Market Share & Sales (everything you want to know)

This is the market share as of March 1st 2006.

In the intrest of convience, I'm including only makers who have a market share of 1% or more.

(If they aren't listed here, they have less than a 1% market share....

yes, this includes Mitsubishi)

GM-------------24.4

Ford------------17.4

Chrysler---------14.4

Toyota----------13.6

Honda------------8.5

Nissan------------6.7

Hyundai-----------2.7

Mazda------------1.7

Kia & BMW(tied)---1.6

VW---------------1.4

Mercedes Benz-----1.2

Subaru-------------1.1

Of this group, the company with the biggest sales increase is VW (over 24% increase in sales over last year) followed by Mercedes Benz (over 16%) and Honda (over 14%).

Biggest losers: Subaru (-3.4%), Ford (-0.8%), and Nissan (managed a 0.7% gain).

Mitsubishi lost 21% of it's sales over last year, enough to give it a mere 0.6% of the US market. GM gained 1.3% in sales (and about 1 point gain in market share).

The most mind numbing drop in sales over last year?

Jaguar. Down 40%.

The most stunning climb?

Maserati. Up 115%.

Intresting facts:

*The single model BMW Mini owns 0.2% of the US market. Identical to GM's ENTIRE Saab line.... and nearly half of Audis.

*Pontiac's GTO owns a far bigger share of the US market than the Isuzu division.

*For the month of February, Chrysler increased it's gap with Toyota. 15.1% to Toyota's 13.2.

*Not mentioned in the press, Chrysler is within 3% market share of Ford and, has a real possibility of overtaking Ford within the next 18-24 months if little changes at Ford and Chrysler keeps expanding their lineup.

*The Chevrolet Impala alone could be the 8th biggest selling brand manufacturer in the US, right between the entire line of Mazda and Kia.

*Saturn's within 700 cars of outselling Mitsubishi this year so far. Corvette's within 300 of all Porsche models combined.

*Pontiac still sold 210 Bonnevilles last month, though the car's been discontinued for 2 years. That's nothing. They still sold 64 Olds Aleros.

*Grand Prix fans, sales of your car are up...64.5% over last year!

*There were 194 Ford GTs sold last month. An sales increase of 4,750% over last year.

Also at Ford, almost across the board their cars are doing very well, only 2 cars seeing sales declines: the soon to be discontinued Taurus (-8%) and the "should-have-brought-over-the-new-Euro-model-instead-of-this-lame-restyling" Focus (-10%).

However, Ford's SUVs almost across the board are seeing drops in excess of 20%! The only time you can use "Ford & Mercury trucks and SUVs" and "increase sales" in the same sentence are: Freestyle, F-series, & Heavy trucks. Year to date Lincoln sales are up (Zephyr) while Mercury sales are down (exclusively because of the discontinued Sable).

Chrysler 300 was the 11th best selling car in the US last month, and it's sales are still climbing. Chrysler 300 is now the best selling car in the Luxury Large Car segment, outselling it's nearest competitor 2 to 1. Charger is catching on, sales up 26%.

Dodge Ram is selling at 50% of what Ford is selling, and 2/3s of Chevrolet's Silverado. Chrysler's minivan is in it's 22nd year as the US' best selling. For those of you who still are locked in the mindset that retro design has short legs, the retouched PT Cruser saw a sales jump of 45%.

Sold over 11,000 to Chevy's 8,000 HHRs.

About twice as many Chevy dealers than Chrysler, so dealers are making bank selling more PTs through fewer dealers.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs...603020340/1148

Chrysler

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060201/dew021.html?.v=42

GM

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=6&docid=23788

Ford

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...&make_id=trust

Interesting stuff. I'm guessing the PT is only beating the HHR due to fleet sales and big discounts. HHR has no rebates last I checked and probably very few fleet sales since GM can't always keep production high enough to meet dealer demand.

Very interesting read. GM dropped quite a bit in Canada so far this year, too. Looks like GM is headed for 26% market share in Canada.

The HHR is doing well with interest rates up around 5% here. We are being told orders in Canada may be cut short because demand is so high in the States.

Looks like Lutz was right and Wagoner wasn't.....

The single model BMW Mini owns 0.2% of the US market. Identical to GM's ENTIRE Saab line.... and nearly half of Audis.

I was watching the 11 OP clock news a couple of nights ago. There had been a moderate rain during the day. They showed a mini on a flat bed truck and were interviewing the tow truck driver. He said he makes a lot of money when it rains because the mini engines hydrolock when they go through the puddles. This can't help their sales.

I was watching the 11 OP clock news a couple of nights ago.  There had been a moderate rain during the day.  They showed a mini on a flat bed truck and were interviewing the tow truck driver.  He said he makes a lot of money when it rains because the mini engines hydrolock when they go through the puddles.  This can't help their sales.

Never happened to mine. What I can tell you is that my car has terrible materials and interior build quality... If that's BMW typical build quality, I'm not buying anything from BMW ever again...

It is incredibly fun to drive, though...

Very interesting read.  GM dropped quite a bit in Canada so far this year, too.  Looks like GM is headed for 26% market share in Canada.

The HHR is doing well with interest rates up around 5% here.  We are being told orders in Canada may be cut short because demand is so high in the States. 

Looks like Lutz was right and Wagoner wasn't.....

Have you heard about the 1000$ drop in price for the Cobalt/Pursuit? I think those cars were overpriced.