F I B E R O P T I C S

Name a GM car from the late 70s that used fiber optics and explain where/how.

deVilles had them earlier- '77-79 (as you know Sixty8). I am wondering how much earlier these came out tho- I think the Seville had at least tail light monitors in '76...

[post="67877"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes indeed and it was the first use of fibre-optics on a production car. Just a silly footnote in history that will no doubt be claimed by Lexus thirty years from now.

Damn it I think you;re right about that. I could have sworn I read the late 70s Cadillacs were the first to use fibreoptics.

Ahhh yes: apparently the Corvette first offered fiberoptic monitoring lights '68-71. I see no mention of them in my 1970 Cadillac full-line brochure. EDIT: I found online reference to (non-Corvette) Chevrolets having them in '69, Buicks in '72 and Cadillacs in '73, but there was nothing stated that implied this was the first years for this... Edited by balthazar

Another car from the early seventies used Fibre optics as well. Can you guess it (not a Vette) .

CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO!

And, how do I know this?

One of my buddies from the First Gen MC Club (Rob near Pittsburgh PA) has a 1970 Monte Carlo that has 'em ... FROM THE FACTORY!

*grins*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"It's not the car I want" ... George Jones ... 'The Corvette Song'

Cort you're right!

That's something you don't see/read/hear often ;).

My buddy has it in his 70 SS . Pretty neat too!

Holy crap is it ever! When I saw that on Rob's car the first time I saw his car, I was awed....it is an awesome set up.

BTW, mrmonte, you didn't participate in the Knight's Challenge? You should've ;).

I love the trivia threads. Always somethign new to learn.

That's something you don't see/read/hear often ;).

My buddy has it in his 70 SS . Pretty neat too!

Holy crap is it ever! When I saw that on Rob's car the first time I saw his car, I was awed....it is an awesome set up.
BTW, mrmonte, you didn't participate in the Knight's Challenge? You should've ;).

[post="73179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I saw it on the showcase-you know, I will next time . I takes me a long time to type and I lose my patience.

[quote name='mrmonte' date='Jan 14 2006, 10:38 PM']

[post="73179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]
I saw it on the showcase-you know, I will next time . I takes me a long time to type and I lose my patience.[/quote]

*raises eyebrow*

Saw what on what showcase? Sorry ... maybe lack of sleep is catching up to me, bud, but I didn't follow that statement at all ... and I take full responsibility for that.

And, I hear you about taking a long time to type. Keep in mind, you don't have to send all of the answers at once ;). Well, keep that in mind for next time, alrighty? :)

*lightbulb goes on* OH MY GOODNESS! mrmonte, the "showcase" you mean is the 73to77 abody yahoo group, right?! Holy crapola ... I didn't realize that you are "monteguy" over there ... heh. THAT explains your "cryptive" post today, doesn't it?!?!?! *chuckles* I am VERY sorry I didn't make the connection!