Lucerne V.I.P. Premiere Night

GMTruckGuy74

Has anyone else here signed up for the Lucerne V.I.P. Premiere Night that's being held tonight (Tue., Dec. 13th)? Select Buick dealers are holding this event for those who previously registered on Buick's Web site. Strange thing is the Buick dealer right around the corner from me isn't, but I have to drive about 15 miles or so to another dealer. My baby is sick, so I'm not sure if the wife will let me go, but I was wondering how many C&Ger's were going.

My situation was the same - nearest dealer hosting the VIP event was 95 miles away, which is odd since three Buick dealers are between here and there. I contacted the hosting dealer and they said it was a come and go event from 6 to 8 (central time). However, they did not have a Lucerne as one had not arrived yet. They said it was something to do with the rail system. By contrast, my non-hosting local dealer has a platinum CX, sandstone CXL, and crimson red CXS on his lot. He's offered to let me test drive one at my next oil change in March. Is this the sort of coordination for a "premier event" we should expect from Buick? Despite the courteousness of the hosting dealer, I am disappointed and won't be attending after all. R. Allen 2001 Regal LS

Well sooner1, my dealer situation is reversed - my local dealer only has one Lucerne in-stock (Platinum CXL) and the hosting dealer has several, including many CX models, in addition to three CXL's and one CXS (in the showroom, presumably for the VIP event).

While I want to go for the Lucerne showing, my side-agenda is to drive a LaCrosse CXS. I've liked them since they came out last year, but have not had the opportunity (or excuse) to test-drive one. The Pontiac/GMC dealer I bought my Envoy from this summer does not have a Buick store, and the Chevy dealer I use for servicing the Malibu is a Chevy store only. Unfortunately, I "burned the bridge" at two other Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealerships this summer by not purchasing my Envoy from them! :P

Any idea of what to expect at this VIP event?

VenSeattle, which dealer will you be at tonight? I've RSVP'd to Cornforth-Campbell in Puyallup, and hope to make it there in time. I'm in Everett at the moment, and have seen the beautiful CXL displayed at Clyde Revord Motors here. I've also seen three Lucernes about town -- one in Puyallup (on two occasions, but assume it's the same silver car) and two in Everett. Last night, I saw a CXL with the bench seat in Everett. The cars look great, and I agree that color choice will make a big difference to the visual appeal of this car. I'm hoping the Lucerne will confound the "experts" with fantastic sales results!

I actually went to the Lucerne premiere night tonight and I am assuming this would be the thread to post our experiences as well. Well the guy that met us was really nice and friendly. I'm 22 and my brothers 19 and we showed up. I dont think anyone else was there besides the dealers and the people who worked in the shop behind the dealership. They only had a silver CX in the showroom but it was still a nice base vehicle. the seats were cloth and it was a column shifter and the cloth seats looked gaudy. However when I sank in to them they were the most comfortable cloth seats I've ever sat in, and I have been in many-a-cloth seats. Definitely an "A" for comfort with cloth, if it didnt look so cheesy I'd prefer it over the leather. The dealer was very nice and he offered us to test drive a red CXL (V6) around. He said that he hadn't gotten the V8 version of it or the CXS so he apologized we couldn't ride that. However the CXL looked like it had everything but the engine. The ride and the car is wonderful over all. I really believe this is a terrific replacement for the LeSabre. The heated seats, dual climate control, everything was just really nice. And it is really silent inside the car. The 3.8 V6 picks up like a charm at about as fast as any normal person would ever usually go. The attention to detail is most definitely there and I want to see where anyone thinks the Avalon has better materials because they were damn fine materials. The rear parking assist is something I hadn't used before and I used it to turn around and it is very helpful. Overall it was a positive experience and I wish more people would've taken advantage of it. This car is going to sell. It's spectacular.

VenSeattle, which dealer will you be at tonight?

[post="58282"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm RSVP'd at Bellevue Buick-Pontiac-GMC. Last time I was in there, they had a Red CXS in the showroom.

Have they already started on the West Coast? I thought it was at 6:30?

