I Got a New Car!

Hey guys. I picked up a new car on Saturday. Now, some of you may know me well enough to guess what kind of car I'd buy, but I'm counting on it that most of you would have no clue. It'll keep you guys guessing while I wait for an opportune moment to take pics. All I'll tell you is that I stuck to my budget of less than $25,000. I'll post pics on Saturday or Sunday, shortly after I take them.

IIRC, you were seriously considering a Maxx, and with the pretty decent red tag prices on them, I'll say you went with it. My second guess would be an Impala.

IIRC, you were seriously considering a Maxx, and with the pretty decent red tag prices on them, I'll say you went with it. My second guess would be an Impala.

[post="54131"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I decided to go with form over function, though the MAXX arguably has both.

Solstice.

[post="54160"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not that much form over function... :P

Prius?  :P

[post="54203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought the markup still pins them at over $25k.

Imageshack, you are my new best friend.

Oh... You too, Flybrian.

And whoever guessed 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT got the grand prize of five American cents. Claim your prize by scouring your local sidewalk for pennies.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've only had the car for a week and already I have a couple of interesting stories.

First, we were heading up to my wife's home town to pick the car up. It was snowing pretty bad, and I was driving about 45 in a 65 in our Chevy Venture (a car we have had for about 6 months now). I said to her, "Man, if we had the Cobalt with traction control now we could be cruising so much faster." Not more than five seconds later, a blue granite Cobalt LT coupe with chrome exhaust tip and a new car sticker in the window blew past me on the left side, little more than halfway to the end of our 320 mile drive.

We were talking to the dealer the next morning when we went to get the car and he told us that it was in fact our car that was driving up I81 the previous night. Sure enough, the car started off with about 260-something miles. I should note that we were already aware that this car was coming from a different dealership; I just wasn't sure how it would be transported. The car beat us to Oswego by about an hour and a half, but I think we had stopped for gas shortly after that.

Story number 2, somewhat embarrassing but interesting nonetheless. We were getting ready for church and had pulled into the parking lot on a nasty Sunday morning, the day after we picked up the new car. My wife had been driving for the most part, claiming her home town as her turf. She discovered that she had left home a handful of things that she really wanted to bring to church, and sent me back to go get them.

I get in the car, pull out of the parking lot, and drive up the hill to head back to her parents' house. I drive up the icy hill, take the icy corner, and begin to fishtail. Well, for a number of reasons (mostly involving my lack of better judgement), I lost control of the car, and tried to recollect myself by slamming hard on the ABS brakes. I wasn't able to recover the car's original trajectory, and slowly but surely plunged into a snow bank/ditch.

There was barely any weight on the back of the car. I tried to put it in reverse, but couldn't move the car. I tried calling my wife to tell her what happened, but she left her phone in her purse, in the car. In a stroke of 80 percent luck, 20 percent being close enough to the church, her parents drive by, followed by the pastor. I tell them I'm not hurt, a couple of us try to push the car out (it was a pretty nasty ditch, so no luck there). We called AAA and got a truck to pull the car out of the ditch. Not even a scratch on it.

During this time, the pastor explained to me that I had learned a "very soft lesson on Oswego driving". I was shaken by the whole experience, but thankfully no physical damage had taken place to either me or the car.

...So, check out the new ride. B)

Cool, this color looks very flatering in real life. B) You live on a dead end road?

Welcome to the Cobalt family, my friend. The blue granite color is awesome.I see you splurged for XM. How do you like it so far?

Welcome to the Cobalt family, my friend. The blue granite color is awesome.I see you splurged for XM. How do you like it so far?

[post="56189"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to listen to many of the rock stations for long, but the freedom of choice it provides is so much better than the "rock, classic rock, sometimes rock" selections that we have in this area. I found the comedy channels to be refreshing.

Sarah's been listening to mainly Christian and Pop stations. She loves it. And I figure if I ever get fed up with the satellite music I'll just pop in an MP3 CD and put it on shuffle. :)

Hmm...My favorite rock stations are Squizz, Music Lab (lots of Dream Theater), and Bone Yard (lots of 80s,but it's the only way I get any VH, Def Leppard, or Aerosmith). Occasionally I like Fred or Lucy, but the first three are in my presets. Once your trial is up and you have to start paying for XM, you're entitiled to their free Internet player.