Question for Roger and his Envoy

Roger,

Thinking about picking up a used Envoy - only if it can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back with the tailgate closed or even sticking out through the glass hatch. Do you know if the Envoy can swallow that? Can you fit something 4 foot wide in the back? Or does anybody have a pic of an Envoy with lumber in the back? Maybe from a GM press pic?

My 94 Blazer took me for a ride this morning on RT18 when the front breakline gave out and needed to get towed home. Thinking about getting rid of the Blazer and my 2006 Malibu MAXX SS for a used Envoy. Rather an Avalanche or Tahoe but can't really afford the price on a low mileage truck like the Envoy is. If the Envoy can do what I need it to around the house (like have room for plywood/sheetrock and other things then it could be a good match.

Thanks for any help,

Walt

Roger,

Thinking about picking up a used Envoy - only if it can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back with the tailgate closed or even sticking out through the glass hatch. Do you know if the Envoy can swallow that? Can you fit something 4 foot wide in the back? Or does anybody have a pic of an Envoy with lumber in the back? Maybe from a GM press pic?

My 94 Blazer took me for a ride this morning on RT18 when the front breakline gave out and needed to get towed home. Thinking about getting rid of the Blazer and my 2006 Malibu MAXX SS for a used Envoy. Rather an Avalanche or Tahoe but can't really afford the price on a low mileage truck like the Envoy is. If the Envoy can do what I need it to around the house (like have room for plywood/sheetrock and other things then it could be a good match.

Thanks for any help,

Walt

The gas mileage on my Tahoe is 1 mpg less than I got with my Bravada. I also get to run alternative fuel in the Tahoe which allows me to buy it for 25% plus get an additional $0.50 tax credit per gallon. Before you buy, try both (Tahoe & Blazer) and use the electronic gas mileage tracker to see what each gets. I also understand, from the service guys at the Chevy dealer, that the Tahoe has less issues than the Blazers.

When I said "low mileage" I meant in odometer ratings not fuel consumption. I would much rather have an Avalanche, but a 30,000 mile Envoy Denali is $7-10,000 cheaper than a similar mileage Avalanche. Don't really care about gas mileage - more so keeping the payments down.

Walt,

Here is your answer:

Envoy XUV - gate must be down for 4x8 sheet.

Interestingly, my previous vehicle was a '95 Roadmaster Wagon and with the seat a good ways foward, it would swallow up as many sheets as you cared to load and then you could shut the gate

a 4x8 sheet of plywood will just barely fit in an avalanche, same for a suburban/yukon xl. I once had 15 sheets of 5/8 drywall in my yxl with the gate closed. good thing for air springs. why not get the truck you want and buy cheap flatbed trailer for the rare times you need to haul something big?

I hear the avalanches rattle a lot from a lack of structural bracing. I almost bought one when I got my yukon. glad I didn't, it's nice having 7 seats. and there are few things that won't fit in my 5x8 enclosed trailer.

I had 2 4x8 pieces of plywood in my trailblazer. Back seat down and the plywood stuck out the back with the hatch open only alittle bit. I did not use my trailer cause it is snowed in behind the garage. It was one of the coldest days but it was not too bad with the back end opened. We got good heaters !

from here:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=889117

One of the things bragged about in the Sales literature for the Venture/Silhouette/Montana was that it was able to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the back. That was mentioned in every brochure I saw for those vehicles, esp. when we leased our three in 1999, 2002 and 2005.