.

The TT is a bit of a lame-duck; no other Audi uses the 1.8T or non-FSI direct injection 3.2. AFAIK, the 3.2 FSI TT (the 250 hp version), which shares its engine with the A3, A4, and A6 is still CA-legal.

I thought European cars were way more environmentally friendly then their big bulky American counterparts. Hmm... Pretty sad that an H2 is safer on the environment then the TT. Having said that. I like the TT. It's a sweet car. It's sad really. These states are adopting Kyoto-like policies. Be thankful that the US hasn't done so or a lot of bad things will happen. Edited by Cadillacfan85

I thought European cars were way more environmentally friendly then their big bulky American counterparts.  Hmm... Pretty sad that an H2 is safer on the environment then the TT.

Having said that.  I like the TT.  It's a sweet car. 

It's sad really.  These states are adopting Kyoto-like policies.  Be thankful that the US hasn't done so or a lot of bad things will happen.

[post="48842"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unfortunately, the TT has only sold about 2-4k units this year, IIRC. I think the 1.8T is the issue. The gentleman above who referenced the 7.5k mi. exemption is 100% correct for NYS.

If you register it below that figure, it automatically generates a DEC violation for the owner and the biz that sold it (I'm not sure about individuals.)

I'm not into them, anyway. Gussied up last gen Golfs don't do it for me.

I thought European cars were way more environmentally friendly then their big bulky American counterparts.  Hmm... Pretty sad that an H2 is safer on the environment then the TT.

[post="48842"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

To most people's surprise and chagrin, the United States has generally stricter motor vehicle emissions standards than most of Europe and even Japan.