Getting a new vehicle... need incentive advice

As some of you know I have an 05 Mustang GT. It's in near mint condition with only one minor blemish on the whole car andI take good care of it for the most part. That said, I've run into some situations over the last year that have brought me face to face with the ocassional disadvantage of owning a RWD coupe.

My girlfriend and I, (we live together and are getting married in the next 18-24 months once we save some money) love going snowboarding in the winter. I'm a good driver and i can drive a RWD car in the snow but its one thing driving it around in crappy wheather locally in the tristate area then it is to take a 6 hour drive up to white face mountain with all the hills and grades with heavily snowed and unplowed roads. I did it seveal time last year and managed it without major incident but it did et exciting on ocassion...

Also this last year Moving a ton of crap around I have come to really want something with more than two door.

Now don't worry, my girlfriend also needs a car very badly and I easily have the means to afford a 2nd vehicle to go along with my mustang so we have settled on getting a loaded up ford escape.

We want a black on tan V6 AWD. The escape had nice cosmetic updates last year and the 09 has new drivetrain updates. The 3.0 v6 makes 240 hp on regular and 250 with E86 and it has a 6 speed auto. fuel economy is very good, it drives very well on road while providing some utility, has a cool truckish look to it and just strikes a sweat spot that happens to fit all of our wants and demands very well.

I would have considered a GM but frankly I want to support the only non government supported domestic at the momment, especially since Ford's quality has only been going up, and I have had such a good experience with my mustang.

Now comes the questions. The escape I have priced has come out to 28K MSRP. From what I see its eligible for 0 percent financing if I qualify, as well as no payments for 3 months.

Is this accurate? are their other incentives I could take advantage of if I go to buy it this weekend? Also its been a little while since I've bought a car new. What do you recommend I do to get the best deal?

Incentives vary by region, but it looks like the tri-state area is offering $1,000 rebate (or 0% for 36 mo) plus $1,500 bonus cash (or 3 payments, up to $500 each) for most 2009 Fords.

Do the calculations and see if it's better to get the $1,000 cash and finance separately. At invoice, you're looking at $4K off... though $24K is still a lot for an Escape, IMO. There are newer, safer, and more efficient CUVs out there you could check out. The Escape has a pretty weak roof and the V6 models only get 17 mpg city.

Well I believe there are several websites with incentive info, including Ford's own site. I am trying to talk a cousin of mine into a 2010 Equinox. She didn't know about it until I told her to check Chevy's site. Before that, her shopping list included a Patriot, CR-V or even a used Edge. Edited by ocnblu

a new Nox will likely cost more the way i would want to equip it, plus being brand new it would not have any incentives and also on the off chance that I would have to lemon law it I don't want to be issued a check that bounces by a banckrupt GM . Chrysler was issuing bad checks when they people lemon lawed their cars during their bankruptcy period.