Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So who likes Aviation?

I've got 447 photos to sort through so give me a bit. :lol:

This is a very cool museum, they have a lot of last survivors, special aircraft, and one-of-a-kind aircraft. For example, they used to have B-17G 44-85734 which was used as an experimental engine test bed before it was donated to the museum and nearly destroyed by the 1979 tornado.

aa22.jpg

Cool... I've long been fascinated by aviation..have been to the Air and Space Museum in DC, Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson in Ohio, Yankee Air Museum, Willow Run, Michigan, and the San Diego Air and Space Museum. And worked for a navigation charting and systems company, so I've learned a lot of teh cool 'inside baseball' terminology like waypoints, moving maps, NOTAMs, VORTACs, etc.. have long thought about pursuing a pilot's license, if I had the time and disposable $$$.

I'll start things off with the Museum's main attraction. This is a B-29A Super Fortress. It's been at the museum for a while. When I was young we went to this museum, and at the time it was sitting outside rusting away. Well I learned recently that it was mostly restored and now inside, which is the main reason I wanted to go. It didn't disappoint.

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

As you can see, they've done a wonderful job restoring it. Gentleman I chatted with, whose job is to keep it clean, told me they are still restoring it, currently working on the fuel lines.

The B-29 is in it's own building, and while it is the main attraction, there are some other things in there.

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg