14/69

HarleyEarl

Posted Image

Just an observation. At time of writing this, 14 out of 69 posts today were GM focused. I'm just throwing this out there:

Is C&G becoming more a general automotive interest(and much not related to anything automotive) forum rather than a GM 'cheers and gears' forum? Was it always this way? Does it matter?

( And for the record, I'm as 'guilty' as anyone else).

Edited by HarleyEarl

C&G is slowly turning into more of a MySpace-like, touchy-feely place for certain people, and those people tend to be active members. I've said from the start that I joined this site to talk cars, not make friends, though the latter has happened through the process. I wish C&G would get as professional as it was in the beginning and lose a lot of the fluff that gets old after a while.

I'll just say that if you guys are talking about the Lounge... "Kick back, relax, and enjoy the company of your fellow C&Gers and GM fans. Anything goes, as long as it abides by our motto:

Fun Topics, Friendly People." Does that not mean anything off the topic of GM or possibly cars? I think it would as that is what Lounges are for. If not, well, might as well start another one for that then, like alot of other forums I visit.

Anyways, I joined this site for GM, cars... but had it not been for the openness and the community, I would have left a long time ago as GM mostly annoys me now.

C&G is slowly turning into more of a MySpace-like, touchy-feely place for certain people, and those people tend to be active members.  I've said from the start that I joined this site to talk cars, not make friends, though the latter has happened through the process.  I wish C&G would get as professional as it was in the beginning and lose a lot of the fluff that gets old after a while.

I don't really know what you're referring to. Outside the Lounge, most everything is professional and informative, aside from some arugmentation that goes back and forth [guilty as charged]. Even then, you're working out opinions to come to a logical conclusion, and sometimes people think differently from you no matter what. Myspace? I don't even go there, but the Lounge can be that way at times. If you don't like it, the don't participate, but don't hate. Your mom didn't teach you if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Share positive feelings, crocy.....

I think the worst problem C&G has is the constant barrade of bad news for GM. This is a GM fansite, and all we can logically do is assert who caused the problem [GM], and once we've reached that point, we're left wondering when we won't be reeling with bad news for our favorite company.

I think we have our up and down weeks as far as how much information is being traded around. I do like it when people can exchange ideas without getting heated or accusations. I get accused a lot....

I don't see a problem with the friendship and camraderie developed on this site. You can get the top stories anywhere and you can go to certain other sites and get lost in the mix.

However, the MySpace-y stuff is over with. Or at least it better be.

And I don't see a lack of professionalism outside the Lounge...which is why we have a Lounge. So...

Considering how many competitors there are and it is "Autoshow season" I don't think 14 out of 69 (1/5) is really that bad.

As for the "purpose", yes, this is a website dedicated to the improvement and success of General Motors.

My point of view…

It's not polite to constantly go to a McDonalds restaurant to order a Whopper, complain that McDonald’s patties aren’t square like Wendy's, or demand for the fries to be served to everyone in a cup like at Whataburger (regardless of how convenient it is to drivers).

If you don't like McDonald's menu selection, quit going to McDonalds restaurants. It doesn't help or encourage their customer base (who actually like McDonald’s food) if they must constantly "filter" through the negative rhetoric on a daily basis. It destroys the restaurant’s atmosphere and causes faithful customers (and potential new customers) to lose their appetite.

Remember, McDonald’s Corporate image and menu selection will not change in a day, week, month, or even a year. It takes time for new ideas to be implemented and old ways of thinking to be erased. For example, McDonald’s new salads, alone, spent 5 years in development thanks to Paul Newman. So, many non-customer facing issues must be dealt with before new menu items make it to the McDonald’s restaurants, regardless of how great the idea is. (And yes, McDonald’s Corporate knows the final product may look healthy but most are still as fattening as the other selections available. Once again, thanks to Paul Newman).

