Meanwhile on the other side of the pond...

we just lost one of the few remainin WWI vets. 113 yrs old.

Goodbye to a hero: World's oldest man WWI veteran Henry Allingham dies aged 113

a generation from a conflict is about to leave us guys. pretty soon we are going to be looking at the last of the WW2 vets.

The things that have gone past this man's eyes would be an amazing tale.

i think i may track his book down.

Amazingly, I remember talking to my Grandfather about Civil War veterans he had met.

The world has become much less conflict oriented since the 1980's...we don't think about the people who fought for our freedom often enough, IMHO...

Chris

we just lost one of the few remainin WWI vets. 113 yrs old.

Goodbye to a hero: World's oldest man WWI veteran Henry Allingham dies aged 113

a generation from a conflict is about to leave us guys. pretty soon we are going to be looking at the last of the WW2 vets.

Yeah, with the passing of Walter Cronkite yesterday I was thinking a lot about my Dad...he was of the same generation...my Dad was in WWII, passed away almost 10 years ago now (Dec '99). A few years ago, I was at the Pearl Harbor Memorial on the 65th anniversary, saw quite a few elderly survivors of the Pearl Harbor there that day, among other WWII veterans..quite poignant.

Rob