So is Korea Stealing Japan's Thunder?

So is Korea stealing Japans thunder in terms of cars? Woman who works in the insurance agency down the street from us at work bought a new Genesis Coupe and had it parked out front when I went by on my way home.

It is, IMHO, a much nicer car than anything Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, or Nissan are building. Shoot me if you will...but I would gladly take the keys to this over a 370 Z.

Got a good look at it...much better fit and finish than what I'm seeing from HONDA or Toyota...and not a terrible looking car, although it's no Camaro or GTI or C30 Volvo or anything...

But it is IMHO a MUCH better effort than say the Accord Coupe or the Camry.

So what is it boys (and girls)...is Korea moving ahead of the Japanese or not?

Interested in your opinions.

Chris

I share your opinion. So many different vehicles out of Korea are either vastly well appointed for best-value, or just superior in build quality and overall engineering on a variety of levels. If the world were made up of practical people, Korean cars would be selling in far greater numbers. IMHO, what holds them back is this stupid thing called, 'perception'.

I would be surprised if there was a great measurable quantity of those willing to consider a japanese brand yet UNwilling to consider a korean one. In my observation, they are interchangable to a greater degree than any other 2.

Haven't inspected many hyundai-kias, except the genesis, but saw a brand new accent on the road a few days ago and boy-o is it hideous & cheap-looking.

But to answer the opening question, yes; I see the korean brands eating into the japanese brands market, esp with the perception tailspin toyoyo is in. Question for me is, do they also eat into the domestics (how can the answer not be 'yes') ?

Hyundai should be lauded for their effort. I like the 370, but I don't like its bathtub feel and lack of rear seat. So that automatically puts the Gen coupe ahead of it for me. When i sat in one, I did applaud the interior in terms of creating a nice environment and driver's cabin. the rear seats are not bad. The assembly quality is good. However, I felt the plastics were not quite there yet, and the detail elements of the design were bland.

On the whole, the exterior is derivitive to me, and lacks sizzle. But for someone who grew up on rice like say, a Prelude, its a nice evolution of the Japanese bland design language.

If you like a G37 and can't afford it, you get the Genesis. Most definitely over an Altima or Accord coupe.

But............would you seriously spend the money on a Gen coupe when you could have a v6 Camaro or 2010 v6 Mustang?

To me, that is the ultimate question. If you want visual sizzle with the steak, you pass on the Gen coupe.

Now to actually answer your question, does this surpass Japan? UM YEAH!

In many regards, Hyundai and Kia and out Japaning Japan, and its cool to see. No wonder Ford is dumping Mazda. The Japanese mystique (no pun) is gone.

Your question only makes the RIck's acquisition of Daewoo even more golden.

If you were a Toyota Supra driver from the mid nineties, I think the Gen coupe is what I sort of gather it most comparable too. IN that regard, 10-15 years later to make approximately the same car, doesn't seem like so much of an accomplishment.

I think the 2010 Mustang v6 is going to demolish the numbers of the 3.8 Gen coupe.

>>"altima is FWD. G37 is RWD"<<

Ahh yes. Hard to remember when viewing them.

Altima, G37...more important things to remember, like the exact shade of blue on my lint screen in my clothes dryer.

Chris