Some Easy Automotive Trivia

EASY

Which came first: the Ford Model A or the Ford Model T?

What does ALFA (as in Alfa Romeo) stand for?

Where does the Romeo (as in Alfa Romeo) come from?

Where did the name Mercedes come from?

The Japanese are known for their American transplant operations, but they weren't the first to do this. Where in the United States did Rolls-Royce build cars?

Mercedes built cars in the United States (decades before Mercedes-Benz set up shop in Alabama). Who built cars for Mercedes in the States and where were they built?

I've got more for later.

The daugther of one of the distributors. I believe this also helped avoid legal problems because the Daimler name was used for other vehicles overseas?

The Japanese are known for their American transplant operations, but they weren't the first to do this. Where in the United States did Rolls-Royce build cars?

Massachusetts or New York.

EASY

T

What does ALFA (as in Alfa Romeo) stand for?

I know this but right noew I'm a bit :alcoholic:

Where does the Romeo (as in Alfa Romeo) come from?

girl (daughtetr) of a famous race driver /rich guy who had cars butilt custom by daimler benz

massachusetts... my hoe state

Mercedes built cars in the United States (decades before Mercedes-Benz set up shop in Alabama). Who built cars for Mercedes in the States and where were they built?

what? again: :alcoholic:

I've got more for later.

The daugther of one of the distributors. I believe this also helped avoid legal problems because the Daimler name was used for other vehicles overseas?

Fly I believe Mercedes was Mr. Benz's daughter.

No, Flybrian was right. Benz had nothing to do with Daimler when they changed the name of their products to Mercedes. But the Daimler name was used in other markets under license from Daimler of Germany.

Sixty: Daimler-Benz didn't exist until 1926 and Daimler started using the Mercedes name in 1901.

Massachusetts or New York.

It was Massachusetts...Springfield. The plant is now a warehouse. Edited by Hudson

I seem to recall that the pre- mass production Ford was called the "A" which was also later used as the designation for the "T" replacement. So "A" came before and after "T"

Ford's first product was the Model A...the Model T followed after a number of other models (B through S) and five years. And everyone remembers the "famous" Model A that replaced the Model T in 1927. Edited by Hudson

Fly I believe Mercedes was Mr. Benz's daughter.

Actually, the Mercedes car was named after the daughter of a client of a Mr. Deimler.

and if i remember correctly he admired the girl because she was so beautiful and wanted everyone to remember her because she was so beautiful

New questions, they're getting tougher:

What was the first car to use the "H-pattern" gear shift?

Name a post-war American-built four-wheeled passenger car that had only one drive wheel.

Of the current major ("Big 3") American brands, which one can be directly traced back to a carriage builder?

What American automobile company can trace its history back the farthest (total years in existence as a company, not necessarily building cars)?

What American automobile company began by building aircraft engines?

What company designed the earliest incarnation of the Jeep?

What two (current) American automobile brands were named for real men who never saw a working automobile?

For a time in the late 1950s and early 1960s, an American car company was the official importer for Mercedes-Benz. Who was it?

The late, great Larry Shinoda worked for a car company (no longer in existence) before he worked on the Corvette. What was the car company?

After Ed Cole worked for GM (you know, the guy who designed the Chevrolet V8 engine), he went to work for another American company. He died during his employment with that company. What was the company?

Packard

Name a post-war American-built four-wheeled passenger car that had only one drive wheel.

King Midget

Of the current major ("Big 3") American brands, which one can be directly traced back to a carriage builder?

Good one. GMC

What American automobile company can trace its history back the farthest (total years in existence as a company, not necessarily building cars)?

Studebaker

Lincoln

American Bantam

What two (current) American automobile brands were named for real men who never saw a working automobile?

Pontiac, Lincoln

For a time in the late 1950s and early 1960s, an American car company was the official importer for Mercedes-Benz. Who was it?

Studebaker

The late, great Larry Shinoda worked for a car company (no longer in existence) before he worked on the Corvette. What was the car company?

Packard

After Ed Cole worked for GM (you know, the guy who designed the Chevrolet V8 engine), he went to work for another American company. He died during his employment with that company. What was the company?

Checker

Edited by balthazar

When I saw the first answer, I thought you had me (and had read these questions when I previously published them six years ago. But then...

Good one. GMC

Not "directly." Not the brand I had in mind.

Studebaker

That's one of two. After a discussion, there are two companies who's incorporation dates are in debate...but Studebaker was the one I had originally.

Pontiac, Lincoln

I don't believe that the Pontiac brand was named directly for the person, but more for the town (which took his name). I'll give it to you and Nick, but there's another.

Cadillac

well the dymaxion was pre-war so I'm clueless

Daimler-Chrysler (Dodge Brothers)

Studebaker.... they celebrated their 100th anniversary in like 1954

Packard?

Ford (if you mean the GP)

Cadillac & Lincoln

Packard-baker :AH-HA_wink:

guessing... Cord?

Ford

Edited by Sixty8panther

Sixty8:

You were three for ten...including guesses. As you've already been slapped on the wrists for the "H-pattern" answer...

Dodge Brothers was founded as a car company, after they left Ford.

Studebaker is one of the TWO companies in the running for the "longest-lived" company.

Packard was founded as a car maker.

American Bantam was mentioned above as the designer of the Jeep.

You did get the two people who had cars named for them and never saw a car.

And Studebaker-Packard was the importer for Mercedes-Benz cars.

Hudson : When I saw the first answer, I thought you had me (and had read these questions when I previously published them six years ago.

Nope- never saw this list of question before. But I am currently reading the AQ Packard book. ;)

Not "directly." Not the brand I had in mind.

OK, but: GMC> Rapid> Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works; there is lineage there.

Were you looking for: Buick, bought by the Flint Wagon Works in 1903?

That's one of two. After a discussion, there are two companies who's incorporation dates are in debate...but Studebaker was the one I had originally.

114 years~

Studebaker: 1852-1966

Oldsmobile: 1890-2004

Looking forward to the 'incorporation date debate' specifics.

I don't believe that the Pontiac brand was named directly for the person, but more for the town (which took his name). I'll give it to you and Nick, but there's another.

Oh (duh)- Cadillac.

114 years~

Studebaker: 1852-1966

Oldsmobile: 1890-2004

Looking forward to the 'incorporation date debate' specifics.

Oldsmobile was founded in 1897 and disbanded in 2004, but Studebaker is still in business, just not making cars...and there's another current company that's just about (not sure on the specific launch dates) as old as Studebaker.

Oh (duh)- Cadillac.

I'm going to forgive you this time...I expected more of you.

Olds Motor Vehicle Company was founded in 1897.

Olds Gasoline Engine Works was organized in 1890.

In turn, I forgive you. ;)

Appreciate your high expectations. From memory- I am currently drawing a blank but I will mull this over during the day today, hopefully rendering direct research tonight unneccessary...