Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The automobile in 21st century

Well we can argue over FWD/RWD, V8/V6. We can discuss wheel base or overall lenght. We can cry for more power, larger wheels and more elaborate interiors but what is the reality of the automobiles future? Yes, you guessed it, this is a oil price and availability drivin question. So what do we really need now that its going to cost 3 bucks for every 20-26 miles and talks that within a few years it will be 5 bucks. Is it time to bring back the big block V8 ? Body on frame, 225 inch long cars ? Most of us here are car freaks, so off course we want more, more, more but what is the reality ? For the first time in over a decade Im starting to wish I had the old VW diesel back or that silly 3 cylinder Chevy Sprint my wife had when we met. those cars were undrer 2000 lb. and were high 30's and even into the 40 mpg on highway cruises. Anyhow, as far as automobile manufacturer Im thinking the company that knocks this hybrid or alternative fuel transportation devise dead is going to be the winner. Any thoughts ?

Stuff gets more expensive so we need to combat it with better technology. The lightest cars possible that can hold the most room are what we need. Like the small hatchbacks they have in Europe. I4s are good enough. Same with FWD. Everything car enthusiasts hate is what we need.

Everything car enthusiasts hate is what we need.

*nods*

Yeah, I agree with this, more or less.

But, I'd bet that if GM/Chevrolet brought the Camaro back in FWD fashion, there would be a bunch of unhappy enthusiasts....

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"Someday tomorrow will smile" ... Oak Ridge Boys ... 'Dream On'

I want whatever the market and my wallet will withstand. Meaning no matter what, I want a car or truck that is exciting to look at, sit in and drive. Of course I want rwd, V8 power, pillarless hardtop coupe with excellent handling characteristics and white interior. Is that too much to ask?

Honestly, i dont think that autos will ever exist without cars that appeal to auto enthusiasts but i agree with the whole hybrid thing and i see that fuel economy will be a huge prob coupes like the G35 with a i4 and v6s in the more expensive muscle cars sedans like the lucerne with a v6, i6, or i4 wagons like the magnum but with an i4 and six seats two benches trucks like the ridgeline with an i4 to i6 no vans, few suvs hopefully theyll have a decent i5, thatll be big if they do i think, hope i dont think we will see many V8 cars that arent highly priced or any cars at all that arent mega fuel efficient or hybrids i think we should make this a side design comp, longstanding, show what cars we need in the upcoming future Edited by mute

I believe that DOD may be the answer to some of these questions. Hybrids are another option but what happens when the batteries need replacing?

I think there will still be a market for RWD V8 cars even into the future. Like NOS said, we will combat it with technology. I do think in the near future that cars will stop growing in size and possibly shrink a little as gas prices continue to rise like downsizing that happened around 1977/78. What kills me about the whole gas situation is that there may come a day when it is economically unfeasible to own a 20th century car. I hope to someday drive around in a "classic" G-body Cutlass 442 or Grand National, but if there really is an oil shortage in the future, all the classic muscle around the country will become heaps of metal rusting in fields. You people that grew up in the 70s and 80s are lucky to have been around when the oil crisis wasn't as "real." It's sad, but the traditional American car looks to be going extinct. I hope hydrogen technology improves so we can start producing fuel cell cars, but until then things could get kinda hairy if gas prices continue to rise.

Stuff gets more expensive so we need to combat it with better technology. The lightest cars possible that can hold the most room are what we need. Like the small hatchbacks they have in Europe. I4s are good enough. Same with FWD. Everything car enthusiasts hate is what we need.

[post="5288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:withstupid:

Small european hatchbacks, I4s, and FWD are all fine with me regardless of what is needed, however. Just as long as they don't sound like vacuum sweepers and aren't ugly.

Anyways, better technology and such will help as mentioned. Some examples are DOD, lighter constuction, sleeker design, fuel-cell tech., and of course gas/electric hybrid systems. I still think this will all lead to the demise of the SUV. Not totally, but they will have a much, much smaller market compared to now. Well, I hope, anyways as I hate SUVs.

There will still be a market for trucks; however, their popularity might falter for more practical needs. Mid-sized trucks might soon become more popular choices once more. You certainly see more of them in European and third-world countries.

Cars will have only seen a dramatic change in view in the US, as in Canada, the market is already large, and continues to grow. Mid-sized cars like the W-body are likely to be the biggest they'll come, with better technology to bring about weight savings, perhaps finding its way into the sub-3,000 lb. region. Engine efficiency in all aspects is paramount to making the entire process worth it, transmissions would be second. I suppose if enough of a crisis ensued, more people will be inclined to selecting manual transmissions.

I won't even touch my view of the sports car arena. RWD and V8s in an area where emphasis is placed on performance will only mean these cars are likely to become an even smaller niche market; or at least, only available as elite-status cars, considering what some will have to pay to fuel and insure them.

In the end, I think the biggest change will be with the people themselves. The US is driven by a market of excess that will be the most difficult to change. The odd thing is, during the 70's and 80's, people were mostly concerned about fuel efficiency; whereas, today, people are more concerned only with why the price is so high, and not what can be done to work around the problem. Certainly, requiring less demand on the resource is a huge factor; this means smaller, more efficient and economical vehicles.

It's hardly a sacrifice, but a reality, that the days of cheap fuel-and-go SUVs, trucks and vans is coming to an end.

Mid-sized cars like the W-body are likely to be the biggest they'll come, with better technology to bring about weight savings, perhaps finding its way into the sub-3,000 lb. region.

The idea of much lighter cars is a great solution, but it'll be damned difficult to greatly reduce weight when people are continually whining for sunroofs & NAV screens.

We need a 'minimalist' car or we'll NEVER see the south side of 3000 lbs (unless it's as deadly small as a smart). The King Midget (yea; about the size of a smart) would get up to 93 MPG... but it only weighed about 700 lbs. A '65 Corvair weighs about 2600 lbs, can we approach that again in that size vehicle?? I dunno...

The idea of much lighter cars is a great solution, but it'll be damned difficult to greatly reduce weight when people are continually whining for sunroofs & NAV screens.

We need a 'minimalist' car or we'll NEVER see the south side of 3000 lbs (unless it's as deadly small as a smart). The King Midget (yea; about the size of a smart) would get up to 93 MPG... but it only weighed about 700 lbs. A '65 Corvair weighs about 2600 lbs, can we approach that again in that size vehicle?? I dunno...

[post="6423"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not with air bags comming out from every corner, NAV screens so morons dont get lost, steel wasteing high belt lines, steel wasting Kenworth grills and front clips, increasing safety safety safety, - hey we have no predator it might as well be the automobile :P , high hoods so idiots whos mamma didnt teach them to look both ways before crossing the road just become a quad instead of dead, yea that was harsh but- dilligaf, then we have to have all wheel drive, going from memory the A8 is aluminum body and nearly everything else but still weighs in over 4000lb :blink:

driving is a huge risk increasing the weight of the automobile instead of making sure everyone knows how to drive and enforceing it is not the answer, thats like turning to PU's because their safer. Whats the next step ? Kenworths and Macks?

They've already been adapted for mainstream use. Just take a look at Ashton Kutcher and that behemoth quad-cab monster he drives around and see where success only affords excess. That's part of our problem as a society, that people are unable to let go of the bits and pieces that gets them that much closer to the glory of being elitists. Their obsession continues the demand for what we'll never see leave future cars.