W-Body ABS code ??

Is there a positive way to tell if an '03 GP SE has ABS or not? Code on the decklid code label?

There's nothing hokey like "ABS" on the wheel centers or brake pedal.

Bought a rear bearing/hub assembly as one in the rear is bad, counter guy asked if it has ABS & I assumed 'yes', but it's not standard on other than the GTP, and I'm wondering if it DOESN'T have ABS, that I'll need to swap it for another hub. Will possibly be replacing it tomm evening, so a speedy confirmation would be appreciated before it's exploded in the driveway.

BTW- GM wanted $435 for this part, NAPA: $138.

Is there a positive way to tell if an '03 GP SE has ABS or not? Code on the decklid code label?

There's nothing hokey like "ABS" on the wheel centers or brake pedal.

Bought a rear bearing/hub assembly as one in the rear is bad, counter guy asked if it has ABS & I assumed 'yes', but it's not standard on other than the GTP, and I'm wondering if it DOESN'T have ABS, that I'll need to swap it for another hub. Will possibly be replacing it tomm evening, so a speedy confirmation would be appreciated before it's exploded in the driveway.

BTW- GM wanted $435 for this part, NAPA: $138.

NAPA should be able to tell from the VIN.

Additionally, the code will be on the sticker (probably in the glovebox) that has all of the option codes (service parts label).

Or, you could stab the brakes hard. :AH-HA_wink:

Follow the brake lines. GM, to my knowledge, has used two ABS styles... add on systems (B-body, F-body) and intergrated into the master cylinder (J-body).

Lucky for you, W-bodies have both. Early cars have the intergrated unit, which makes for a giagantic master cylinder add-on. Later models have a separate system, which is likely what you have, has a separate box on the strut housing. If you see the brake lines go from the master cylinder to the ABS box... you have ABS. In the lines dive down under the car, you don't.

Uh well the easiest way to tell is simply turn the key to the "run" position. All of the warning lights will come on in the dash as a test... see if any of them say "ABS". Edited by ocnblu

Uh well the easiest way to tell is simply turn the key to the "run" position. All of the warning lights will come on in the dash as a test... see if any of them say "ABS".

You should also feel the brake pedal move as it conducts its test at start up.

All good (duh!) info. I'm just not 'in synch' with modern iron.

IntraWeb states only the GTP had them standard in '03.

Traced the brake lines- no 'box'. Didn't see any wire to the rear hub either.

Had the dealer run the VIN- no ABS. Both service counter guys were surprised.

Non-ABS bearing/hub assembly from NAPA : $88.

Looks simple enough to install, but I'm desparately short on time, will swallow the $180 labor (ABS hub- maybe non-ABS hub will be a few bucks less).

Thanks.

May have replaced the hub for nothing: trailing arm bushings on that side are going. Car 'clunks' over harsh bumps, and you can rock the rear tire east-2-west while the car is on the ground.

As it's only 3 bolts, I will tackle it in my shop next week. 2 bars are $204 thru dealer-

should be able to scare them up elsewhere cheaper. Dealer wants $190 for the labor.

Uh well the easiest way to tell is simply turn the key to the "run" position. All of the warning lights will come on in the dash as a test... see if any of them say "ABS".

Good thinking. I was also going to suggest looking for the ABS fuse

as Camino said, if the ABS slot is blocked off or empty than you

got your answer right there.