Well, I did get to go to the dealership I RSVP'ed at; however, due to a sick baby at home, a very tired mother, and the other child having to attend an hourlong CCD (religion) class, my time was VERY limited (no test drives of ANYTHING). This dealership, located in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, started the event at 5:00 PM. Outside of the dealership was one of those "Hollywood" light trucks; three Lucerne's lined up for test-drives (with one other on the road); two Lucerne's parked out on the road-front display; and five or six Lucerne's in the showroom. Food included pasta, sandwiches, coffee and various desserts. The dealership was crowded with <older> customers; however, at 30 y-o, I was the youngest person in attendance!!! While many sales staff were entertaining & demonstrating to customers, I attracted the attention of the owner and his wife (maybe they want a younger owner base?). After about 20 minutes of talking and BS'ing, I was offered the opportunity to come back at my convenience to test drive ANY Buick I wanted to at no obligation. While my ultimate gaol tonight was to drive a LaCrosse CXS, time & family constraints made that goal unattainable. The courtesy and attention paid to me by the owner & staff, along with the offer to test drive any time without hassle, has definitely made me a potential customer at this dealership.

Check this car out, it's great!

Buickguy, I hope to, and soon!!! :lol:

The dealer had two Lucernes, both CXS models, one black and one white. They sold the black one today. I sat in the white one. It's nice, but I wouldn't say Lexus nice. I understand what Tanner is saying about the hard, hollow plastic at the bottom of the dash, but it's not uncommon in cars. The trunk is huge. The rear seat is very roomy, with good headroom. The sticker was $40K, with a GMS price of $35.5K. For that price, I would say it's a decent deal, but if I were to get one, I'd wait for rebates. What really concerns me is that a similarly equipped Lexus ES330 has a sticker price of $38K and an invoice price of about $33K. The Lucerne is bigger and has the big V8, but I think the Lexus would be the better buy. I'm struggling with this one.

Just got back from mine.

A few people had dropped by already but several were calling in to see how late they could arrive (stuck in traffic or working late I guess.) They had 3 at the dealership (two in the showroom and one available to test drive.) I was able to test drive the Lucerne CXL V6 & the LaCrosse CXS (at my request) back to back for a full Buick sedan experience.

-----------------

Lucerne CXL V6:

As Croc pointed out in another thread, the Lucerne 3800 V6 feels perfectly fine. There's nothing to be ashamed of with the 3800. Acceleration is smooth and powerful. Quiet tuning keeps the engine at a refined rumble. I had no problems entering the highway or passing other vehicles. I predict nearly all LeSabre owners to be completely satisfied and won over with the Lucerne CX & CXL V6. Interior looked very refined. Yes, the lower side of the dash is hard plastic but it has a low-gloss finish and doesn't sound/feel hollow (to me) when tapping on it. It should suffice and hold up well over the years. The instrumentation in the Lucerne is more “blue” than the traditional “sea-foam green”. It looks nice. The individual instrumentation pods give off a 3-D effect that looks classy. Nice. Backseat room want plentiful and the seats comfortable.

-----------------
LaCrosse CXS:

I never had the chance to drive a LaCrosse before. They had a fully loaded silver CXS w/ebony interior. The ebony interior solves the C&G dubbed "GMCSD" issue with the LaCrosse. Switchgear felt upscale and secure. To me, the plood in the LaCrosse just doesn't look as bad compared to the opinions of others here. Ride is very refined. Very smooth. I'd be perfectly comfortable driving the LaCrosse if that was the price point I was looking in. I'd actually be happy with it anyways. It is a refined vehicle. I didn't sense anything "rental" about the LaCrosse. In the current Malibu, yes... but I just don't see/feel "rental" in the LaCrosse.

-----------------

The dealership decided to leave the LaCrosse warmed up and available for others who may want to try both… which I think is a good idea. Driving both emphasizes Buick’s priorities without speaking a word.

Getting back into the Park Avenue after the test drive, I realized that the LaCrosse & Lucerne are both quieter than my car. The Quiet-Tuning works. Not only is it more successful at blocking road noise and wind noise, it successfully muffles the mechanicals like A/C & engine roar. It makes a big difference when you realize it.

I believe Buick has made a tremendous leap forward with both of these vehicles. They were VERY familiar but still appeared modern & up-to-date with traditional Buick characteristics improved upon (perfected in some ways). I can see younger buyers liking both, while traditional owners will remain satisfied.

