Two ideas to help Buick get ahead

dwightlooi

(1) Electrochromic Windows

This is nothing new. The technology has been around for decades. The window glass has an electrochromic film applied onto it or sandwiched between two panes of glass. The film is almost clear until voltage is applied on it when it turns dark. The level of darkness can be controlled at the touch of a button or turn of a dial. Each passenger can control the darkness of his window. The driver can have a master override to darken or lighten all windows if needed. In addition, the car can be engineered to for example automatically lighten glass when reverse is engaged or have different default darkness settings in the day and at night. This basically makes window tinting obsolete. It can also replace those clunky sun shades found on some luxury cars. It is also safe in the sense that the failure state is clear.

resgall_4.jpg

(2) 99.9% UVA / UVB proof glass all around (Buick China)

Let's put it this way. The Chinese by and large don't want a tan. They want to be Victorian pale. 2/3rds the cosmetic products on the store shelves are about skin lightening. Ladies carry umbrellas, wear long sleeves, don gloves and cover up with opague stockings on sunny days just to stay fair. And, if their natural skin tone isn't that fair to begin with, they bleach it or put on light color foundations to cover it up. Fairness equates to superior status, bloodline, intellect, education, wealth and, yes, beauty. You are not going to sell many convertibles in China. Moonroofs? Well, most buyers see it as headroom robbing annoyance that they won't opened for years if ever. But an advertisement that says "Drive Buick, Stay Fair" that might just be a home run.

umbrellas-027-780415.jpg

I've wanted to see ElectroChromatic windows for years... but I fear that law enforcement would see it as a threat if the perp could black out their windows at will.

Of course, I'd like to see where this would work when the vehicle is not running... to turn a chrome sheen to reflect heat out of the interior. I hate hot cars from sitting in the summer sun. This would have interior materials last much better, as well.

I've wanted to see ElectroChromatic windows for years... but I fear that law enforcement would see it as a threat if the perp could black out their windows at will.

Of course, I'd like to see where this would work when the vehicle is not running... to turn a chrome sheen to reflect heat out of the interior. I hate hot cars from sitting in the summer sun. This would have interior materials last much better, as well.

(1) It is actually relatively easy to comply with local laws with electrochromic glass. As with tinted windows, most countries have a defined maximum level of tint which is legal. Sometimes the limit is also different for front and rear glass. Most of the time it is not so much that they don't want drivers to be able to hide their faces, but that too dark a tint is viewed as a safety hazard, especially at night. Unlike actual tinting which is permanent, we can set "soft" limits with electrochromic windows. That is the window itself may be capable of being darker than the law allows, but depending on where the car is sold, the maximum setting is lowered to the legal limit. This can simply be a firmware that the factory or dealer can load the car with. Of course, someone can try to "crack" the firmware or install 3rd party modifications to the system and defeat that, but someone can also put on illegally dark conventional tint (and many do). That does not make electrochromic glass or legal levels of conventional window tint unacceptable in the eyes of LE.

(2) You cannot actually turn an electrochromic pane reflective. They only go from nearly clear to some shade of grey. The kind of glass that goes from clear to a silvery opague like is called Electrotransflective. Different material altogether. If you want both capabilities it'll have to be two layers of film -- one for tint, one of reflectivity. Now... I think that'll be a REALLY FANCY option for a car.

Edited by dwightlooi

ElectroChromatic glass would be a nice feature if the cost could be kept down. I cannot see many people spending big money for this feature like they would for an upgraded stereo or sun roof. You can get your windows tined for under $200 at many shops around here so the feature would have to compete price wise with that.

Quality is another concern. Can we be sure that the quality will hold up in an automotive application. How hard would it be to repair the glass should an issue occur such as a cracked window or an electrical faliure.

What about the stuff used to make transition lenses (eye glasses)? It simply reacts to the sun so it must be simpler to deal with. There are no wires or control modules to control it. Since the technology is already out in the consumer market it must be possible to find out the durability and cost of using the product.

• Agree 1

ElectroChromatic glass would be a nice feature if the cost could be kept down. I cannot see many people spending big money for this feature like they would for an upgraded stereo or sun roof. You can get your windows tined for under $200 at many shops around here so the feature would have to compete price wise with that.

Quality is another concern. Can we be sure that the quality will hold up in an automotive application. How hard would it be to repair the glass should an issue occur such as a cracked window or an electrical faliure.

What about the stuff used to make transition lenses (eye glasses)? It simply reacts to the sun so it must be simpler to deal with. There are no wires or control modules to control it. Since the technology is already out in the consumer market it must be possible to find out the durability and cost of using the product.

Actually, IMHO, electrochromic glass in a car has mcuh more "wow" value than a moonroof or an upgraded stereo. The reason simply being that nobody has it, whereas everyone has a moonroof or stereo (upgraded or not). I'll say it is palatable as a $1500 option... same price as GPS Nav system w/backup camera and upgraded stereo thrown in.

If you break the glass you'll need to get an electrochromic pane from the dealer to replace it. There is actually no moving parts so mechanical failure is unlikely. If the connections fail the panel defaults to clear. The material is voltage sensitive but not temperature sensitive... in fact.. the Boeing 787 uses electrochromic windows in lieu of sunshades. The passenger as a button where he/she can finger through 5 levels of tint. The flight attendants have a master switch to tint down or clear up all windows if needed.

• Agree 1

One of the reasons I don't like tinted glass is that at night I have difficulty seeing out of it. The electrochromatic glass would be perfect for me.

I've noticed my night vision going away with age a little bit also...

I like both ideas for the options list.

Now that I think about it, Dwight is making some sense...