Rivieraranch Sells lovely blue P.A. Ultra

rivieraranch

I sold the Park Avenue Ultra shown in my signature. After 2 years and 40,000 miles it was time to let somebody else enjoy it before pushing it over the 50,000 mile mark. I never intended to keep it forever. One reason is that when it was originally offered to me I was led to believe that it had a shale interior; when I drove from Florida to North Carolina and saw it, the interior was gray. Despite realizing then I had been had by this country-boy dealer, being the good sport that I am I took the car anyway and made the best of the situation.

I have been shopping around for another vehicle and can't make up my mind what one to drive.

I was offered a lease payment (39 months, 12K miles/yr.) of $411.00 on a new light green Lucerne CXL V-6; with luxury package, driver confidence, MSRP $30,130.00. The capitalized cost was near invoice, around $28,400.00 with around $1,500.00 at inception, which included the first payment, tax, tag and some junk dealer fees.

I was offered a lease payment (36 months 15K miles/yr.) of $399.00 on a Volvo S60 with metallic paint and premium package, MSRP around $34,000.00. This deal, too, had about the same junk fees requested at inception. Volvo credit is giving great lease rates and also $3,500.00 dealer cash on the vehicle. That brings the capitalized cost of the Volvo down roughly on par with the Lucerne. The greedy folks at GMAC are not offering advantageous rates so the Lucerne lease is higher than the S60, despite the 2 cars costing the same. GM also maybe lowballing the Lucerne's residual value.

The problem with the S60 is that I did not like the way it handled. I drove 3 of them. The first one had a horrible front end vibration problem. The other 2 were still not as smooth as a comparable GM car when you get to highway speeds. Some of the wheel weights I saw on these brand new S60's were 3-4 inches long, much too heavy for new tires on a factory wheel. I think they are using lousy tires on these cars, too.

If I can't get a decent lease deal on a car that I like I will buy a gap vehicle. Is the lease payment on the Lucerne a good deal?

Edited by rivieraranch

I'm guessing you'd be able to kick a pretty good lease deal on an '05 LaCrosse CXS by now if you find one with the options you want. I'm thinking they're mostly gone, but you might be able to find a leftover somewhere.

If you really want a Lucerne I'd wait a month or so if possible and see if it doesn't have a little bit better deals by then. Right now though, the Lucerne seems to be selling very well so I don't know how soon it will get cash back.

I don't know if you like the new Impala, but you can probably do a bit better on it in terms of lease deals than the Lucerne right now.

A fully loaded LTZ comes in a $27,685, and I'm guessing invoice is about $26k or so. Again, I don't know if you like the Impala, but it would seem that you're getting a much better deal than the Lucerne and are paying mostly for the Buick vs. Chevy badge.

Another option might be a Montego. I'm not sure what deals those have but they're relatively nice (IMO the Lucerne interior is better though) and aren't exactly setting sales records, so the deals are probably pretty good.

How about a...

2006 9-5 2.3T Sedan

Automatic transmission and metallic paint

Starting at $399 mo./27 mo.*

$2,999 due at lease inception (includes down pmt., sec. dep., acq. fee & first mo. pmt.)

$350 disposition fee.

Residency restrictions apply. ‡

Effective: 2/1/2006 - 2/28/2006

Or a...

2006 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan

Starting at $299 mo./27 mo.*

$2,999 due at lease inception (includes down pmt., sec. dep., acq. fee & first mo. pmt.)

$350 disposition fee.

How about a...

2006 9-5 2.3T Sedan

Starting at $399 mo./27 mo.*

$350 disposition fee.

Or a...

2006 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan

Starting at $299 mo./27 mo.*

$350 disposition fee.

What is the total cost of ownership per month? That is the problem with all these phony lease payments; they distort the actual cost of the vehicle.

If the people who devise these lease schemes were honest about it, they would have to say it will cost you $500 or $600 per month to "drive" this car, so they disguise it by deceiving somebody into believing they can drive a $35,000.00 car for $299.00 per month (but with $6,000.00 down in fine print, of course).

I hate leasing, but it seems the best alternative in this present climate; they've got you, to an extent, but you've got them, too.

Congrats! :spin:

Personally I think the P.A.U. is one of the best looking Buicks this side of the Boattail while the Lucerne & Lacrosse strive for lukewarm and end up at average. I do find that the Lucerne is growing on me though.

What is the total cost of ownership per month? That is the problem with all these phony lease payments; they distort the actual cost of the vehicle.

If the people who devise these lease schemes were honest about it, they would have to say it will cost you $500 or $600 per month to "drive" this car, so they disguise it by deceiving somebody into believing they can drive a $35,000.00 car for $299.00 per month (but with $6,000.00 down in fine print, of course).

I hate leasing, but it seems the best alternative in this present climate; they've got you, to an extent, but you've got them, too.

not sure what you mean by total cost of ownership, but Saab does include total maintenence...don't know if that helps any.

I agree that the Lucerne sounds a bit overpriced, perhaps the March Madness sale can help that, there's also the Lacrosse, though I personally prefer the Lucerne much more. The thing is, that is a really high rate, I've seen Explorers advertised at 299 for a sweetheart lease deal. Something tells me, there are other factors going into the high price of the Lucerne, some you mentioned above. Good luck and happy hunting...

EDIT: CTS, STS, and a whole other crop of luxury cars [Acura TL, TSX, Lincoln LS etc] might be good choices based on high residuals and relative age

Edited by turbo200