As a side note, my dealership stated they've already sold five Lucernes in the past 2 weeks and they have several more on the way.

I enjoyed tonight. :)

The automotive market here in Southeast Florida is saturated with lemming-like individuals who have allowed themselves to be deluded into believing that imports are superior to domestics. Consequently, it was no surprise to see that the Lucerne VIP night at the local Pontiac/Buick GMC dealer was lightly attended. I do not like this dealer, having had an extremely negative experience with the sales department approximately 13 months ago, and snafus with service work. The only reason I set foot there is because the dealership cleaned out the rotten apples that were spoiling the place, although I am uncertain whether buying from them would be different. We became fond of one of the salesman who works there; he sold us the Mercedes Benz wagon that my wife drives. Soon after the sale he left MB and this GM dealer hired him. However, if the front office is still populated by jerks, albiet different ones, I will never be able to buy from them. I am disappointed by the turnout at this event but it is not the dealer's fault, not totally GM's fault and no fault of the product. It is the consumer climate; people make automotive choices based upon the perceptions of others. Then the higher end pays for image . . . I will be one of the consumers who weighs each new product to see whether it is for me, regardless of what these idiots down here think. I, for one, strongly believe that the Lucerne will assure that Buick survives. The materials and design are far superior to the Lacrosse, as we compared the leather in both cars last night. The cashmere leather in the Lucerne looked and felt like soft butter; the leather in the Lacrosse was harder, although still stitched nicely. The Lucerne dash design was head and shoulders above the Lacrosse, althought the latter's dash was not objectionable. Obviously Buick has built further on the Lacrosse with Lucerne, and both cars almost completely fill the void left by the Century, Regal, LeSabre and (to a great extent, but not totally) the Park Avenue.

I went to the Brookdale Buick in Minnesota. They had 4 Lucernes inside, and about 3 outside for test drives. The event was nice. I even won a pair of watches with a MSRP of $299. Also since I attended I get a 12/12000 GMPP. One 1 of the Lucernes, CXS, was sold (pre-sold), but to me of course :-). They had a nice presentation of the event, but the problem is I think they were pushing the 20-40 year old people, versus the senior group that attended the event. Several features including 9 speakers the seniors said why would they want that. The sales said to listen to their classic music better than ever. Also they said there was a plug in that can be used for ipods (in reality anything). I could just see their minds saying, "Whats an IPOD?".

-----------------
LaCrosse CXS:

I never had the chance to drive a LaCrosse before. They had a fully loaded silver CXS w/ebony interior. The ebony interior solves the C&G dubbed "GMCSD" issue with the LaCrosse. Switchgear felt upscale and secure. To me, the plood in the LaCrosse just doesn't look as bad compared to the opinions of others here. Ride is very refined. Very smooth. I'd be perfectly comfortable driving the LaCrosse if that was the price point I was looking in. I'd actually be happy with it anyways. It is a refined vehicle. I didn't sense anything "rental" about the LaCrosse. In the current Malibu, yes... but I just don't see/feel "rental" in the LaCrosse.
-----------------

[post="58495"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

VenSeattle, it's refreshing to read a response like this. Several people here at C&G have dismissed the LaCrosse; I for one have liked the looks since day one (although I will admit it took a while to come to terms with the headlight design). I'm disappointed by the fact I didn't have the time to test drive the LaCrosse CXS that my dealer had, but I'll be back (and maybe sooner than I thought thanks to you!).

:) We'll I wish I had read this thread earlier, I would have loved to meet you VenSeattle. I too was at the bellevue one later due to working late. Both vehicle are nice, very quite. While they are leaps ahead of the auto's they replace, I still felt they lacked American Greatness. Guess at 6'6" 270 pounds, an Auto needs to handle me in both the front and back. Both car's had similar issues, set the front seat for me and then when you get out and go to the back seat, it is a tight leg squeeze. Also, due to the way the roof line curves down, I have to sit with my head tilted forward or slouch in the chair. American Sedans used to offer great body space. The 300 sedan does this well and so does the charger. Other than the space issues, I thought it was a very quite and solid car. Will be interested in watching the reliability of these babies for the next few years. :)