Mentioning disappointments and offering useful suggestions to the employees at a particular McDonald’s restaurant are perfectly acceptable and helpful, but please remember the employees behind the counter are not responsible for the menu items and can't implement the above changes. Discussing disappointments with fellow customers can also help, but the restaurants are strictly there to provide interested individuals a place to experience what McDonalds has to offer. There is no guarantee that McDonald’s Corporate will use any particular restaurant for feedback on existing/future menu items. You must contact McDonald’s Corporate directly if you wish to receive appropriate attention to valid concerns and/or complaints about the McDonalds menu.

:P

I think we have our up and down weeks as far as how much information is being traded around. I do like it when people can exchange ideas without getting heated or accusations. I get accused a lot....

Maybe I didn't express myself the most clearly...

What you said above is what I was getting at regarding the lack of professionalism. The whole "Toyota can go #*@& themselves" or "Jap crap" or other such expressions that get thrown around. It gets irritating when in a section like The Other Guys someone posts a picture of the new Lexus ES and while most of the members are wanting to discuss the positives/negatives of the new model and debate how it will affect GM and the marketplace in general, you will get a post like this one:

Wow... Lexus has made progress since the Early 1990s? Break out the Champagne!  :rolleyes:

This is why I try to avoid these threads. Sickening.

Posts like this are not professional, they do not contribute to the threads, and they don't even try to be intelligently objective.

Turbo, I've seen you post a few times on that other quiet site (not GMI) and if you go to the feedback thread in The Gearbox you can read a few posts by Flint and haypops to get a good feel for what I'm referring to.

Oh, and I too do not enjoy being accused of things I did not do...look at the *F* Cancels MetaOne thread for the latest, sterling example of this.

but the Lounge can be that way at times. If you don't like it, the don't participate, but don't hate. Your mom didn't teach you if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Share positive feelings, crocy.....

Remember when polls were banned for a while due to an overexuberant member creating 5+ polls per day for a week? Again, it isn't so much that anyone is doing anything "wrong," but that some people have a hard time knowing when to stop. Too much of a good thing...if you get my drift :AH-HA_wink:

Maybe I didn't express myself the most clearly...

What you said above is what I was getting at regarding the lack of professionalism.  The whole "Toyota can go #*@& themselves" or "Jap crap" or other such expressions that get thrown around.  It gets irritating when in a section like The Other Guys someone posts a picture of the new Lexus ES and while most of the members are wanting to discuss the positives/negatives of the new model and debate how it will affect GM and the marketplace in general, you will get a post like this one:

Posts like this are not professional, they do not contribute to the threads, and they don't even try to be intelligently objective.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It reflects poorly on the poster, the site, and the general environment if we cannot be constructive. I love GM, and I'm gonna be constructive with them like everyone else. You said it perfectly, taking it a from a context of the whole industry, how will this or this make's car affect the entire industry, and in particular GM. The problem is getting certain people to accept that objective point of view, and to treat every car brand as an equal. Consider it a weak defense mechanism.

Oh, and I too do not enjoy being accused of things I did not do...look at the *F* Cancels MetaOne thread for the latest, sterling example of this.

NEITHER do i. ya it sucks, I think i get it most often here though. consider it another example of a poor defense. once you can no longer defend your argument, resort to attacks.

I like the quiet site. Don't spread the word. I try to keep myself quiet over there too.

Edited by turbo200

my 2 cents......

I think they lounge is great and it is where I spend the most time but there are times when I think the threads do get out of hand. I think that the environment should be relaxed and easy going in a LOUNGE area but not totally lacking restraint.

Talk about your experience buying a car? sure

Talk about the lastest happenings in the news? sure

Talk about your recent trip? sure

Want some opions on a nagging question? sure

But i do think that some threads, such as the threads about peoples sexlives are completely inapropriate for this setting. i mean c'mon guys

Edited by 99camaroSS

I enjoy bouncing any number of subjects off of fellow members down here in the lounge. I know some things I say may cause discomfort, or even disgust in some other members. I do try not to go too far, or get too graphic. I try to regulate myself. As I've said on many occasions, if I offend anyone with some of my crap, let me know. I find "in your face" is not always the best way to approach things.

Here are some really HOT pictures:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

EDIT: Dammit, they won't work! I guess you all will just have to be imaginative. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by ocnblu