Musicians Chat Here

mjdecker

Follow up to the highjacked pickup thread.. so how many people here are musicians?

I've been playing guitar since 9th grade just after i turned 16 so i've been playing for about 7 years (a vew lessons here and there but never fully schooled).

I started to pick up drums about two years ago since two of my coworkers play drums (among other insruments/vocals).

Well here's the majority of my stuff:

Posted Image

Drums: Pearl Forum

Accoustic: Alvarez Dreadnought - My dad bougth in 1979 and I got it as a graduation gift (even though I was playing it daily). I have since had some work done on to it. lower bridge for better action, straighted neck, new tunes, bone piece on the bridge to replace the crappy plastic piece. and a few other thing that's escaped my mind.

Center Electric: Kramer Focus 2000 - I got it one xmas a few years ago, this one too has had some work done on it. Replaced the Floyd Rose bridge and locked the the new bridge down so no whammy bar is needed, the new bridge was lower that gave some amazing action.. (four or five sheets of paper might be able to go under neight the strings), The neck was straighted out too.

Right Electric: Jay Turser (les paul knock off) - I have always loved les pauls and this paint scheme with gold hardware is how I'd love to have mine. I saw this off an ebay auction and immediately bought it. It came shipped in a cardboard box that for a while I used as a case. I had looked for a hardshell case, took the guitar to a music store and they tried out a few lespaul cases but none fit since the bridge was too high and the body wasn't the exact shape, and I wanted a formed hardshell case. The guitar played pretty decent for rhythem but compared to my kramer, soloing was not as smooth. not to mention the action is pretty horriable. One time I'm at my aunt's house and I had brought the guitar (still using that cardboard box as a case) and when I'm returning to my car to put the guitar back, the box rips and the guitar hit the pavement. The plastic piece at the top of the neck was chipped and some frets were loosened so when ever I strum sometimes the high e string gets stuck. Shortly after that I bought the bullet and got a hard shell case for it. Now I'm regretting getting it but right now I'm debating if I should have it repaired and sell it and get an Ovation 12 string I've been wanting for a while, or have it repaird and some more work into it so it's a bit more playable (but it's no Gibson).

And then on the bottom I have my Fostex 8 track recorder, toneworks multieffects pedal, and a dan electro wah pedal (CRAP!)

Alright.. post your equipment.. or just talk about random music talk.

I guess I'll respond first, even though I'm not much of a musician. My talents include being able to play the bassline to "Money" and a couple other random songs and the drum part to just about any AC/DC song. I also played trombone in middle school. (No Satty, not a rusty one.)

I do have a bass, I'll try to get a pic or two of it soon.

Well... I want to play drums. I just never had the money nor the ambition to get myself a set. Someday I will. I just have a natural love to drum on things while keeping a rythm (sp? lol). Then again, though, I probably wouldn't be talented at it. I mean... I like to sing, but I could easily qualify for one of those nutjobs on American Idol who sound terrible. :lol::D

I play basic piano...and I just dropped my intro to pop/rock guitar class today (long story, but it was a beginner's course with very few actual beginners in it, and therefore a real beginner like me got left very far behind...too discouraging)

I prefer electronic-type instruments. I've always wanted a Clavinova as long as I can remember...

Edited by Croc

Well, I've only been trying to get a band together forever. All we need is another guitarist. Mix black/death metal with tech metal and progressive rock as well as metalcore (there's too many subgenres these days) and you get more of an idea of what we sound like. Our name is Art Of Convulsion. We hope to record a demo in the next few months. I play drums on my beat up 1988 Tama Rockstars.

Hope you like double bass...

Posted Image

OR

Posted Image

?

Because honestly, if I ever saw a metal band with an upright bass, I'd buy their album, regardless of their talent.

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Why am I up at 7:30? Stupid cold medicine, it's been doing very strange things to my sleep schedule.

Edited by Enzora

I ain't no musician, ever since I went back to Hong Kong for high school. Too much work there for me to have anything other than school work.

When I was a kid, I was part of a children's choir, and played the violin.

All because of Hong Kong families, my parents always try to force me to learn something musical back then... It was just a trend.

Hey, that Kramer looks alot like mine as far as the body that is. Is the body like a mildly modified Strat ? Leaned down a bit. Just a little nicer than a Strat in my opinion but not as radical as many other double cutaways. Im not sure what model mine is, the nut cover has been off for years. Its got a single coil neck pickup & double bridge : Seymore Duncans & Floyd Rose, also the machinehead is 80's metal style, down and pointed - Black and I added Red Strat knobs to it, very sinister!

dont play much anymo Im sad to say. No excuses just frustration. In fact its been 10 years since Ive played enough to create anything, I was never much on playing others music.

My musical gear is as follows:

Guitar - Ibanez Jet King 1 (or JTK1):

Posted Image

Pretty basic guitar with a some retro styling cues and interesting features thrown in. For example: Those little rocker switches up by the neck pickup are used to switch the pickups from humbuckers to single-coils and back. The pickups themselves are nothing special, but I like the way it sounds with the neck on single-coil and the bridge on humbucker. The neck is typical Ibanez: 25.5 inch scale, thin and flat. The bridge is also a typical, Gibson-style fixed bridge, though the big metal tailpiece is pretty cool; I often rest my palm against it when picking, then simply slide my hand up the strings if I need to do a palm mute. Lastly, though you can't see it very well here, the headstock resembles the PRS headstock, and the tuning machines are snot green, like some Gibsons. All-in-all, it's been about the perfect guitar for me to learn on, but I'll definetely be looking for something more advanced when/if I get better. Maybe an Ibanez S or SA Series, or a Fender Showmaster.

Amplifier - Behringer GMX212:

Posted Image

I bought this off eBay for $300 CDN... a pittance compared to how much you'd spend for similar performance in most any other brand-new amp. It has two 12-inch speakers, so, yeah, it'll get really loud; apparently, at vol & level 5, you can hear it from outside my house. It also has 99 digital effects built in, though many of them are simply variations on a theme (for example, there are over a dozen different types of delay), and, to be honest, many of them just don't sound as good as a real stompbox. Nevertheless, it has enough sheer power to keep it useful for a good long while yet, and, even if I got a better amp somewhere down the road, I could always use this one as an extension cabinet. All I need to do for now is find some pedals to plug into it... specifically, a Digitech DigiVerb and a Boss MT-2. But, first, I better find some money...

Guitar player here. I started out playing my dad's old 1970s Yamaha acoustic guitar and a couple summers ago bought a $300 Squire Stratocaster. I don't have a whole lot of time to practice, so I'm still pretty mediocre, but I have been getting better.

Last night I discovered this cool video of a quad neck guitar. The guy playing is Michael Angelo Batio in the 80s band Nitro, and while he's a great technical guitarist, he's kind of repetitive IMO...especially toward the end of this solo. Definitely a showman though. Warning: cheesy metal ahead.

Quad Guitar