Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

So who likes Aviation?

19 posts in this topic

Went to the New England Air Museum today, they had some amazing stuff. If you guys want I'll post some photos. There were a few prewar cars in the museum too.

I do, for my birthday my wife has given me helicopter lessons, I had my 1st lesson last Saturday, I learned how to auto-rotate. No ocn, it's not what you think ... :P

Go ahead post them DF. I love Aircrafts especially the WWII ones always fascinate me.

I've got 447 photos to sort through so give me a bit. :lol:

This is a very cool museum, they have a lot of last survivors, special aircraft, and one-of-a-kind aircraft. For example, they used to have B-17G 44-85734 which was used as an experimental engine test bed before it was donated to the museum and nearly destroyed by the 1979 tornado.

aa22.jpg

Cool... I've long been fascinated by aviation..have been to the Air and Space Museum in DC, Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson in Ohio, Yankee Air Museum, Willow Run, Michigan, and the San Diego Air and Space Museum. And worked for a navigation charting and systems company, so I've learned a lot of teh cool 'inside baseball' terminology like waypoints, moving maps, NOTAMs, VORTACs, etc.. have long thought about pursuing a pilot's license, if I had the time and disposable $$$.

I'll start things off with the Museum's main attraction. This is a B-29A Super Fortress. It's been at the museum for a while. When I was young we went to this museum, and at the time it was sitting outside rusting away. Well I learned recently that it was mostly restored and now inside, which is the main reason I wanted to go. It didn't disappoint.

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

As you can see, they've done a wonderful job restoring it. Gentleman I chatted with, whose job is to keep it clean, told me they are still restoring it, currently working on the fuel lines.

The B-29 is in it's own building, and while it is the main attraction, there are some other things in there.

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

Next up, their other big (and I do mean big) plane, the XPBS-1, The Flying Dreadnought. This is the only one ever built, and has quite a story to tell.

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

Here's another one-of-a-kind aircraft, the Kaman Ki6B. It was an experimental VTOL flying boat.

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

Nice pics, DF. I've never head of the Kaman before. It's a funky little thing. The blimp fuselage is awesome as well.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room