2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra

The wife isn't crazy about the Riviera's design, especially the rear, and being a two-door doesn't help either (there's the pesky car seat that my little guy needs to use). So I decided that I should look into finding a 2002-2003 Buick Park Avenue instead. I found four that interest me - (3) 2002 PA's and (1) 2003 PA Ultra. I'm asking about the Ultra.

Here it is:

12447405694.265617223.IM1.05.240x180_A.2

12447405690.265617223.IM1.MAIN.240x180_A

12447405698.265617223.IM1.09.240x180_A.2

2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 51k original miles, fully loaded (HUD, sunroof, chrome rims, leather/heated seats, etc.) and all for the low-low price of $9,499.

My online research indicates that these are a pretty reliabel car and that the 3800 V6 is a great engine to have. Not sure about the supercharged version, but a lot of the owners comments were based on the Ultra (supercharged) models.

So, any advice, input, or opinions on this 2003 PA Ultra???

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I say go for it.

One of my friends is a math teacher (now retired) who always drove Park Avenues.

HE never failed to get at least 250,000 miles out of one of them.

He did have to replace a supercharger on an Ultra and that wasn't cheap.

If you get that and I get a MINI Cooper S or a Cobalt SS/TC we could havea C nd G forced induction club.

NOS, HyperV6, You, me...Get 68 to get a turobdiesel benz, I think other people here own forced induction.

Sounds like a fun club to be in.

Chris

Regarding your question earlier about the supercharger. Just change the S/C oil and you'll be fine. They do like at least mid-level fuel.

The only issue that I've hear about with the G-bodies is an occasional issue with front wheel vibration that isn't solved with a standard rebalance. You sometimes need to have a road force variance test done. It's more expensive but usually solves the issue. People who don't know about it will keep taking it to Goodyear to for a standard rebalance and get frustrated when it doesn't work.

I've heard of it effecting the Riviera, Park Ave, and Aurora. I've never hear of it with the Seville but I don't see any reason it wouldn't be there too.

Thanks for the comments, & insight so far. Does anyone here own a Park Avenue or know anyone personally that does? I know there is a poster here that owns one, but I can't remember his name...

BTW, sorry about all of the posts over the years asking about used cars. I will admit that I have automotive ADD and as a result I change my mind quite often (especially if I see a car in person and I get turned off for any reason). With the new cars & trucks I want being outrageously priced, I'm thinking of going used for the AURA's replacement so I get a decent daily driver, something that is reliable and dependable for the family, and at the same time put some of the cash I'm saving aside for a down-payment for a new vehicle purchase 2-3 years from now.

Anyways, I've always liked the Park Avenue for being a nicely styled car and for the amount of luxury options it offers. The fact it's a large car means it can handle family trip duty without a problem, offering more than enough luggage space and a comfy interior. I benefit now from the poor resale, but hope that wouldn't work against me in the future for any reason (the risk you take with any car/truck purchase).

I'd also like other suggestions from anyone that feels I should be looking at something else too. I'm trying to stay below $10k in price, it must be a GM vehicle, and it should be reliable & dependable. Thanks!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Glad to see that you are doing this GMTG.

I am thinking seriously of going cash only for my future car buys.

Methinks its the only way I'm ever going to get what I want.

Chris

I wish I could pay cash for a car!! Not even used can I do that, let alone new. That's one of the reasons I'm considering going used for my AURA SmartLease replacement. In this case, here's a 6 year old, original MSRP of $40k car that has a ton of life left and is more loaded than any brand new car I can afford. But I have a slight stigma about buying used that I need to overcome first, and this car is 40 miles away from me too so it's not like I can just hope on over to check it out. I need to make a decision on what route I'm going to take and soon.

The selling dealer has included a link to the PA's CARFAX report and it has this tidbit of info on it:

06/10/2003 9,711 Collision Repair Facility, New Jersey

- Vehicle inspected after an accident or other incident Damage to right rear A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional inspector is recommended

I sent an e-mail to the salesperson questioning if they knew what kind of damage was done to teh car and this was her response:

The Deck Lid and Rear Left Quarter Panel was repainted, but he says they did a fantastic job in doing so otherwise we would not have kept the car.

So, would this deter you from checking out the car? If not, what areas of the body should I get inspected?

Even if a minor thing like that caused problems down the road, a bodyshop could sort it out at minimal cost.

I trade electrical work to one bodyshop onwer, and beer to a good painter. I can get things fixed cheap. If you buy this car and run into troubles I can hook you up with a first class re-repair cheap. And I do mean first class.

Doubt you'll have any problems, though. At least it's not like my sister. She bought an Odysea Minivan from a Honda dealer and showed her a clean carfax. What they didn't tell her was that they had done 10K plus in accident repair to the vehicle in their own shop and never reported it.

It was the end of her love affair with Honda.

Hopefully this is the begining of a love affair with Buick for you.

You may want to save $ ahead, because you will have repairs with an older car.

Chris

Well, while I was out today the selling dealership called to let me know that there is an "out-of-state" customer inquiring about the car and they want to know f I'm coming to see it or if I am no longer interested in the car. I'm not sure if this is one of their little sales tactics, but I'm not falling into this kind of trap. I am in no rush to purchase and if they have another customer ready, then by all means don't hold it for me.

While this Buick has definitely caught my interest, I still have four more months of my AURA SmartLease to go. Being that this dealership is over 40 miles away is one reason why I'm not "jumping the gun" to make a move on it. I know more will come along over teh next four months and I'd rather be ready to make a quick deal because that's what I want and not because of some dealer's pressure.

And of course I won't lie and say I'm hesitating on purchasing anything right now - I want to see what the General is going to do with incentives come August 1st. If 0% for 72 months comes back, I want to seriously see what I can get a 2009 Pontiac G8 for :AH-HA_wink:

I'll bet he's just trying out what he learned in Salesman 101. Good that you walked away. Keep an eye on the lot for the next few days and see if the car goes, or even if it moves from where it is now. If it's still there, go back in and lowball him.