Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Chevy cars?

There's been lots of talk about GM bringing new Caddys and Buicks to market, but what about Chevy?

Don't say Cruze - we knew about that before (and I couldn't care less).

Will they bring anything to interest me?

I hope so, because it is the only brand they have left that I might be interested in.

Honestly, I think I've decided to give up on any "future" models that I really want.

With the SS Cobalt, Solstice, Sky, Solstice Targe, G8, SS HHR being discontinued...

GM just killed about every product I would spend real world money to buy.

The CTS and Corvette are cool, as is the nu 'bu...

But for all I care we can, in the words of Oldsmoboi...become.."a GM historical Site."

Chris

Really, compared to the car companies on the move, Chevrolet has a LONG way to go.

Local Chevrolet dealer in Chillicothe where I work is right behind a resteraunt we service.

Every time I go by there the place is a ghost town. Local Hyundai dealer I pass on the way home...lots of activity. Went home Thursday and 3 (yeah, 3) Genesis coupes out for test drive.

I think the general is still a little too comfortable.

Chris

I think they will "show you something" but that something isn't what your going to want to see.

let me be very honest with you...I could see you buying a 98-02 Ls1 F-Bird, building a 1Le clone out of it, and enjoying it. Because GM ain't gonna be building your kinda car. At least I don't think so.

What they will be showing you is a series of cars like the Volt that may or may not do well and may or may not save GM.

But if you were to go look behind the closed doors at GM right now, that is EXACTLY what you would see on the design boards.

I'll bet we have the Stang, Challenger, and Camaro around for 5 years tops. (remember how quickly people tired of them, sales wise, the first time they were out?)(remember also the cluster of the 73 and 79 oil crises?)

GM, I will predict, will eventually be to us like the girls we dated in high school. A lot of fun, great memories, but a part of our past that ain't coming back in a million years.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Outside the Cruze we have...

A C7 in the works

New Nox

New Camaro drop top

New Bu

New Orlando

New Impala

New Caprice? I am holding my breath

New Spark

New Aveo

New Cruze

New Volt in at least 1-2 gen

All are due in 5 years or less. I left out the Trucks and SUV too.

We need to accpet the fact GM is trying to sell cars to people who drive all kinds of vehicles so there will be many here you will have no interest in. The simple fact is GM needs to sell cars to more than just fan boys on the GM web site.

Also we will get some performance cars and option along the way. Just don't expect them to be the primary promoted cars. The GMPD guys are now doing the work developing these and not just tuning what they are given.

There is more here than we know so hang tight before anyone slits a wrist.

I suspect we will see the Z 28 in due time. Now is not the time to anounce it. the work is done and paid for so why not recover the cost after the spot light is off GM and the goverment loans.

Lets see we lost performance how many times and we would never have fun cars again? Now we have the best cars we ever had for performance.

The bottom line is sex and speed sells. I also find that our memories of girls in high school were well over rated. I find as they get older they get better skilled.

Edited by hyperv6

Honestly, I think I've decided to give up on any "future" models that I really want.

With the SS Cobalt, Solstice, Sky, Solstice Targe, G8, SS HHR being discontinued...

I was under the impression they were only killing the Cobalt SS Sedan and the HHR SS Panel...

Personally there will always be a niche section for specialty auto's, I do not see the fun of a camero or other performance auto going away. We will see a delay, but once things get back on a more solid footing, we will see new form of performance fun. :)

I was under the impression they were only killing the Cobalt SS Sedan and the HHR SS Panel...

I certainly hope so...I'll be in the market for a new car next year and both of those SS models are on my shopping list.

Chris

Yes, the non Panel HHR and Cobalt SS coupe have generally been well received. However, I read on one of the magazines too that all SS's except Camaro were going to be euthanized.

Outside the Cruze we have...

A C7 in the works

New Nox

New Camaro drop top

New Bu

New Orlando

New Impala

New Caprice? I am holding my breath

New Spark

New Aveo

New Cruze

New Volt in at least 1-2 gen

All are due in 5 years or less. I left out the Trucks and SUV too.

We need to accpet the fact GM is trying to sell cars to people who drive all kinds of vehicles so there will be many here you will have no interest in. The simple fact is GM needs to sell cars to more than just fan boys on the GM web site.

Also we will get some performance cars and option along the way. Just don't expect them to be the primary promoted cars. The GMPD guys are now doing the work developing these and not just tuning what they are given.

There is more here than we know so hang tight before anyone slits a wrist.

I suspect we will see the Z 28 in due time. Now is not the time to anounce it. the work is done and paid for so why not recover the cost after the spot light is off GM and the goverment loans.

Lets see we lost performance how many times and we would never have fun cars again? Now we have the best cars we ever had for performance.

The bottom line is sex and speed sells. I also find that our memories of girls in high school were well over rated. I find as they get older they get better skilled.

A Z/28 might interest me, at least mildly.

The rest are not going to be on my radar.

Yes, the non Panel HHR and Cobalt SS coupe have generally been well received. However, I read on one of the magazines too that all SS's except Camaro were going to be euthanized.

2010 is the end for the HHR SS and I think the Cobalt SS.

