anticipated lsX

loki

other than the possible supercharged 6.2L in the corvette, any ideas of this engine's designation and output #'s ? (not the specs from the escalade now) any news on this or ideas when (near official) news of this would appear?

• 1 month later...

other than the possible supercharged 6.2L in the corvette, any ideas of this engine's designation and output #'s ?  (not the specs from the escalade now) any news on this or ideas when (near official) news of this would appear?

Just a guess, but I'd say 440 hp wouldn't be tough, as the LS2 is probably easily capable of more than 400hp. The aditional .2 liters would help too. I thought there was something said about such an engine in the 2007 'vette? If this was the case, that would kinda be moving in on Z06 territory.

• 2 weeks later...

A Blurb from the three valve pdf. pg6

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs/09-2003/1-111-9-26.pdf

The 6.3-L version of the engine will produce 500 hp

(373 kW), for example. So the new pump produces twice the

80 gal/min (300 L/min) of coolant provided by the two-valve

engine’s water pump.

The DOD system and cam phaser increase the demand for

oil pressure, so both the V8 and V6 engines get improved oil

pumps. The V8’s is a two-phase oil pump, switching between

high and low flow as needed to maintain the necessary oil

pressure without suffering excessive parasitic losses when

lower pressure is sufficient. The V6 is even more efficient,

with a variable displacement oil pump that continuously

adjusts its output for maximum efficiency.

The engines also feature optimized exhaust manifolds with

equal flow runners for each cylinder.

Do we really need 500hp? How about using technology to increase v8 mileage across the board while still delivering comparable or increased HP over current models? If they say the camaro concept can get 30 mpg highway with a DoD 6.0L, what could it do with a more advanced DoD 5.0L smallblock, etc.

Wouldn't it have to rev awfully high to get 500hp NA from 6.2-6.3L? It has not typically been GMs way to rev the heck out of engines just to get a high peak hp number.

I love the 427 LS7. That number has so much heritage.

Why'd they even bother to make it if its only going to be around a few year and only in the Corvette?

Get this in the Camaro/ GTO/ CTS-V and RWD Impala! Maybe a Truck version too

Why'd they even bother to make it if its only going to be around a few year and only in the Corvette?

Corporate average fuel economy.

Some of you are salivating about 400 and 500 hp RWD Chevrolets and Pontiacs, but $4.00 to $6.00/gallon gasoline could easily suppress demand for such cars. And many want CAFE increased dramatically. A few even support the return of the 55 mph speed limit.

Some of you are salivating about 400 and 500 hp RWD Chevrolets and Pontiacs, but $4.00 to $6.00/gallon gasoline could easily suppress demand for such cars.  And many want CAFE increased dramatically.  A few even support the return of the 55 mph speed limit.

Exactly what I'm saying. I think that GM has the ability to capitalize on the strong positive association consumers have with the chevy smallblock by downsizing it, and utilizing the best technology to make a wonderfully powerful and flexible v8 that gets mileage to make some v6s look like gas hogs.

On a mildly related note, everyone seems to be obsessed with making things smaller, cell phones, computer chips, laptops, etc. Wouldn't it be great marketing to present what would be the equivilant of a die shrink for GMs engines and make it look like a big technological advance.

I imagine the day when GM is ahead of the fuel economy curve, uses small, efficient v8 smallblocks as the step up motor in many of it's vehicles (not just trucks but cars) with 3v heads and DoD, maybe even DI. They couple this to those alternators that shut down the engine at a stop to make a car that gets great power, and killer gas mileage. You can't just catch up to the competition at this point, you must exceed it.

If the 3V isn't completely dead....it is waaay on the back burner. And that pdf file is pretty old too.

all the more reason for them to have had the time to get it working, use it's benefits and work out any problems.

but also with the $ crunch it could've been dropped to save money...have to wait and find out... hopefully not not wait too long.

Some of you are salivating about 400 and 500 hp RWD Chevrolets and Pontiacs, but $4.00 to $6.00/gallon gasoline could easily suppress demand for such cars.  And many want CAFE increased dramatically.  A few even support the return of the 55 mph speed limit.

I don't really buy that. Because number one---if they put it in say 2500 GTOs, 2500 Camaros and 2500 CTS V's--that would barely make a dent. They could limit production.

Number 2: A S/C 6.2L or tightly wound high rpm 500hp 6.2L would get some real close fuel numbers to the 427 I think. Can't be far off at all IMO

Add DOD to the 427.

I think they should worry about CAFE where they sell alot of cars. The Epsilons are far heavier then the competiton. And while the 6 speed auto is coming out its not across the board....yet. GM keeps talking direct injection (that is suppose to help fuel economy I beleive.) for Ecotecs and HF V6 cars--but other the the new 2L Turbo--no car has it.