Chrysler & VW

carman21

As you may have already have heard VW will be getting minivans from Chrysler or DCX as some may say. Well, I have heard a rumor that VW will try to increase its revenue in NA by outsourcing its platform to Chrysler Group. This is very interesting news if true. Remember that the Ford 500 is based on the Volvo S80 and the Ford Fusion is based off the Volvo S60. Also, remember that the Saab 9-3 & Opel is the basis from which the Epsilon came from. So, if the Jetta & Passat platforms are leased out to DCX for Chrysler Group. The Jetta may form the basis for the next gen Stratus/Sebring after the Galant based one is replaced. The Passat could be transformed into a Ford 500-like car for Dodge & Chrysler. Ironically, the Passat could be the basis for the next DCX minivans and ultimately cycle back to VW.

VW could make good on this. Think about it the platforms can be modified for CUVs & Vans. So, VW could make a killing. DCX benefits too.

I think Chrysler could use a nudge in a more mainstream direction. Chrysler could match Ford in size if it plays its cards right. VW could be a big help. Chrysler could even help VW develop cars for the NA market. I think much will be gained by a VW/DCX partnership even only on a techsharing level.

Right now that relationship could spur two major compilations...

The minivan sharing that has already been released...

Small car is where DCX wants some help

Other things such as the Cloud cars are soon to be realsed on the galant/eclipse platform so redesigning those is a little bit away...

Depending on how far things go, Chrysler may get a hand on Lamborghini just like it did in the early 1990's, except to a lesser extent.

If a VW platform were used for any Sebring/Stratus, it would have to be for the Mark IV cars at the soonest.

he Mark III cloud cars are to be based on a platform jointly developed with Mitsubishi.

I don't think Chrysler's German overlords give it enough credit. It seems like Chrysler is being used as an outlet for new "Mitsubishis" and reworked old Mercedes-Benz components.

I hear though Chrysler engineers actually had a hand in developing the R-Class, but I don't see why Chrysler couldn't help lead development of a small car platform instead of VW. With Chrysler leading, it could ultimately be more affordable.

• 2 weeks later...