Cadillac CTS square thingy on back bumper

HAHA, how do you like that topic title? I have been checking out 1st gen Cadillac CTS's lately, and I have noticed a little square on the rear bumper (about 2" by 2"), and I was wondering if anyone knew what that was. I have seen them on several different cars lately and was just curious. It is not a rear parking assist sensor. I am going to attach this pic that I found on the internet, but I"m not sure if I'm legally allowed to. I guess if my computer does blow up on me, I"m good!? It is on the right side of the bumper, just above the exhaust pipe. It really doesn't matter to me, but I see them all the time and have always wondered what they are.

While we are talking about it, thinking of purchasing a 06-07 CTS, anyone have any experience with them? what are your thoughts/opinions?

THanks for the help!

post-10174-12680945179141.jpg

HAHA, how do you like that topic title? I have been checking out 1st gen Cadillac CTS's lately, and I have noticed a little square on the rear bumper (about 2" by 2"), and I was wondering if anyone knew what that was. I have seen them on several different cars lately and was just curious. It is not a rear parking assist sensor. I am going to attach this pic that I found on the internet, but I"m not sure if I'm legally allowed to. I guess if my computer does blow up on me, I"m good!? It is on the right side of the bumper, just above the exhaust pipe. It really doesn't matter to me, but I see them all the time and have always wondered what they are.

While we are talking about it, thinking of purchasing a 06-07 CTS, anyone have any experience with them? what are your thoughts/opinions?

THanks for the help!

That is the cover for the tow hook or shipping tie-down hook, I think. Should be one on the front bumper also.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yup, there should be a tow hook in with the jack, it will be a rod, threaded at one end to screw into a threaded insert behind that square, with a loop at the other end for towing the car out of a ditch, etc.

gee, I wish the Chrysler 300 had one of those. Turns out those don't climb mountains well in 20" of snow!!! I guess I should have known better then to take the 300 to VT during a huge snow storm. I couldn't find anything to attach a tow line to when I tried to tow it up to the house. Thanks for the info!

I've wondered this for a long time and suspected such a use.

How does the square come out? Prying? I would think that would damage the paint.

Maybe a squarepusher or special tool to pop it off. The one on the front bumper of one of my sister's old Mercedes is missing.

Well there's usually a slot for a screwdriver to fit in there and pry it out. Most of them have a little tether so they don't get lost. Care has to be taken when prying them out to avoid damage.