Help! e-mail troubles

Camino LS6

I'm having the strangest problem with my e-mail, here are the symptoms:

- e-mails from friends and family are not showing up at all

- I can't get emails through Outlook, but can access my acct through the provider's server

- My own test e-mails to myself go through (but not to outlook)

- a test e-mail from my provider goes through (but not to Outlook)

- Now, here's the strange one. I responded to an e-mail about the jag on Craigslist and the responses from that person make me think scam. But, their e-mails go through to the provider's server!

Has my e-mail been hijacked?!!

God this is weird.

I can send a test message to myself through the provider's server and get it. But, anything I send via Outlook just disappears to nowhere, never shows up on my provider's server and I get no error message. Meanwhile, nothing comes in through Outlook at all.

I blocked the suspect e-mail address and changed the password to my e-mail, but nothing is changing.

It's possible the SMTP or POP address w/ your ISP has changed or been corrupted on your machine. I'd verify in Outlook the settings are what they should be, or call customer support at the ISP.

I've already done both, and now they are gone for the holiday.

All of the settings seem right.

Check your antivirus program if you have one. Sometimes the mail scanner/spam protector/etc. gets in the way causing either a timeout or very long response time. Disable the whole thing temporarily and see if that allows the messages to go through. if that's the case, go into the AV program and turn off whatever mail protection is turned on. I never install that anyway - needless waste of resources.

What version do you have Camino? I was giving you directions for a 2007. Do you want to call me and I will talk you through it to see if it can be fixed?

Version of Outlook?

Whatever came with XP when it was new, I guess.

I finally found a "detect and repair" button to click, but it then wanted me to insert the MS Office disk - which I did. Lots of noise and progress screens, but no result.

Z could be right about my antivirus, it's a big,invasive, monster.

I may try disabling it.