Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Volt Chief Frank Weber Going to Opel

GXT

This is the second big Volt defection in the recent past... but this one is much more significant. As Lyle writes, "He is the German-born engineer with the job of Volt vehicle line executive, making him as the leader of the Volt program, reporting to the VP level.".

http://gm-volt.com/2009/10/30/volt-chief-f...-going-to-opel/

Why anyone would leave the Volt program to work at Opel is beyond me. Hopefully he is just trying to get back to be with friends and family.

Here is the Turth About Car's update, which is a little less optimistic than Lyle's:

"And as a second executive abandons GM’s EREV moonshot, it seems pretty clear that the program has major shortcomings that execs don’t want to be associated with. After all, New Opel is hardly a sure thing itself."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/volt-birt...71-weber-bails/

There's plenty to consider when news such as this is announced not just the initial rats are bailing the ship reaction. People with this expertise and high level association are surely in demand and the knowledge and experience they possess would be welcome in greener pastures. For a price of course or a promotional position. :rolleyes: Or then there's perhaps they were not meeting expectations and there are others in line more capable to succeed.

I must admit I have not been keeping close tabs on the progress of the lofty goals of the Volt but I am willing to give a little leeway with this one. They call the Volt a moonshot and it is but if I remember history correctly, and not just the parts I choose to, GM did help the US get to the moon at least once. Why not once more?

Edited by FloydHendershot

This is the second big Volt defection in the recent past... but this one is much more significant. As Lyle writes, "He is the German-born engineer with the job of Volt vehicle line executive, making him as the leader of the Volt program, reporting to the VP level.".

http://gm-volt.com/2009/10/30/volt-chief-f...-going-to-opel/

Why anyone would leave the Volt program to work at Opel is beyond me. Hopefully he is just trying to get back to be with friends and family.

Here is the Turth About Car's update, which is a little less optimistic than Lyle's:

"And as a second executive abandons GM’s EREV moonshot, it seems pretty clear that the program has major shortcomings that execs don’t want to be associated with. After all, New Opel is hardly a sure thing itself."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/volt-birt...71-weber-bails/

Hmmmm, I can think of many reasons why Frank Weber went to Opel ...

. . . Here is the Turth About Car's update . . .

Whether spelled "Turth" :neenerneener: or "Truth About Cars," I wouldn't look to them for anything but negativity about GM. They seem to twist around even the most positive news about GM into something else. Run from them... fast!

Hmm, the plot thickens. Makes me wonder if GM is going to let Opel go after all, no? :scratchchin:

Whether spelled "Turth" :neenerneener: or "Truth About Cars," I wouldn't look to them for anything but negativity about GM. They seem to twist around even the most positive news about GM into something else. Run from them... fast!

Whoops....

I think they put the most controversial spin on any news, regardless of automaker (a fine counter-point to the overly positive Lyle). But that doesn't mean they are "wrong". That we haven't seen the generator in action adds some fuel to this fire.

Anyone who has read about Frank and quotes from Frank over the past few years knows that this had to be a VERY hard decision for him.