But they were not going to live past 2010 or 11 anyway They both will be gone during the 2010 model year.

The fact is Before last falls money crunch there were no new SS anounced in the works. They made it clear the Cruze was not going SS. Other than the Camaro I know of no other Chevy being an SS in the near future.

I think Chevy was more worried about getting a new Before it becomes old out dated car like the Impala. And Chevy also knows it is behind on the Impala change with the many changes to it's plan due to goverment regs changing. Chevy needs to get its basic car line up updated and fixed to where they are all great cars for the money. Then once everything is updated they can play again.

A Z/28 might interest me, at least mildly.

The rest are not going to be on my radar.

It is not just about you.

They have to hit the main stream public. That is an area they need the most work in since it brings in the most coin. You and I are a niche car persons, we want car that everyone else don't have and will be addressed in time. The car you and I want don't pay the light bills is the bottom line.

It is not just about you.

They have to hit the main stream public. That is an area they need the most work in since it brings in the most coin. You and I are a niche car persons, we want car that everyone else don't have and will be addressed in time. The car you and I want don't pay the light bills is the bottom line.

But this thread is "about me".

No matter how many times you repeat the bland, basic, car mantra, the fact remains that there is no offering for me left.

I started this thread looking for some hope: none found.

But this thread is "about me".

No matter how many times you repeat the bland, basic, car mantra, the fact remains that there is no offering for me left.

I started this thread looking for some hope: none found.

Sorry to be harsh but deal with it.

The fact is if the boring cars don't start paying the bills there will never be any fun cars. So your hope is in a bunch of boring import loving losers to start buying Chevy Cruze's and Sparks. This will fund fun cars you want.

The fact is if the boring cars don't start paying the bills there will never be any fun cars. So your hope is in a bunch of boring import loving losers to start buying Chevy Cruze's and Sparks. This will fund fun cars you want.

Sorry to be harsh in return, but if that is the case, the battle is already lost.

My desires when it comes to a vehicle are just as legitimate as any other customer.

If they have chosen to lose me permanently, so be it.

But I refuse to cheer for stuff I don't have any interest in while believing in some future mirage.

Sorry to be harsh in return, but if that is the case, the battle is already lost.

My desires when it comes to a vehicle are just as legitimate as any other customer.

If they have chosen to lose me permanently, so be it.

But I refuse to cheer for stuff I don't have any interest in while believing in some future mirage.

You have every right not to support them just as they have a right to try to turn a profit with product that will connect with the common majority auto buyer.

Lets face it if GM had gotten the Vega, Monza and Cavallier right we would have still had a Pontiac with real performance because GM would not be hurting for money to the point they had to rebage a bunch of Chevys and Toyotas.

So lets cheer them on to get the mainstream cars right so they will have the money to bring us the cars we really want.

I will never buy a Spark or a Cruze but if they get them right it will pave the path to a new Camaro. If the Cruze, Spark and New Bu fail then no new performance and what you have now will be gone.

You have got to give to get. Performance is not free.

That's funny. Seems like BMW, Porsche, and to a lesser degree Subaru and Mazda seem to make fun cars without depending exclusively on a boring car.

I'm not holding my breathe that the Cruze and Spark are going to steal much from the imports, except for Corolla, Yaris and Sentra drivers.

I'm not holding my breathe that the Cruze and Spark are going to steal much from the imports, except for Corolla, Yaris and Sentra drivers.

True that. I think GM is taking a big gamble by going ho-hum with out any significant performance balance. The strategy may bring the finicky appliance customers but it will lose at least some of loyal base who are enthusiasts.

True that. I think GM is taking a big gamble by going ho-hum with out any significant performance balance. The strategy may bring the finicky appliance customers but it will lose at least some of loyal base who are enthusiasts.

Someone else gets it!

Someone else gets it!

Like I have said earlier. GM is trying to get a bigger picture, but it still is having tunnel vision syndrome. Put efforts here and neglect there. Put resources right and take away from left. Granted GM is now struggling with money and that $30B is its last lifeline. But given what is coming out since bankruptcy, rather than complete overhaul in strategy, products, resources, and development to accommodate those $30B to spend wisely, GM is just looking for new bandages. I personally do not think GM will survive like this.

Ford got its product strategy right and made it public - that helped gaining positive perception a lot. GM might have got its strategy in order, but being ambivalent and throwing of skew one-liners only means more confusion in people and perception of more confusion in management.

That's funny. Seems like BMW, Porsche, and to a lesser degree Subaru and Mazda seem to make fun cars without depending exclusively on a boring car.

What you leae out is they already have good selling cars and are not losing money by the bucket fulls.

People said the Bu was not going to do anything for Chevy and it turns out to be doing very well. GM is not going to take the lead here but they need these cars to stay in the game.

Ford dropped much of their performance line for a short time accept the Mustang and now they have the new cars out we now have a new SHO and will see a new Focus in the future. Ford fixed the cars first then went to add more fun later. GM needs a goos car foundation first just as Ford did.

I think the one liners are there because they don't know what they can or will do till they leave court. They have already made enough statments that they had to eat in the past and are smart enough to keep their mouths shut till they know what all it left.